Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Meets Siamese-Mix

myburns1
July 14th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Hello, Friends
I'm new to this site and posting thing, but I trust that I'm in good company. In short, I would like guidance in paving the way for a 3 year old, male, anti-social Siamese cat (it's just me and the cat primarily) to become smitten with an adorable 3 month old female Shih-Tsu-Chihuahua-Terrier Mix puppy. It's been three weeks since I brought the pup home, and so far they are just checking each other out, with an occasional swat and hiss from the deliberately intimidating cat. The pup seems to be only momentarily terrified, but baffled (as am I) that ANY one would not try to love her to death at the first sight of her! I'm not forcing the matter, letting every one have space and letting them do their thing, letting the cat know by my voice tone when his behavior is not appreciated, yet giving him attention while trying to console the innocent puppy. Also, the puppy doesn't like any of the foods (wet or dry) I buy, but will eat the cat food, and the cat will eat her wet food???? Any comments will be so welcomed.

CyberKitten
July 14th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Congratulations on the new family member!

There are proper ways to introduce cats and dogs and here are a few urls to assist you with that.

http://www.sfgsrescue.org/articles/cat.htm
http://leerburg.com/dog-cat.htm

Also, puppies need special dog food for puppies - ask your vet or a veterinary nutritionist and some people here who have puppies why they feed their dogs currently (I have cats and have always fed a lab I care for in the family on occasion Wellness food that he gets that is recommended by his vet - but he is now 8 yrs old.).

Dogs or puppies should never eat cat food - it contains ingredients for cat nutrition - taurine and other nutrients required by felines. Food prepared specially for puppies is what your new dog needs.

Why is your meezer so anti social. I am involved with Siamese Rescue and have two adorable Siamese kitties, one show quality I fell in love with while searching for a special needs cat and the other one with special needs - a Seal Point and a Blue Point. I have lived with meezers almost all my life and have yet t meet an anti social Siamese cat - I am not sure there is such an animal!! Meezers love company and love to be with humans. Did you adopt this cat from an abusive situation or were there mitigating circumstances? I am just curious since in all the time I have worked with meezers, even the most ill and abused cats have purred when you helped them. They do not do well in shelters because they want to be with people or other animals all the time and hate to be left alone. So, yours is clearly different and unique. I wonder if something happened to him as a kitten to cause a personality at variance with most of his breed?

myburns1
July 14th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Thank you for your rapid response. I will check out the URL's; however, I feel like my descriptive term, anti-social, was taken too dramatically and may suggest that I consider mental counseling or even institutionalizing for not only the cat, but for me as well! Yes, there are ALWAYS unique factors in every life that makes us ALL unique (human and animal). Your repeated mention of your experience with "meezers" was perceived by me as pretentious and condescending, implying that because your experience has been as it has been, all other experiences are counter to the way it should be?? For my topic, I was not prepared to use this site as a venue to report the complete background of my pets' childhood and/or the childhood trauma they may or may not have experienced. Maybe I'm taking the info too personal; nonetheless, I feel obligated to explain that my meezer does not live a life attacking everything that comes near him, sleeps with me every night, and purrs quite often. He's just...well...shy I guess. The reason I chose the word 'anti-social' was to give users an idea of the personality factors involved in the situation. Thanks again for sharing. I'll keep the pup away from the cat food.

growler~GateKeeper
July 14th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I feel like my descriptive term, anti-social, was taken too dramatically and may suggest that I consider mental counseling or even institutionalizing for not only the cat, but for me as well! Yes, there are ALWAYS unique factors in every life that makes us ALL unique (human and animal). Your repeated mention of your experience with "meezers" was perceived by me as pretentious and condescending, implying that because your experience has been as it has been, all other experiences are counter to the way it should be?? For my topic, I was not prepared to use this site as a venue to report the complete background of my pets' childhood and/or the childhood trauma they may or may not have experienced. Maybe I'm taking the info too personal; nonetheless, I feel obligated to explain that my meezer does not live a life attacking everything that comes near him, sleeps with me every night, and purrs quite often. He's just...well...shy I guess. The reason I chose the word 'anti-social' was to give users an idea of the personality factors involved in the situation. Thanks again for sharing. I'll keep the pup away from the cat food.

