Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about dogs and water

kosap1
July 15th, 2007, 11:01 AM
I am moving and my dog will be living with my grandparents. They have 2 dogs and they believe that it is better to only give a dog so much water each day. I have read many articles about dogs that will not stop drinking water because they have a medical problem, these dogs are not that bad. They do not drink what I would call too much water, they just drink water. I have tried to explain to my grandparents that the dog will not "over drink" itself. I am concerned because my grandparents will not refill the water bowl for 3 dogs after they have drank what they were given with their dinner. The dogs are loose at night and they are concerned that they will go to the bathroom in the house. This has never been a problem and I do not believe that any of the dogs have ever gone to the bathroom in the house. I just want some way of convincing my grandparents that dogs actually need water and that they arent going to go to the bathroom in the house.

Dogastrophe
July 15th, 2007, 11:38 AM
You are correct, most normal healthy dogs will not over drink (there are some dogs out there who love water so much that they will try to swim in the waterbowl, but that is a whole other story!). Most will only drink what they feel like drinking. My two, on a normal day (not too hot outside, not coming back from a hard run, etc) drink very little during the day - not too much, not too little.

One thing that I've found, particularly when my older dog Monty was still around was that, by leaving water out all the time, it was a very quick barometer to find out how they were doing healthwise. When Monty started drinking more water than normal, we knew that something was amiss and took him to the vet.

If their dogs are housetrained and there has never been a problem with them going in the house, leaving water out for them should not change things.

Jim Hall
July 15th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Hi Ya Kosap

First im sorry to hear that you have to give up your dogs i hopedyou will get to visit them often

If the grandfolks make sure they have access to all the water they want durihg the day And i assume they are not real active at night they should be ok in my opinion lol they will probably complain if they get thirsty

If I may ask a question Have your grandparents kept dogs before ?

mummummum
July 15th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I think Dogastrophe has about covered it but I would like to note that dehydration, even mild dehydration is dangerous. To point out the obvious, water is a natural toxin and waste flushing system critical to survival. One example is urinary tract health. Dog's who are at risk or have developed bladder stones are encouraged to drink lots of water in order to flush debris and bacteria from the bladder. By depriving them of water you are encouraging toxins, bacteria and waste to remain in the body and disease to develop. I find my dogs naturally regulate the amount they drink during the day. They drink more on days when I am at home all day because they know they will be going out more frequently than when they have only the dog walker coming in. It must be hard for you to leave your dog behind kosap1, I hope it's only temporary.

kosap1
July 15th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Hi Ya Kosap

First im sorry to hear that you have to give up your dogs i hopedyou will get to visit them often

If the grandfolks make sure they have access to all the water they want durihg the day And i assume they are not real active at night they should be ok in my opinion lol they will probably complain if they get thirsty

If I may ask a question Have your grandparents kept dogs before ?

Wow thanks for all of the quick replies. Yes they have 2 dogs of their own and this is how they have always been with them. I have tried to tell them in the past but they have always been like this. Now that my border collie will be there I am going to make sure that they fix their problem.

I also bought one of thoes 2 gallon conttant water source bowl things. They dont refill the freaking thing. Every time I visit I have to refill it. It is going to coem down to an argument but if thats what it is going to take then thats what im going to do.

Again thanks for all of the replies.

Lukka'sma
July 15th, 2007, 05:57 PM
How about giving me the address of your grandparents and I will have the Humane Society over there in a flash because holding back on water for an animal is cruel and something that shouldn't be tolerated!

daystrom
July 16th, 2007, 02:20 PM
How about giving me the address of your grandparents and I will have the Humane Society over there in a flash because holding back on water for an animal is cruel and something that shouldn't be tolerated!

I agree. Can you find someone else to look after your dog? They sound like football coaches out of the 1950s who think drinking water while practicing with full pads for 2 hours in the scorching sun is a sign of weakness. Players have died from it.

btw, I'm being deliberately harsh because this is your dog's welfare. If you can't be there, then you owe it to him to find someone who will not deny your dog one of the necessities of life.