-->

Nature's Variety ?

budboybudboy77
July 14th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Nature's Variety is this food any good?

Thks

sugarcatmom
July 15th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Don't know much about the canine varieties, but the feline stuff is great, I just wished my kitty actually liked it. Good ingredients, but rather expensive. They also make frozen raw medallions (chicken, turkey, rabbit, etc) which I hear are quite popular with many cats out there. I think there's a coupon for a free bag on their website.

Smiley14
July 15th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Yes, it's very good. I feed the raw patties and the freeze-dried medallions. It's one of the better quality raw foods out there.

budboybudboy77
July 15th, 2007, 11:28 AM
ok thks wonder if my cancer stricken golden would go for the dry or canned?

Thks

How expensive though?

mummummum
July 15th, 2007, 01:36 PM
You might want to double check the ingredients BDBD ~ I just looked at the Nature's Variety raw lamb mediallions and it contains grapefruit seed extract. I know that grapefruit is a no-go for anyone receiving chemo but I'm not sure about seed extract. In my opinion a raw diet is MUCH easier for a dog with cancer to digest and use nutritionally than processed food. In general, as a manufacturer Nature's Varietys products/ ingredients look very food for raw. But I know that it is not easy on the pocket book.

budboybudboy77
July 16th, 2007, 11:32 AM
ok thks we bought him a bag of Nature's variety,a small 5 lb bag to try/

It's dry food ,these people at the store who sold this put 2 people in there that did not know anything about this food and said they did not have it.

At the same time i look over and there is a shelf of small bags of Nature's variety with Instinct cans (Nature's label), she told me 10 mins before that, that these cans were a whole different brand.
I could not believe it, luckily I did my homework on the Nature's variety site.
The sales clerk said she has never been on that site or even the store's site!!

While this was going on ,my girlfriend was on the phone with one of the owners to get info on the store's stock.
My girlfriend had told the owner about Buddy's situation.
The owner said she would need all the details of the dog and treatments.
She would then sit down with us for 2 hours(she says) to make a diet plan.

She said at end of conversation that there would be fees for those 2 hours and cost of food and diet plan.
Can we all say MONEY GRABBER?

I'll spend the money to treat my dog and not someone who wants money to take a fancy trip in the winter!

Thks for reading.

rainbow
July 16th, 2007, 04:38 PM
So you bought the Nature's Variety kibble instead of the raw medallions. If it's kibble you want to feed then I would try Orijen as the protein level is much higher. The "white paper" information is well worth reading.

You can compare the two brands by checking their websites:

http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?page=1321&-session=naturesvariety:1843ED0E117b725382RKYxA6999 5

www.championpetfoods.com

budboybudboy77
July 16th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Ok thks for the 2 sites They both have 42% protein.the 2 bags I checked anyways do.
They both have great ingredients also.One is American the other Canadian.

I went with kibble because I'm really cautious about the raw and the canned is to watery.
Like I said above I'm glad I did some research , because that store was NO help.

Thks

smoothcoatcolli
July 16th, 2007, 10:11 PM
i tired everyform of kibble and chose this one b/c of the ingredients. I've tasted every form of kibble (it's not like i snacked on it, i just tried it) and I think they all taste the same. Ava hates kibble unless it belongs to someone else. I feed her the raw medallions and she loves those. I don't know that nature's variety is more expensive than any other "premium" dog brand. I think if the raw frozen stuff is to expensive I would go with just raw meat.

If processed foods aren't good for us than it probably isn't for dogs either, however it can be costly. I noticed that she doesn't poop in large quanities when she eats this type of kibble versus various others.

mummummum
July 16th, 2007, 10:27 PM
...but eveb the kibble contains grapefruit seed extract ...

budboybudboy77
July 17th, 2007, 10:36 AM
which bag is with the grapefruit?

So smoothcoat u went with raw?

Thks

rainbow
July 17th, 2007, 08:20 PM
All of Natures Variety products contain grapefuit seed extract.

budboybudboy77
July 18th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Buddy seems to like that food.

Where are the warnings and such for this grapefruit seed and cancer drugs?

Thks

mummummum
July 18th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Please speak with your Vet or an onco-nutritionist about grapefruit seed extract.

This is what I know but I am sure there is more to know and it is more currrent. Grapefruit itself can inhibit the activity of an enzyme (CYP3A4) in the small intestine. This can inhibit the uptake of certain medications (including chemo drugs). As they don't get broken down properly blood levels can become toxic. There is also the concern that an element of grapefruit blocks drugs from being taken up entirely/ in sufficient levels by activating a naturally-produced chemical, P-glycoprotein, in the intestines. As such drugs are stopped from entering your blood.

Grapefruit seed extract is different that grapefruit juice itself. But I understand there is some thought (and it's all over the map) about the efficacy of taking anti-oxidants and immune boosters while taking cancer drugs.

