Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats peeing down heat registers

simonsmom
July 14th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I have had quite a problem with one of my cats ( I'm actually not sure which one) peeing down the heat registers in my home. I have a forced hot air furnace and I had noticed a cat smell and did some searching only to find that their was cat urine down the register. Has anyone else had this problem? I have bought plastic covers to sit on top of these floor registers. I have also put an item such as a chair or table over some of these registers in those that I'm able to. I still find occasional cat urine around the register area. Any thoughts, anyone?

sugarcatmom
July 14th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Whenever a cat starts to urinate innapropriatey, a medical issue needs to be ruled out. Might be a bit of a problem if you can't figure out which cat it is though! Other than that, how many litter boxes do you have? The general rule is that you need one box per cat and then one extra. One of your cats could be having an issue with having to use the same box as everyone else. For more info on litter box issues, this website is very helpful: http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

I hope you can figure out who the culprit is and solve the problem soon!

Kristin7
July 15th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Yes, I have seen this before. The cat I had growing up started doing this when her kidneys started to fail. If you can figure out which cat is responsible, a vet will be able to help determine if this is behavioral or otherwise.