Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

orphaned kitten nursing on my ear

katem
July 15th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I recently adopted a 6-week old kitten, Abigail, who was found at 1-2 days old. The vet who had her explained that the other kittens in the litter had succumbed to 'fading kitten syndrome'. Abigail was the only survivor and had been hand-fed. She's a friendly little kitten, comes to work with me and has been adopted by my co-workers and attends meeting.

Here's the thing - she is happy to be 'cat-napped' during the day by anyone that her up, but as soon as she hears my voice, she mews, gallops back to my office, claws up my leg and begins to nurse on my ear. It's cute, and I'm guessing she's imprinted on me as 'mommy', but how long can I expect this to last? She's 8 weeks now. BTW - there's one other woman in the office that she does this to, as well - why would she do this with someone who's not her 'mommy'? Thanks, katem

Jim Hall
July 15th, 2007, 09:16 PM
maybe you both smell alike? same perfume or cosmetics

otter
July 15th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Katem, sorry I can't answer your question but how amazing of you to adopt such a little sweety:angel: .
Your office sounds incredible too! That kitten must be in heaven..:cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
July 16th, 2007, 12:18 AM
I agree, otter...I'd love to work at a place that allowed pets! :cloud9:

Sorry, though, katem--no clue as to why your kitty does what she does...or how long she'll do it :shrug: hazel is a dog person...no cat experience at all :o

growler~GateKeeper
July 16th, 2007, 12:35 AM
This was from another thread:

1) She regularly kneads and sucks on blankets and almost get a possessed look in her eye until you pet her and talk to her.

This was my response from that thread:
This is usually because the cat was taken from/lost mom before weaned or was ready (some cats take longer to "let go" of needing mom than others) this is a comfort to her, kind of like a soother to babies. It's okay for her to be sucking on the blanket, try to get her a blanket that doesn't shed fluffy stuff - so she doesn't ingest too much of it.

I reposted that here because the same principle applies to your situation; kitten w/out mum before weaned/ready to leave. In your case she sucks your ear not blanket, that's okay too. This is her comfort soother, her showing affection to mom. It is likely she will always do this - IMO kinda cute:) .

As to why she does it w/someone else, she probably feels as comfortable with her as she does with you - it has nothing to do w/prefering her over you or liking her better - she may just sense this woman is okay w/this display of affection, some cats are super friendly w/everyone, some just w/one person.

Got pics???:D