Orijen is a fantastic food and I highly recommend it. If you are still looking at Nature's Variety, it would be worth your while to contact them and ask what amount of the extract is present in a X amount serving and then bring this information to an nutritionist.

rainbow
July 18th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Orijen is a fantastic food and it would be worth your while to contact them and ask what amount of the extract is present in a X amount serving and then bring this information to an nutritionist.

MX3, did you mean Natures Variety? Orijen doesn't contain grapefruit seed extract. ;)

mummummum
July 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Yup...that's EXACTLY what I meant...corrected my confuzzing post.

budboybudboy77
July 19th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Ok thks the Nature's Variety food I have has no grapefruit extract, but I am looking into Orijen now.

My Bud is eating the Nature's Variety which is good.

We seem to be having trouble on getting the drug Lomustine.

The vets he has have a hard time to get this drug.

Anyone

Thks

mummummum
July 19th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Are you sure ? All their kibble has grapefruit seed extract. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing but I am just not one to muck about with chemo drugs and cancer without (personally) getting some advice from a nutritionist, specially one who has an understanding of cancer. confused:

rainbow
July 19th, 2007, 07:26 PM
the Nature's Variety food I have has no grapefruit extract

I thought they all had grapefruit seed extract......what formula are you feeding? :confused:

budboybudboy77
July 20th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Hi I'll give u link to the bag he is eating now.

Ok I see the ingredient there but on my bag the newer bag there is no grapefruit extract.What do u think? Thks

http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?page=1404&-session=naturesvariety:459CA50E1194719857kTt3EAE5D 6

rainbow
July 20th, 2007, 01:52 PM
They may have removed it from the ingredients and not updated their website. Or, they could have added it to the ingredients and are still using up old bags as they have six months to use them up by law. :shrug:

You should contact them for verification.....

http://www.naturesvariety.com/contact.lasso?r=125119&-session=naturesvariety:459CA50E1194719857kTt3EAE5D 6

budboybudboy77
July 20th, 2007, 02:37 PM
ok thks i'll try that

budboybudboy77
July 21st, 2007, 11:00 AM
Hi we talked to 2 pharmacists last night and both said that the grapefruit problem was only for humans, dogs have no problem with that.

There system is alot tougher than ours.
That was good news, I went out and bought some Orijen last night also so we mix the 2 Brands ,Nature and Orijen and he seems to like it.

Hope it helps him also.

Thks

rainbow
July 21st, 2007, 02:26 PM
That's good to hear. I hope Buddy continues to do well :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: ....keep us posted and, btw, is the Orijen cheaper than Natures Variety? :)

budboybudboy77
July 22nd, 2007, 12:53 PM
HI thks for the positive things,the Orijen is the same price as the Nature's Variety.

5 lbs of each is around 16.00$ Ca.

mummummum
July 22nd, 2007, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the info BBBB ~ I couldn't find anything specific to "Grapefruit Seed Extract" acting in the same way as grapefruit juice for people (although as noted there is some discussion around the wisdom of using anti-oxidants and auto-immune boosters while on chemo but I don't think I agree with that line of thought). Keep us posted !

budboybudboy77
July 23rd, 2007, 11:21 AM
ok I will keep in touch , when I went to buy the Orijen ,the owner was working there at time.
He was taking out these Holistic bottles of mushrooms which is what people with lymph node cancer use.
I really don't know if any of this stuff works , he must of had 8 different bottles on the table. It must have been over 200 dollars of stuff, I just went with the food.That I know My Bud needs.

budboybudboy77
August 8th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Hi , just wanted to write about Buddy.
He is having a hard time last blood test was a week ago, tests were not good for his liver.
So he has been taking liver pills everyday for the past week ,plus milk thistle 4 caps a day also for the past week.
Anyways Thursday Aug 9 he has another blood test to see if he can start his limoustine, which was suppose to be started last week but all test results need to be good which they were not.
His lumps under his mouth (throat) have returned to a bigger size just the last few days.

He really is very tired and does not want to know much of anything, he sleeps or lays down alot has no energy. I feel bad for him because we are trying our best but the friggin cancer is beating us up to this point.
I hope the blood tests results are good this time around.

We are feeding him Orijen, but the thing is it has 16% fat in it, which I was told at the vets is way too much and should be half that.
He does look a little bloated, and we see he is sick from his eyes and his teeth.
I feel bad and sad for him but will hang in there.I just don't want to lose my dog!!

Thks for reading.

sways_bodyguard
August 8th, 2007, 10:32 PM
my dog loves it...
it is one of the most reputable packaged raw food companies out there...
& as far as the grapefruit seed extract...
im not sure about the kibble at all, but the actual raw patties/meddalions (chicken flavor) has none...that is what i feed my girl.
i know the lamb has it in there tho-

budboybudboy77
August 9th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Hello , any other suggestions or replies pls.

Thks