Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My new puppy won't stop mounting!!!

SuprNtrlyAdictd
July 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I just got a new jack russell terrier who has not been trained or neutered. He slowly understands the meaning of no but still just can't stop mounting. I know neutering will help but is there anything i can do in the mean time?

Thanks!:dog:

Dracko
July 14th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I'm sorry I don't have any advice but I have to say I am so grateful that my dog has never been prone to this. I got him fixed the day after the first time he tried to mount one of the cats. I think I can count on one hand the number of times in total he's done it since then (6 1/2 years). He's not a crotch sniffer either. I have a friend who is strict with his pets but his one female is obsessed with sniffing crotches!

Good luck. I'm think neutering them before it gets to be a habit is a key, imo.

Ford Girl
July 16th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Mounting is a dominence issue, not always associated with sexual drive. Your dog is showing dominence, neutering will help calm the hormones but not always take the issue away.

My dog is female, and very dominent, and use to try and mount all the time, it's a sign if rudeness and disrespect. Do not allow your dog to mount you or anyone else. The only time Dazy gets away with it is towards another dog, and if she gets told off in the mean time, she deserves it, altho her little furfriends seem to take their turn on her. Most dogs won't put up with it, humans should never put up with it. My trainer says to raise my voice, tell her off or that's rude, push her off and ignore her for at least 10 minutes, if you are sitting on the floor playing, get up immediatly and walk away.

That's just my experience and what I have learnt about mounting, often times it's looked at as a sexual act, it's not always the case. :dog:

Basic obedience training and teaching your dogs manners will help with all kinds of behavioral issues, there are all kinds of stages of development with puppies, not all of them are easy or fun, also, make sure you socialize your pup with dogs of all sizes, especially other puppies, they learn alot from other dogs!! Good luck and have fun!!