myburns1 whoa there, I'm sure CK meant no condescention or pretentious-ness, just taking your words at face value as did I when reading your post. No one here is meaning to jump all over you, we just want to help. :) CK works in rescue so she would see all sorts of different situations for different cats - she probably just wanted to offer some suggestions. It is true that most meezers are very human dependant, but sometimes they do get more attached to one person rather than be friendly to everyone, so when you said anti-social I too was thinking the same as CK. Perhaps "not used to dogs" would've been a better phrase.:)

When I got Cally:dog: I already had two cats (one a meezer mix-super friendly to everyone) they had grown up w/dogs, but we hadn't had dogs for a few years. So bringing an adult dog who was used to cat-chasing as a friendly game into a house w/2 cats who would not put up with that was a bit interesting.

The one who was in the house 1st usually will set the rules for the newcomer & will let them know when they have overstepped their bounds. My meezer x was very friendly & welcoming to Cally. Duffy on the other hand hid for a week & wouldn't go anywhere near Cally, after that first week Cally & Duffy were inseperable buddies.

Your cats' hiss & swat routine is to show the puppy that cat is the boss, it is good for the puppy to know it can't just walk up & snuggle (or whatever) with the cat anytime it wants - this way they have an understanding, have established personal space & pack hierarchy. This will prevent unexpected accidents such as the dog wants to play & startles the cat awake, cat doesn't know what happened he is scared so he swats & injures puppy. From your post you obviously fell in love w/puppy, please don't be too disapointed if your cat doesn't fall in love w/puppy - sometimes they can be buds, sometimes it's peaceful co-existance.

My sister has 3 cats & brought home a bouncy friendly cocker spaniel puppy 2yrs ago - 1 cat loves the dog & will let her chew on him, 1 cat is terrified of the dog & only comes out when the dog is crated and the other cat is just starting to come out when the dog is around. The dog has learned through the hiss & swat routine that she can play w/cat #1 but not #2 or #3

good luck

TeriM
July 15th, 2007, 01:49 AM
myburns1 whoa there, I'm sure CK meant no condescention or pretentious-ness, just taking your words at face value as did I when reading your post. No one here is meaning to jump all over you, we just want to help. :) CK works in rescue so she would see all sorts of different situations for different cats - she probably just wanted to offer some suggestions. It is true that most meezers are very human dependant, but sometimes they do get more attached to one person rather than be friendly to everyone, so when you said anti-social I too was thinking the same as CK. Perhaps "not used to dogs" would've been a better phrase.:)

I totally agree with growler.

Be careful about making a big deal consoling the puppy. It sounds like a pretty normal interaction to me so far. Generally if you make a big deal over something with a young puppy he learns that the event really is a big deal and then the puppy could learn to be very nervous around the cat (kinda like when a kid falls down .... if you rush to their aid then all of a sudden it was a big disaster, if you ignore it then kid just gets up and moves on). You are better off to generally ignore the behavoir (unless is really nasty and needs breaking up) and treat it as no big deal.

Jim Hall
July 15th, 2007, 12:07 PM
wellit just goes tp show i had a meezer that we got as a kitten when we brought our black lab stoner to the house it took like 2 months before meezer would not complain at the sight of him they eventually became used to one another but you wouldnt call them friends

myburns1
July 15th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Thank you for your feedback! I could never express to you right now, how refreshing and uplifting your words are! I seem to have started a war of words (antisocial, CK's psyche on Siamese, etc.) that kinda threw me off the mark. You have restored me. I remain hopeful!!

Have a Wonder-full Day!

