Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I was RAVAGED

mummummum
July 14th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Ravaged I tell you ! Ravaged ! We had fresh blueberries at my house tonight ~ Bridie and Declan couldn't get enough. Anyone else have fresh-fruit-freaks like my gang ?

hazelrunpack
July 14th, 2007, 11:04 PM
No fruit freaks, but you don't get far with popcorn in this house! :o I keep telling them that "corn is bad! BAD!" but they just don't listen. :rolleyes:

Smiley14
July 15th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Ever since I started feeding Petey apples, he goes nuts when he sees any kind of fruit now! But I haven't tried blueberries yet, LOL! Guess they were big hit at your house! :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
July 15th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Nikki loved everything especially raspberries - she would gently pick them off the neighbours vine where it came through the fence

One summer night Nisku & Nikki spent the night outside cuz it was hot, they decided to get into trouble so they destroyed the corncob & tomato plants growing in the garden (after this it was promptly fenced) they ate the whole crop of both - they were soo sick the next day, didn't want to eat their own food. Two days later they were fine but neither one of them wanted any corn or tomatoes ever again.

Cally loved apples, raspberries, strawberries, grapes, blueberries, banana, he also loved to eat oranges but only if he got to eat it off the rind (and popcorn)

TeriM
July 15th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Lucy LOVES all berries. When my father-in-law was still around whenever we visited she headed straight for the blueberry bush in the backyard and picked all the ones she could reach. She is also very clever with picking blackberries (occasionally spits out a sour one :rolleyes: ) and both her and Riley decimated our strawberry crop this year :frustrated: .

want4rain
July 15th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Mister will do A.N.Y.T.H.I.N.G for cherries. we had a hard time finding a treat for a dog who gets raw meaty bones for his meals that was COOLER than raw meaty bones because he LOVES his raw meaty bones.... but not as much as cherries.

noooooo.... my dog couldnt pick an easier fruit to like!! *sigh*

he also loves way too ripe peaches, apples cut to pieces, oranges (peels if id let him!!), kiwi... im sure there are others we have tried.... he did not eat celery. thats about it. :) but he loves cherries.

-ash

sugarcatmom
July 15th, 2007, 12:49 PM
My kitty, Aztec, looooooooves strawberries. He doesn't so much eat them as lick and suck all the juice out of them. Macintosh apples are also a favourite. I heard somewhere that cats don't have taste buds for sweetness, but I'm not so sure I (or Aztec) would agree.

Jim Hall
July 15th, 2007, 12:50 PM
My lab, stoner loved all fruit except lemons
he once got into a pitcher of sangria and he loved that
liked beer too and other ummm substances hence his name

sherbet my cat loved peaches but they had to be overipe toruble was they didnt love her and she would have a upset tummy if we gave her too much

my city cat gimpy liked to lap a bit of my iced tea i was suprised cause i use a lot of lemon and very strong tea

mummummum
July 15th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Jim Hall's nefarious past comes to light ~:D :laughing: !!

I'll have to try peaches, I'm not that keen on the ones we get in the City for the most part and don't buy them often. But now that we have "farmer's markets" dowtown ~ maybe I'll pick some up.

I will never of course admit to you "misdeeds" !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Smiley14
July 15th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Just a reminder, pitted fruits should never be fed! The pits are toxic to dogs!!! :eek:

mummummum
July 15th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Just a reminder, pitted fruits should never be fed! The pits are toxic to dogs!!! :eek:

Too true ~ thanks for the reminder Smiley. Most seeds in general are toxic, so if you are feeding apples etc. ensure that you remove all the seeds.:thumbs up

rainbow
July 15th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I have two fruit freaks at my house. And, almost all veggies too. :)

rainbow
July 15th, 2007, 04:33 PM
There are lots of apple trees around here and there's always lots that fall by the side of the road. Logan would be in his glory when we went for a walk and chow down as many as he could if I wasn't fast enough to stop him. :rolleyes:

I didn't know about the seed toxicity until it was mentioned on the forum here before. Of course, I freaked a little and started checking into to it. From what I could find the apple seeds only release the toxin if they are bitten into and crushed. :shrug: I can't find the website now that said this.....I'll try looking again later. :o

Also, another concern about peach pits, etc. would be the choking hazard. :eek: so definitely remove them first. :)

growler~GateKeeper
July 15th, 2007, 05:04 PM
My kitty, Aztec, looooooooves strawberries. He doesn't so much eat them as lick and suck all the juice out of them. Macintosh apples are also a favourite. I heard somewhere that cats don't have taste buds for sweetness, but I'm not so sure I (or Aztec) would agree.

