Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Who wants to hear a brutal funny story?

Bill & Bob
May 9th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Ok, so it's not soo funny. More "oh that's not good" kind of story. Just heard it this morning from a friend of mine who guaranteed me it's not some urban myth, but happened on the West Side of Vancouver.
Some guy has a dog. Don't know the breed. Lives in a very nice, pretty expensive house that's a restored heritage home. Expensive doesn't necessarily mean much since theres a crazy real estate market in Vancouver, but that's besides the point.
Anyhoo, they went to leave the house for the afternoon and for whatever reason, the pooch couldn't come with, thus was going to be left at home.

They've got this island in their kitchen with a sink in it. You can probably see where this is going at this point. As consequence would have it, they also have bar stools around the island and had left some dishes on there too. So, the dog went up on the chair to lick some of the dishes on the island. At least that's what they figure at this point. Knocked a bowl into the sink covering the drain. You can definitely see where this is going now. Then he hits the hot water tap somehow and it starts running.

Well, a few hours later they came home. Found the tap running along with a house full of water and a dog sitting on a couch that was practically floating from the sounds of things, with a lovely smile about the accomplishment he'd made. Hardwood floors looked like waves on the beach. Drywall, hooped. Carpets, toast. Couches, toast. Lots and lots of other damage to various items including antiques and stuff.
Someone came in and gave them a damage estimate of approximately $100K.
Oh my........

woodbyter
May 9th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Hope they had DOG gone good insurance coverage. :D

Bill & Bob
May 9th, 2004, 01:59 PM
I wonder if insurance would cover that kind of thing? I'm not a home owner and haven't a clue about such things, but wouldn't the fact that it wasn't an equipment failure or something like that disqualify a claim?
Boy, I'd be upset if that was the case.

Spoiled
May 9th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Another good reason to kennel a big dog when you're away! :p

woodbyter
May 10th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Everyone with the potential for such a situation, Damage caused by resident dog shoud xheck with their carrier however I would think since it is not a Natural disaster and not on purpose it would be covered - at least the first time. After that they might cancel.

Luba
May 10th, 2004, 04:31 PM
OH wowie what a story!!! Yikes can u just imagine that

melanie
May 10th, 2004, 06:12 PM
i have my dog insured for medical bills ect. i could just imagine the reaction i would get if i rang them and tried to claim this one, ha. but you can imagine it happening, charlie once ate through the back door (tore a hole in it) to get into the house to sit and she did. little freak, just wanted to sit on her bed in the lounge room. a friends dog ate the banistar of the stairs, just ate right through it. :eek: :rolleyes:

cmt489
May 10th, 2004, 06:32 PM
It would most likely be covered under your homeowner's policy but not your pooch's medical insurance... :)

I have reviewed a lot of insurance policies in my life and all of the homeowner ones that I have looked at would likely cover this, ahem, "incident" since your dog's actions would not be considered a deliberate act of an insured under the policy... at least not yet; some fancy policy writing should fix that one up in the near future... :p

Another good one was when my parent's Akita ate the ENTIRE interior of my car (well at least the seat belts, back seat, gear shift, e-brake and steering wheel). She was working on the yellow pages when we found her and, quite ironically, had worked her way to "Taxidermists"..... Did she have foresight? :rolleyes: My comprehensive insurance covered it - thank God!!

This is not to say everyone's insurance will cover this type of claim since you have to read each specific policy! :D

Michelle

melanie
May 10th, 2004, 06:44 PM
your car :eek: , that would take alot of control wouldnt it, i would have had to work hard to keep myself from killing the pup, that really is bad, :eek: :eek: ;)

Bill & Bob
May 10th, 2004, 06:48 PM
I've got a friend with an antique Acadian. Left the dog in it alone for 5 minutes. Came out and no more material on the roof of the car.

Bob taught me a good lesson the first week I had him. I was going to a friends place to pick them up for a dog walk. I had Bob in the back of the Honda. I put the gear shift in neutral and put the Ebrake on. As I'm knocking on their door, I hear the most horrible grinding sound coming from my car. Bob decided to try and get in the front seat and had his paw on the gear shifter leaning forward to see me, and decided to try and put it in first without the clutch. I didn't think I could run that fast to get to the car but I did! No more dog in the car while parked with the engine running.