Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chicos glands??

chico2
July 15th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Chico for quiet a while now,has this thing happening in his anus,I showed the vet the last time we were there,but she simply flicked it of,saying it was nothing.
Well,it always comes back,first it's like a white fluid,then it hardens like a brown scab,looks like leftover poop,but it's not.
I am calling for an appointment tomorrow morning,he is due for his check-up anyway..
This time I am not letting the vet dismiss it,it is definetly something,since it keeps coming back.It does not smell bad,could it still be the glands??
Whatever it is I'll get it fixed,he seems to be a little angrier with Rocky and Vinnie,maybe this is really bothering him?
What do you think??

Frenchy
July 15th, 2007, 05:21 PM
he seems to be a little angrier with Rocky and Vinnie,maybe this is really bothering him?
What do you think??

Could be a sign , but I really don't know what this could be.

cpietra16
July 15th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I hope you get all your questions answered ...good luck. My cats never had this kind of problem. Sorry I can't help

growler~GateKeeper
July 15th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Never had this w/mine but if he is having soreness sitting, pooping, washing there it could be glands need to be expressed. My sisters' neutered male 10+yr old just had issues w/anal glands:yuck: (cleared up now w/med, rest[limited 2 kitchen & no interaction w/her other cats] & e collar) I never saw what it looked like thankfully, & she didn't mention if it was smelly except of course when the Vet expressed them - that I know is super smelly:yuck: :yuck:

good luck :fingerscr & don't let the vet say it's nothing - maybe to them but not to you:goodvibes:

krdahmer
July 16th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Ya know Chico2, I've just been noticing something similar with Buddy. I went to take off what looked to be a big cling-on the other day and when I pulled it off he kind of jumped, when I looked at the 'cling-on' it was poop on the outside but there was more... a white-ish kind of pointy crust. This didn't come from the sides (where I think the glands are?) but more over the top and his poor little pooper was red in that spot for a couple hours after. Now I just looked today and the 'cling-on' is back again. I haven't ever seen a discharge though as this stuff is already crusty when I see it. Sound anything like Chico's?

clm
July 16th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I've never had the problem with any of my cats either Chico2. I hope the vet has some answers for you this time around and that it's nothing to worry about.

Cindy

chico2
July 16th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Dahmer.it sure does,Chico does not like it when I pull it off either and it leaves some redness.
It does otherwise not seem to cause him any discomfort,his too is on the top part of his little anus:confused:
I have an appointment for wednesday morning at the vet,for his check-up and shots,so we'll see.
I'll let you know...
As for discharge,if I check a few minutes after I pull that thingy off,I can see white discharge.

dtbmnec
July 16th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Aww poor Chico....poor Buddy....

Hope you find out what's wrong with them and soon :)

Megan

krdahmer
July 16th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Hm... ya I guess there could be a discharge, but of course after pulling off the first piece I was no longer allowed in the rear area! :rolleyes: It really doesn't seem to bother him at all, in fact even after I pulled it off, despite turning so I couldn't see his rear anymore he went back to sleep like nothing had happened.

Ya that'd be great if you let me know what your vet says about Chico, that way I can decide if Buddy needs to go in (moola is tight right now). I tried to look up some info on the net but have no idea what to search under... cat and anus come up with some disturbing sites. :yuck:

Oh and I didn't mention but, Buddy's didn't really smell either thats why I assumed not anal glands... Palomine has issues with his and man do I know it when he does, they really stink.

Love4himies
July 16th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Poor Chico, me thinks he needs extra love :) !

rainbow
July 16th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Sorry to hear about Chico. :grouphug: I have no idea what it could be but I hope your vet gives you an answer this time. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

rainbow
July 16th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I googled "feline white discharge anus" and found this: :shrug:

Q: I just noticed that my cats are starting to have a milky looking discharge from their anus. At first I thought it was a little diarrhea. This morning I watched a drop of the discharge for a moment and to my surprise it was moving. It looks like a very tiny worm. These worm like things dry up very quickly and have the appearance of a seed. I'm assuming that these seed looking things are eggs that will soon start reproducing in the near future. Have you any idea of what this could be and is there any suggested treatment.

A: Your cats almost certainly have tapeworms. What you see is one segment of the tapeworm, which is a specialized muscular egg sac. As it wiggles around it spreads tapeworm eggs. These are eaten by fleas. The cat eats the flea and starts the cycle all over again. The only really effective, safe tapeworm medications are prescription dewormers available from your veterinarian. Praziquantal (Droncit Rx, others) and epsiprantal (Cestex Rx) are the active ingredients that are both safe and effective.

JanM
July 16th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I'll be anxious to hear the vet results! Poor Chico and Buddy.. it must be uncomfortable and embarassing for them too!

CyberKitten
July 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM
So sorry to hear about Chico and Buddy - wish I could guess what it is but I have never hat a cat with anal gland problems. I suppose it could be tapeworms worms since a white rice like substance from the anus can often be that. but I think my guessing is not going to help - I think the appt with your vet will!! I hope they can find what it is and if not, you should get a 2nd opinion.
In the meantime, here is a page on tapeworm in cats:

http://www.cat-world.com.au/TapewormInCats.htm

(It may not be that at all but anal gland probs tend to hurt - tho cats are very good at hiding pain so it's hard to judge tho if he is cranky with his buddies???

