Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Worried about my boy!

Winston
July 15th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Well today my male cat Bomber started to walk a little funny...He is a 10 year old neutered scaredy cat! Bomber was abused for the first few weeks of his life but has been my baby since he was 3 months old!

He is quite a vocal cat but today he is rather quiet and having trouble walking or jumping. He seems to favor his back end and has been licking down there. So I had a look...boy you would have thought I was killing him....He is very hairy so it was hard to see but it appears that there is a little crack in the skin and it appears not red but there was a teeny bit of blood around the little crack..

He has eaten just fine...I watched him and checked a couple of his pee's today and did not see blood? He is also drinking his water?

I am worried though because after I had a look he went and hid under the bed upstairs!! I have not seen him really hide since he was a kitten?? I have been so fortunate though...both him and his sister have never been sick before! other than a tape worm many years ago when I first got them and a UTI about 4 years ago?

We will be off to the vet for sure in the morning...It does not appear to be life or death but just needed to rant a little as I feel so bad for my boy! and I dont have a clue what it could be?? I was thinking maybe anal glands but there is no smell??

Cindy

mummummum
July 15th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Winston hun you are being just a little tooooooo discreet. He has a fissure (a crack in the skin) on his anus ?

Frenchy
July 15th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Winston hun you are being just a little tooooooo discreet. He has a fissure (a crack in the skin) on his anus ?

:laughing: :sorry: I was trying to figure where is the crack too !

Winston
July 15th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Okay! call me crazy? what is that? I wasnt trying to be discreet because he is so furry I couldnt tell you if it was on his penis or anus?? :laughing:

But how is this treated? Could it be a food related issue? he has been on the orijen cat food for about 3 months now?

Cindy

Winston
July 15th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Ooops I fogot to ask is there anything I can do to make him more comfy?

Frenchy
July 15th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Is it saying hello to you ? If so , it's his anus :laughing: is you saw some blood , maybe he was a bit constipated and tried too much to do his number 2 ? :o

Winston
July 15th, 2007, 04:08 PM
It is not on his anus! for sure but to the side of it..Thats why I was thinking anal gland...but the skin around it looks weird...almost like there is blood under the skin?? hard to describe..

Does constipation cause these fishers? (sorrt about spelling!)

Cindy

Frenchy
July 15th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I had a cat with constipation problem but never noticed anything around this area.

mummummum
July 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Based on your description it may be a hemmarrhoid.

Winston
July 15th, 2007, 05:53 PM
It could be! I feel for him...he never ever acts sick..I guess the important things are that he is eating, drinking and peeing! have not seen a poop yet? but he is just walking gingerly??

We will see what the vet says.....I hate my vet! Sounds pretty bad eh! I only started using her because my folks did! She has absolutely no bedside manor if you know what I mean! In and out! business like..doesnt really take the time with me?

I will let you know what they say! The trick will be getting an appointment!

Cindy

badger
July 15th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Sounds like a perfect occasion to find another vet. Anyone know a good vet in Hamilton?

dtbmnec
July 16th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I went to the vet on Upper James....the one near the Barn....

They seemed nice and had a discount if you had multiple pets....

*shrugs* that's about all I know :)

Megan

Winston
July 16th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Well looks like we will hopefully be going tomorrow to the vet. Transportation is a problem as we have one car and my man woks out of town! I hate their hours!!! what kind of hours are these:

Monday till noon
Tues, 9-4
Wed - none as she is in surgery all day
Thur , Fi 9-4
Sat till noon?

GRRRRR!! Does knowbody work??? Enough of my rant! I asked the girl on the phone if there is anything that I can do to make him more comfy...her reply was get him a cone!! WOW that sounds like alot of relief to me!! Oh well I will see when I get home from work tonight if he had a poop yet because he hadnt as of yesterday! I may also go look aound the house and make sure he did not go anywhere else! My poor boy!

I am on the look out for another vet now!

Cindy
:mad:

Ford Girl
July 16th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Pubert blew an anal gland - had a hard timing jumping around and would make aweful noises when jumping or booting around and when using the washroom he cried, so I took him in, they sedated him, shaved his butt and flushed/cleaned it out and I had to give him meds for a week. :sick:

This all happend on the day of my stagette 2 years ago, so my friends had to take turns driving me home to check on him every few hours...poor guy. Took about a week to heal.

rainbow
July 16th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Well looks like we will hopefully be going tomorrow to the vet. Transportation is a problem as we have one car and my man woks out of town! I hate their hours!!! what kind of hours are these:

Monday till noon
Tues, 9-4
Wed - none as she is in surgery all day
Thur , Fi 9-4
Sat till noon?

GRRRRR!! Does knowbody work??? Enough of my rant! I asked the girl on the phone if there is anything that I can do to make him more comfy...her reply was get him a cone!! WOW that sounds like alot of relief to me!! Oh well I will see when I get home from work tonight if he had a poop yet because he hadnt as of yesterday! I may also go look aound the house and make sure he did not go anywhere else! My poor boy!

I am on the look out for another vet now!

Cindy
:mad:

Cindy, did you try the vet that Megan suggested?

I went to the vet on Upper James....the one near the Barn....

They seemed nice and had a discount if you had multiple pets....

*shrugs* that's about all I know

Winston
July 16th, 2007, 03:31 PM
No I have not...I did not want to start over at square one so I am going to my vet tomorrow...I will be going elsewhere though! Not only because of the vet but her hours are really not accomodating! Dont get me wrong I am sure she is medically capable of doing her job...she has been there for a long time...but she does not seem to care about what she does ?? she never smiles! I had to tell her that I like her to pet my cats or something before hauling them out of a carrier , giving them a needle in the butt and back in the carrier!! now she is better but I am turned off! She is quite expensive as well....