CyberKitten
July 16th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I'll be honest and admit I have been upset over this posting since I read it. I wrote two replies, both of which I thought might inflame the situation because I veered off to explain the hellish week I had and how this one criticism of something I did in good faith and with the very best of intentions led to my wondering what I am doing helping people who clearly do not want it. So, I will just leave it as that and say you obviously completely misunderstood what I wrote - and while I am usually quite good at explaining issues, apparently this one did not meet that standard. I have to be. Lately, I have had to tell more people than I care to that their children are dying, have died or might die. It has been more than enough to want to just scream!!! I think this post drove me to tears because it meant that while I was keeping in all the frustration over my work issues, this simple thing (and please do not get upset over that word, I am sure it is not simple for you - but for me, it is the every day kind of thing - pets learning to get along - rather than losing special patients and seemingly have so many new cancers occur all at once - that seemed to put me over the top.

I am sure your cat is fine. I doubt she has any mental health issues. I just meant I have seen over 3000 plus Siamese in the course of my work and this is the first one I have ever heard described as anti social. They are typically, well, not, :) I guess you have a unique cat - a quiet Siamese. There are days I wish mine were tho honestly, I like meezers because they ARE the vocal yowlers with the vocabulary and social skills to spare of the cat world. It is hardly a bad thing to be different - I was just curious was to why and I did not assume it is anything nefarious. My vet actually said the same thing when I told her I had actually heard of a "anti social Siamese" and she exclaimed "but that's not possible" so I told her "well, I guess we have to accept the impossible or perhaps this Siamese's person has a different definition of anti social than we do." I certainly did not mean anything else by my questions - that was it, end of story! I guess I am not CyberKitten for nothing - they say curiosity got the cat and it seems to have landed me in hot water, lol (and God I need something, anything to be amused at this week!!)

I do hope your puppy and meezer will get along just fine and those urls will help. There re many people here with excellent resources in handling new puppies (It has been awhile since I have had a puppy, my beloved chocolate lab "nephew being e, lol) but I do recall some of the issues. Good luck!!

myburns1
July 16th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Hello, CK!
PLEASE don't let my posts upset you anymore! I get it - 3,000 Siamese, your Vet agrees with you (wow, you even had a conversation about this??) - you don't need to prove or defend yourself to the newcomer here, although I've been around the block of life a few times myself. PLEASE forgive me for everything I've said and done to hurt you. The 'Meezer' and the Pup would probably be ashamed of the whole thing, and wonder why we humans are so neurotic! They will be fine and so will we. Keep doing what you do and let go, let God!

Have a wonder-full week!

CyberKitten
July 16th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I actually was not aware they was a debate but I certainly will agree to a truce. :) I am hardly neurotic though I will admit to being overtired and stressed but it has nothing to do with you. My vet is a good friend and I talk to her frequently - and yes, I did discuss your post because of what you said re your meezer - can't say one in a million but certainly, one in 3,000 or more (I can't admit to actually counting each and every one of them - I am basing it on rough estimates, it's prob more- I know the group I am with has placed over 5,000 worldwide and I have written so many of the descriptions and talked to many of the fosters and I am sure at least one of them would be very intriged with a quiet (this is my understanding of anti social, not sure what yours is) meezer.

There are other active kitties of course - it is not necessary to be a Siamese and of course there are breeds like the Ragdoll and ragamuffin and even Persians that are quite laid back. A feline personality for every human I suppose - I just wish there were more humans per cat - and dog - and bunny!!

Anyway, welcome to the board. I do hope your two manage and I am sure they will - it is best to introduce them slowly and in my experience, Siamese adjust rather well with other pets (including dogs) but obviously, as a scientist I do not believe in anecdotal experience. (This goes for my understanding of the meezer personality as well - tho I do think experience does help on ocacsion. Perhaps yours will be unique here as well since she is a quiet type so maybe she will be aloof and the two will live together in the house in some kind of quiet harmony. I do hope iot works out - and I am sure it will if you follow all the proper steps.

Best of luck - are you going to share any pictures of your new puppy and your meezer. btw, is she a Seal Point. Blue Point, Lilac Point (not that all clubs accept lilac- you know how these things are?)? I have one Seal Point diva who is the bossy alpha kitty and one Blue Point who was rescued so is the quieter of the two - which still means he is a social "butterfly" tho. I also have two Sphynx cats affectionately known as the Sphynx Girls - their history is a long story and this thread is about your puppy and meezer and I have said quite enough!