Good luck!!!

chico2
July 16th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I don't think it's tapeworm,I've seen Tape-worm before,but thank's for the info.
Also he is a hefty 16lb's would he not lose weight if he had tape-worm?
The discharge is not something that drips off,it will be a tiny drop,that forms in to what looks like a cling-on,darkbrown and crusty.
I am supposed to get a poop-sample,which means I have to run after him every time he goes downstairs to the bathroom:laughing: to make sure I get the right poop.
Oh and Chico gets tons of loving,he's a real lovebug,loves kisses and cuddling.:lovestruck:

rainbow
July 16th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I presumed you knew what tape worm looked like. When I read the intro information on Google I thought "hey, this sounds like what you described" but when I read the answer I was disappointed. Thought I would post it anyway so that's why I used the " :shrug: ".

Anyways, good luck with the poop chase. :D And, with getting an answer from the vet. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

krdahmer
July 17th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Yes we've had tapeworm here too and thats definitely not it. More like crusty poop, with crusty white stuff on it.

chico2
July 17th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Dahmer,I have an appointment for 9:15am tomorrow,I'll let you know,ok!
Right now Chico has a big brown thingy and I am leaving it,maybe they can test it and see what it is:confused:
I am not bothering with a poopsample,it's just another way to add $30 to the bill,there is nothing wrong with his digestion,this problem is a surface thing.
I actually hate to go there anually to get their shots,shots they probably don't need,it's not the money,it will cost me about $130,but I worry they have their shots to often.
The vet does not agree though..except for rabies and they get that every 2 yrs.

rainbow
July 17th, 2007, 08:12 PM
That's a good idea to get the "thingy" tested. Make sure you tell her before she gets a chance to just "flick it off" again. :frustrated: Good luck at the vet tomorrow. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
July 18th, 2007, 10:23 AM
We are back,Chico is in perfect health,teeth,shiny coat etc..
She took him in to the backroom and checked out his anus,what he has is a small harmless cyst,since it does not bother him to just leave it.
If it gets bigger,then something might have to be done about it.
So Dahmer,we'll just have to keep on flicking..:)

dtbmnec
July 18th, 2007, 10:59 AM
O.o

A cyst? And you just leave it there? O.o

Well then....I guess there's not much to do about it....

How strange though....

Megan

Hunter's_owner
July 18th, 2007, 12:03 PM
We are back,Chico is in perfect health,teeth,shiny coat etc..
She took him in to the backroom and checked out his anus,what he has is a small harmless cyst,since it does not bother him to just leave it.
If it gets bigger,then something might have to be done about it.
So Dahmer,we'll just have to keep on flicking..:)

Glad to hear that he is in good health. :)

clm
July 18th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Great news that it's nothing serious. I bet you're relieved.
Hugs to Chico.

Cindy

JanM
July 18th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Glad to hear that all is well with Chico!

chico2
July 18th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks everyone,he's snoozing deeply right now..
Megan,the vet probed inside his anus,to make sure it was not internal,what he has is almost like a human hemmoroid,except it has white liquid in it,that turns in to a brown scab and it's only on the surface.
If it gets bigger and Chico gets uncomfortable,he will have it sugically removed.
But for now he is fine,no need to put him through surgery.

rainbow
July 18th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Glad to hear Chicois in perfect health. :highfive: I've never heard of that though....does it have a name or is it actually called feline hemmoroids? :confused:

glasslass
July 18th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I'm glad to hear it's nothing serious. It's always nice to get glowing reaffirmation of good health! The expense of having had it checked is worth it for the peace of mind. And, if it had been something serious, better to catch it early.:thumbs up

chico2
July 19th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Rainbow,the vet just called it a cyst:confused: no other name..
One thing that baffles me over and over,every time we discuss foods...this was yet another vet in an office with multiple vets:yell: and she said the food they sell(Hills,Medical)is the BEST pet-food available:yell:
I told her I do not agree,I've done my research and feed my cats what I believe is best for them,end of argument!

krdahmer
July 19th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Buddy says whew! He's lounging in front of the keyboard right now... I think I'll have my vet take a look too when we go to get his teeth checked in a short while just to be sure it's the same and nothing to worry about. I know for a fact it is not interfering with his poopin... he has the biggest ones in the house!:rolleyes:

Oh and yet another reason I love my vet Chico, she actually helped me choose my new food by going over ingredients with me. Of course I was recommended Medi-cal when Fagan first started the allergy stuff, but when I switched from it she actually helped me decide what to go to next. :thumbs up

Oh and in another post if you saw it, Dr. Lee agreed with my vet that an indoor cat could go every 2-3 years for shots.

:goodvibes:

chico2
July 20th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Dahmer,it will be interesting to hear what your vet says about this"cyst",Chico is getting tired of me looking at his privates:laughing:
I had a vet like yours,she was wonderful,but she moved home to Scotland.
Now,in the same office,there seems to be different vets all the time,I really liked the one who looked at Chico,except for the food-issue.
As for vaccinations,my cats are not strictly indoors,as you know they go outside with us every day,but never encounter stray cats or other animals.
Because they go in our backyard,the vet says they need their shots every year(rabies 2yrs).
My cats have had their shots every year,but I am really considering skipping Rockys in October,he is 11yrs old and has had 11yrs worth of shots.
He is kind of scrawny looking now at only 12 lbs,with his Hyperthyroidism and I worry about adding to his problems,he gets a bloodtest every 6 months.

CyberKitten
July 20th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Glad to hear Chico had a good exam! I agree with your decision re the shots- I tend to skips years too, especially since my cats rarely venture too far. (YY the most since she does visit children in the hospital). They need the rabies one especially though for travel.