Some folks have also recomended a vet in Caledonia...not too far of a drive so I will make a decision soon..

I came home and checked Bomber and he has a very pink round sore down there now! but he is walking better and able to jump up on the coach! It is really hard to look at him down there..he wants no part of it! He is licking it quite a bit tonight as well!!

Thanks Megan for your input! never hurts to know a vet comes recommended!!

dtbmnec
July 17th, 2007, 10:49 AM
The hours at that vet were a little bit better from what you said...the other thing is that I found it really really easy to get to by bus (Upper James bus). :) Perhaps an option?

There's two vets there too. A guy and a girl. The girl absolutely LOOOOVED my two boys. Oh she coooed and everything over them it was really nice :). The guy I didn't see too much so I wasn't really able to form an opinion. He was really nice and gentle and all that though and while he didn't cuddle my cats he could just not be a very cuddly guy LOL. The receptionists on the phone were also really really nice and I think one of them is married to the guy vet. :)

They will push the Science Diet food on you though and think that the holistic food isn't so great (how do you KNOW where the animal came from? Are you SURE its not roadkill? etc.) but they accepted the decisions I'd made as far as food. Didn't recommend the RAW diet either, but then the vet I have here in Guelph doesn't either. *shrugs* May not be an issue for you though. :)

Megan

P.S. Their website: www.mountain.infovet.ca

Winston
July 17th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Well my poor boy went to the vet today. Turns out he has an abcessed anal gland and another that was pretty full. So my wonderful vet loooks at him and says yep its an abcessed anal gland..he will have to stay over night....So I asked her to explain what she would do to him...Almost like prying teeth out of her head! Anyway, she said that she would have to give him anesthesia, drain them...put a shot of antibiotics up there and then coderise (sorry for the spelling) his bum! Ouch! he was not happy with them having a look at him...

So I left him....I have never had to leave him overnight except when he was neutered 10 yrs ago! It broke my heart! He cried his heart out as I was leaving....The vet says to me dont worry he will be out of it in 5 minutes!

After an hour they said I could call and check on him! So I did and he was awake already and stoned out of his mind! I asked if I could come and bring him home because I know him so well he would be heart broken! She agreed to let me bring him home tonight as long as I keep him away from his sister for awhile for the anesthesia to wear off! Funny thing was she not once said why he had this happen! I fully expected her to say it was his food and try to sell me some of their food...but she didnt which I was totally shocked! Maybe she could read my mind today too because she was so much nicer than normal??????

Bomber is upstairs in the bedroom right now...just taking it easy....they gave him some pain meds too so I am sure he is pretty messed up! and his sister cannot stay away from the door to the bedroom! She knows he has been somewhere!

What a day!

Cindy

rainbow
July 17th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Awww, poor Bomber. :grouphug: I hope he has a speedy recovery. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
July 17th, 2007, 06:39 PM
The anal glands are generally expressed naturally when animals poop, makes them super stinky :yuck: & also is great way to mark territory. Then scent is not released with soft poop, therefore if lots of soft poop lately it was not expressed naturally. The glands are usually backed up & blocked due to lack of exercise, foreign material, infections - also there are far more dogs that have anal gland issues that cats. Please bear in mind I am not saying any of these are the cause in your cat's case - obviously I don't know. My sisters' 10+ neutered male cat also just went in for anal glands popped out of place, expression & was on antibiotics, rest & kept away from the other cats for about a week. Good luck to you & Bomber:)

Jim Hall
July 17th, 2007, 06:58 PM
:sorry: ooopppss wrong thread oh lol duh i get it the smeller the better garlic is ok but onions are out so im really gonna have to get chicken livers and cook em ?

ok how bout yogurt garlic and multi vitamin for dinner ?

growler~GateKeeper
July 17th, 2007, 07:02 PM
:sorry: ooopppss wrong thread oh lol duh i get it the smeller the better garlic is ok but onions are out so im really gonna have to get chicken livers and cook em ?

ok how bout yogurt garlic and multi vitamin for dinner ?

No no no the natural expression of the anal glands makes it stinky. YOU don't make it stinky to express the glands :D :crazy:

Frenchy
July 17th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I'm glad Bomber will be ok ! As for your vet , I would shop around. My vet gives me so much details , sometimes i just want to tell him : GET TO THE POINT !!! But really, he takes his time with every customer and explains everything. He is never in a rush. I do appreciate it !

Winston
July 17th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks Everyone! he will be fine..Moms just worry that way! I just let him out of the bedroom because he was really wobbly when I brought him home! But boy his sister is not impressed...she has been hissing at him for 10 minutes...It is kind of sad because he is very scared right now! and boy they shaved his hairy bum and it looks so sore!!! I was really worried about leaving him alone at the vets and am really grateful they allowed me to bring him home...he is such a suck! he would have howled all night long! he is a very vocal boy when he wants to be! and he loves to have cuddles at night with mom & dad! he never misses that! :laughing:

Cindy

growler~GateKeeper
July 17th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Did they give (or I should say sell) you a buster collar? He will need that to prevent washing. Confinement to one room is best @ least until anaesthesia (yes that's the correct spelling - weird word) wears off. The whole hissy bit from sister is a good indication they need to be kept separate for at least a week. I know it's hard but better for Bomber in case sister takes a swipe at him from behind.:eek:

:cat: will be just fine! :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
July 17th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I'm glad Bomber got to come home tonight, Winston :grouphug: Poor guy! He'll be healing quickly now! :thumbs up :goodvibes: :fingerscr