Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat had a labotamy/was neuetered

critterhouse
July 14th, 2007, 07:54 PM
My cat was neutered a week ago. The day before the surgery he pulled down the blinds and wrecked a curtain rod. The day of the surgery he was hiding until evening. It is now a week later. There is no swelling. He is just a different cat. It seems like they gave him a labotamy rather than a castration. I do not understand why my cat no longer plays. 90% of cats calm down after neutering. How do I get my cat back?

CyberKitten
July 14th, 2007, 10:02 PM
It seems like a lot more information is needed before anyone here could ever answer your question. I think you should talk to your vet about this and ask him or her. It may well be that your cat was in heat or over active and is now quieter but it is not usual for cats to have different personalities after a spay or neuter. They are typically much healthier. I am assuming you did not declaw your cat at the same time since that can result in behavioural problems.

I would consult with your vet to see if something else happened or obtain a second opinion.

critterhouse
July 14th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I have been working alot but really sat with him the past few days. He had just changed. He is just sedate. He was not de-clawed. He had all of the necessary shots. The vet clinic is closed. There is a shortage in AZ for vets-we are in need of 3,000. The 24 hour number is on the fritz. I figured that looking online would give me an answer...The articles that I am finding stated that the cat will be back to normal after about 3 days. The last male cat I had neutered was 17 years ago and he was de-clawed at the same time. Now I know better.

TeriM
July 15th, 2007, 02:59 AM
A week really isn't very long. I highly doubt that such a major personality change is the result of the neuter. It would be more likely that the experience of going to the vet and having surgery was a little scary and traumatic and he needs time to recover. If he hid all day after the surgery I would think that he was probably a little shook up from the experience. I would just pay lots of attention to him and try to get him to play if possible. He will likely come around soon :) .

krdahmer
July 15th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Ya I would imagine it was the trauma that has him out of sorts... if he was rambunctious and wrecking things just before his surgery maybe he is relating the two. I would just be patient and encourage him to play, maybe get a cat tree, a feather teaser and some cat nip. It just may take more than a week to get over the whole experience. I know some of mine were back to normal the next day, and some took weeks to get back into the swing of things.:goodvibes:

mummummum
July 15th, 2007, 03:47 PM
It may also be a reaction to the anaesthetic. Some animals are more sensitive to anaesthetic and can react to particular an anaesthetics and not others. It is certainly something to ask your Vet about on your next visit and something to consider if any anaesthetization is required at a later date. My last dawg had a similar experience and it took her a full two weeks to come back to being herself.

As well, if this was your cats very first Vet experience, it was likely a "whopper" when you think of it. And there is nothing to say that something else traumatic did not happen while you cat was there ~ again something to speak with your Vet about.

rainbow
July 15th, 2007, 06:13 PM
The day before the surgery he pulled down the blinds and wrecked a curtain rod.

Maybe he got hurt when this happened? Did you mention this to your vet when you took him in to get neutered so he could check him over?