Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new cat old dog

soccerbabi67
July 15th, 2007, 12:59 PM
new kitty, doesnt have a name yet, and my dog macy are not getting along. my brother brought home the new kitty yesterday and it slapt poor macy on the head and now macy is afraid of the little 2month old kitten. macy had a cat for four years before we had to put poor mr.jingles down, in april, she love him and cleaned his ears and played with and kept him in line so we know she gets along with cats. how do we get the new kitten to be nice and not hiss and growl at macy and how do we get macy to not be afraid?

badger
July 15th, 2007, 02:10 PM
First of all, you distract the kitten from bugging the dog, kittens can be such a pest. How big is the dog? Does he defend himself or just leave the room?
I would confine the kitten at night and when things get hairy, or let the dog have part of the house and keep the kitten in the other. As the kitten gets older, things will improve, they won't necessarily be buddies but they'll find a way to live together.
Give your kitten lots of playtime, wear him out. You could also think about getting another kitten and they'll wear each other out and ignore the dog :) .
All this takes time (weeks, at least) and some work on your part, so be patient.

soccerbabi67
July 15th, 2007, 04:02 PM
macy is 30 lbs and chicken she runs away. the kitten doesnt bother the dog but when ever the dog enters the room or is around the kitten the cat hisses and growls and that freaks the poor dog out so poor macy scurries out of the room... its not a problem of both of them bothering one another just the dog doesnt leave my moms room..shes afraid of 5lbs kitten...

badger
July 15th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Then I'd leave things as they are, except very important to get across to the dog that she is still your one-and-only, maybe take her for an extra walk or play with her without the kitten present. Sooner or later she'll realize that the kitten is all hiss and no bite. Takes some adjusting, but she'll get there.

soccerbabi67
July 15th, 2007, 07:01 PM
oo macy is a spoiled brat i just hope the kitten gets used to her andloves her lol this kitten is a bully i must say...macy and my dead cat used to play and what not so i hope one day these 2 will play

otter
July 15th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I think time will help alot. I agree that you need to give Macy some special attention and extra comfort especially when the cat is around. I imagine they'll both come to a truce somewhere.

If Macy is in danger of being swatted or whatever by the cat be sure to be CALM in getting her out of danger. If you freak it will just reinforce Macy's fear. If the cat is bugging Macy just gently move her away (either Macy or the cat but, probably safer to move Macy so the cat doesn't go after you instead).