Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

black stuff coming out of kittens noses?

judynobooty
July 14th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Hi everone! We just got 2 kittens a little while ago, and ive noticed they have this black stuff coming out of thier noses. You dont actually see it coming out but it forms this i dont know like a scab around their nose holes. I'll pick it off and it comes back. They also have alot of black stuff in thier ears. We got them from our neighbor and they have never been outside. Thier mother goes out once in a while and seems healty. They seem very healthy, very, very energetic normal kittens, except this black stuff. They were however locked in a room with a ferret which was in a cage for 6 weeks and it stunk really bad in there! i dont know if that has anything thing to do with it or not but?? if anyone knows anything about this please let me know! ty :confused:

Winston
July 14th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I am not sure what the black stuff is but you should bring them to the vet for a thorough check up...sometimes kitties catch things from their Mom..So if Momma goes out once in awhile I would say the babies could catch something?

Keep up posted on how their doing?

Cindy

mummummum
July 14th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Black stuff could be blood, it could be fleas or mites, it could be, but based on your post is unlikely to be, dirt. The nose is a pretty constricted passage. It has incoming from the ears and throat (and therefore stomach and lungs) but in certain circumstances it can also show that something is going on in the brain.

You need to take them to the Vet ~ no doubt about iot ~ please let us know how you make out !

judynobooty
July 15th, 2007, 02:59 AM
ty guys, i plan on taking them to the vet, but right now in search of a new one dont like our old one. Plus 2 kittens and the shots and all that is expensive. lol i know i know shouldnt have got them if couldnt afford them but the neighbors were gonna put them outside and i just couldnt have that! They did have fleas when they got here and i bought my other cats flea collars and i have seen any fleas or thier residue in quite a while!

krdahmer
July 15th, 2007, 03:30 PM
It's better to invest in a flea product like Revolution from the vets, they are more effective and treat more than just the fleas, In my experience the collars don't really work at all. It costs a bit more (I think I pay about $10 per cat) but it usually gets rid of them in one dose. And to get them out of the house you can spray VetChem spray at the base boards and cut up the flea collars and put them into your vacuum bag to kill the ones you suck up.

And thank you for taking the little guys in, do what you can as you can afford it. And when looking for a vet maybe try to find one that would be open to payment plans. I have an account with mine so that if one gets sick and we don't happen to have the money, they get seen right away and then we pay as soon as we can, and with multiple pet homes that is important cause those vet bills can get big fast. :goodvibes:

kiara
July 15th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I volunteer for a cat rescue group and see this too often. Too bad your neighbors are irresponsible cat owners and let her roam, unnutered!! Has she been pregnant before? Was she ever vaccinated? The kittens need to go to a vet. Get checked-up, vaccinated, ears need to be cleaned, nose checked for possible obstruction? And when old enough, neutered. Good luck to you! Maybe it will give your neighbor a good example??