Same here - Duffy loves to investigate all junk food I eat, most of the time she will just lick it. Haven't found a fruit she likes except the raspberry filing in pop-tarts she will only eat a little of it, and the fresh apple in pies when I make it she will nibble on a little. She will eat veggies if saturated w/ chicken/beef ie pot pies/stew/soup

growler~GateKeeper
July 18th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Duffy also loves french fries - the ones you cook in the oven @ home = she gets them w/out salt. In my book french fries still count as veggies (potatoes):D

Love4himies
July 19th, 2007, 07:43 AM
I have a cat that loves strawberry shortcake and banana toast. She will jump on my lap while I am eating it and try to stick her face in the bowl lol. Chicken, steak and roast I can safely eat in peace.

JanM
July 19th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I sure do! I just came in from putting a temporary fence around my apple tree. Last night Bobby didn't come in .. I waited - no Bobby - I went out and sure enough, he was picked unripe apples off the apple tree! Yesterday, when I asked him not to do that he just shifted his attention to the small ones that have dropped off!

Any fruit Bobby will go nuts over - one of his favourites is banana but he will eat any fruit or any green veggie. Amber likes her fruit and veggies too but she is more discriminating - she likes banana and blueberries and strawberries and raspberries and her favourite veggie is cauliflower. Bobby's fav veggie is brocolli.

Jim Hall
July 19th, 2007, 12:58 PM
lol i had a black lab that did that to my gandma's granny apple tree
made a pig of himsel;f and got very sick that night

mummummum
July 19th, 2007, 01:35 PM
... Last night Bobby didn't come in .. I waited - no Bobby - I went out and sure enough, he was picked unripe apples off the apple tree!... Amber likes...her favourite veggie is cauliflower. Bobby's fav veggie is brocolli.

Ummmm... wouldn't want to be in your house after a feast (peeeyeeeeeuuuuuw!):laughing:

JanM
July 19th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Ummmm... wouldn't want to be in your house after a feast (peeeyeeeeeuuuuuw!):laughing:

Is this where I confess to only buying these veggies for the dogs? :crazy:
tee hee - they eat better than I do!

I just came home from and found Bobby had leaned over the temporary fence and, since he couldn't quite get the apple he wanted - he took the whole branch! Now what do I do???????

dmc123
July 19th, 2007, 05:52 PM
My dogs love most fruits, and quite a few veggies, but now that it is summer - watermelon is definitely high on their yummy list!

Diane

SableCollie
July 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Lobo loves bananas, apples, and watermelon (he got into the groceries one time and ate a big chunk out of a watermelon before we noticed. And we buy bananas specifically for him because he loves them so much). Sable loves all fruits and veggies, even lettuce! She begs for salads, and people will always say "oh no Sable, this is salad, you don't want this," and I tell them "Uh, actually, she does." Basko will eat raw carrots and bananas, but that's it.

They all love these dehydrated sweet potatoes (Sam's Yams) that we get at the pet supply store, and they also love Dr. Harvey's Veg-To-Bowl, which is a mix of dehydrated veggies and herbs that you add water to.

I'm glad we don't have an apple tree in our yard, I can only imagine what the dogs would do to it!

mummummum
July 19th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Sablecollie I think based on JanM's experience LOTS of us are glad we don't have apple trees. :eek:

But you've reminded me ~ all my gang go for the oven-dried sweet-potatoes I make ~ they are also a great training treat as you can cut them up small or they break quite cleanly when dired.

JanM
July 19th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Ah but when the apples (they are Golden Delicous) ripen they are wonderful to eat! They also make excellent applesauce and great doggie treats. When I figure out how to make sure there are apples left on the tree to ripen that is :laughing: :laughing:

I'm off to the hardware store tomorrow to get some more fencing so I can expand the area... with any luck, the apples will ripen but these ones aren't ready for eating until September - any bets on the outcome?

1 - the apple tree gets stripped of apples
2 - the apple tree gets cut down
3 - JanM goes bananas :laughing: :laughing:

mummummum
July 19th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I'll wager on #1 and #3. I wonder why Bridie will eat apples but not ripe crab apples ~ this is a dog who eats radishes after all!

We can identify with the salads too though ~ exept for raddichio ~ too bitter I guess .:shrug: but they all like Arugula :laughing: