Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hip Problems?

Lnewcooper
May 9th, 2004, 05:13 PM
My two years old Rott/Shepard mix was neutered 4 weeks ago and has difficulty jumping and climbing since (unable to climb into bed or into car). The pain seems more now then the first week post surgery. I palpated the surgical area and he doesn't seem to have pain there. He did have X-rays done last year before he started agility to check for hip dysplasia but everything was fine. Do you feel he could have been hurt during surgery, developed a hernia or that it could be hip dysplasia? :confused:

Karin
May 9th, 2004, 05:27 PM
My two years old Rott/Shepard mix was neutered 4 weeks ago and has difficulty jumping and climbing since (unable to climb into bed or into car). The pain seems more now then the first week post surgery. I palpated the surgical area and he doesn't seem to have pain there. He did have X-rays done last year before he started agility to check for hip dysplasia but everything was fine. Do you feel he could have been hurt during surgery, developed a hernia or that it could be hip dysplasia? :confused:

In no way is there a risk of a hernia or injury from a simple neuter. Are you sure it is his hips or could it be his cruciate ligiment? So many "ifs" here and little info input. What rads he had last year does not count towards this year, I would have him checked over again including recent radiologly images.

Lnewcooper
May 11th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks, it was his ccl. We are on our way to surgery, please pray for his full recovery.

Spoiled
May 11th, 2004, 01:07 PM
All fingers crossed. :)

MEEKA
May 11th, 2004, 01:40 PM
What Is His Ccl?

Karin
May 11th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Thanks, it was his ccl. We are on our way to surgery, please pray for his full recovery.

Good luck...this is a common injury...in large breed dogs it is imperative to keep them very quiet and still for 8 weeks, sedate him if needed! Crate and cage only and you will have to walk him supporting his hind quarters with a towel or sheet, a sling, I find a sheet works better.
And keep his weight down! I cannot stress this enough! MSM & Glucosamines will do wonders for him. I am sure your vet will walk you through this...you have the hard job, post op care.
Update asap Please!
I am crossing paws for a successful Sx!