Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dry or moist food??

KarenRB53
July 15th, 2007, 12:30 PM
My 4 yr old Shihpoo will hardly eat dry food at all. She has always had problems with her teeth right from very young, has had a few pulled and vet said she probably always will as they appear to be softer and her gums get sore. I try to give her dry food because I feel its healthiest, then I tried mixing dry with moist but she picks out the dry and drops it by her bowl!! Any suggestions? I do give her dog biscuits and small crunchy treats which she enjoys.
Thanks, Karen

mummummum
July 15th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I've never bought into the "dry kibble is better for teeth and gums", specially when feeding one over the other means the animal won't eat. I think you could probably get the same mouth exercize with a kong or some other ganwing-tyype bone or toy. If you don't mind me asking, what are you feeding her ? I know when Declan came home his teeth were strong but lots of plaque and tartar.

want4rain
July 15th, 2007, 02:13 PM
my vet swore i would have to give antibiotics to my cat twice a year for gingivitis. we started a raw meat and bones diet and he has stopped chewing things in the house, stopped having inflammation... and i havent even had a chance to give him the antibiotics this time. he spit the first ENTIRE script out (liquid) so we finally made it back (after all the pet drama going on here) and they didnt give me the right dosage... havent had the chance tog et back because they were closed saturday for some reason... but my point is (with allt he rambling) we are actually seeing the gingivitis getting better with how he has to chew the meat off of the bone and then crunch up a bit of the bone to actually eat his food. we will still have to give him the antibiotics this time but i dont think we will have to later.

whats important is having your pet chew the meat into bite sized pieces and chew up bones focusing on the meat being sheared apart. :) if you are interested, see where a few months of chewing up some meat (please research a raw diet first because dietary needs arent met with JUST meat) doestn help get him to a point where he has some teeth strength then work on bones too.

also, are you sure that he is absorbing calcium correctly?

-ashley

rainbow
July 15th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I do give her dog biscuits and small crunchy treats which she enjoys.

If she can eat dog biscuits and crunchy treats then she can eat kibble so she is probably just being picky. What brand of kibble are you trying to feed her?

KarenRB53
July 23rd, 2007, 11:03 AM
I've always fed Mollie Nutro Lamb and Rice dry food. I've tried putting the "sauces" on it or Pedigrees moist packets mixed with the dry but she digs through and eats mostly the moist food. The last thing I tried was Top Choice in the pouches and she really likes them but not sure if they're good for her because she is scratching a lot lately and definitely does not have fleas. I just had her groomed and her skin is fine but she scratches a lot. So I'm thinking its the food. I might try adding Omega 3 &6 supplements. Has anyone tried these? I know she's mainly just picky but if she doesn't like it she won't eat it. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the advice, Karen

mummummum
July 23rd, 2007, 01:54 PM
I think you could do alot better by feeding a higher quality food. If you can take the time, go through this forum ~ we've had many lengthy (and sometimes challenging) discussions on kibble. These are two good resources

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=main

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/

rainbow
July 23rd, 2007, 04:20 PM
I agree with MX3....there are much better foods out there and you won't have to add extra things to them to "doctor" them up.

The information at www.dogfoodproject.com is excellent. Click on "Ingredients to Avoid" on the left hand side of the page as well as the other links. Another good website is www.dogaware.com and there are links to check out there as well.

Remember, all the dog food brands that you can buy at the supermarket and places like WalMart do not use the better ingredients. You need to go to a local pet store where you live.

A few of the brands I like are Innova (www.naturapet.com) and Canidae (www.canidae.com) or Orijen (www.championpetfoods.com) if you want a grain-free dog food.

Good luck and if you have any questions....ask away. :)

KarenRB53
July 23rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks so much for the advice. I will be going to a pet store tomorrow. Will a better quality dry food actually appeal to her compared to a high quality canned food? I'm also going to read through the forum to get more info.

Thanks again, Karen

mummummum
July 23rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
Many dogs like canned food cuz it's stinkier. I'm feeding Orijen's fish kibble right now and it's PLENTY stinky. It may have to be trial and error with your picky pup ~ we went through it too !

badger
July 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
Ask the store to give you samples of different foods/flavours and see if they pass the test.