Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

down under Help!!!

Jim Hall
July 14th, 2007, 10:07 AM
:yell: Hi Some of you remember me from my intro thread abused shy cat
I have a tortie that developed conjuctivitus I have had cats with that before. No problem right? A litlte topical and a liitle oral antib. They don't like it but wiil put up with it
Big problem D U was an aboused cat and i have just recently have had her approcach for a quick brush and a pet before or after i put some food down for her, I tried to tempt her onto the carrier which i had left out last week and she had been going into it and chasing her catnip mpuse in to it.

Well of course seh knew somethong was up so, no way Jose.

Next scene chase cat eventually throw towel over the poor girl and stuff her into the carrier
Same thing at the vet she would have gladly bitten somebodies finger off
So as she is on the vets table, struggling like a banshee
the Vet says " WELL YOUR GONNA GET SOME DROPS FOR HER EVE , TWICE A DAY FOR 10 DAYS AND ALSO SOME ORAL ANTIBIOTIC YOU GOT TO SQUIRT DOWN HER THROAT : Holy hannah what the hell do i do now?
There is no way i can do that alone, she damn near took my thumb off just trying to stuff her in the carrier

I have a buddy coimuig over this am to help. great 1 down 19 to go

Any suggestions maybe cage her in a nice big cage till this is over
Or what ?

I am pretty sure the rescue org i got he cat from isnt going to say bring her back and i have no clue how to get her eye drops ( more of a gel really} in her eye .
any and all suggestions will be greatly appreiciated

She really is quite a nice cat and she has been semi friendly towards me but still wary .

badger
July 14th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Oh boy am I identifying with this. There is no ideal solution, you just have to battle through. Wrap her in a towel so all four limbs are secure, bring her onto your lap (I like to do this from behind, more efficient and less scary for the cat), hold her like a bundle with the arm that is opposite to the infected eye, reaching around with your forearm to open the eye slightly (cross your legs over her lower body if necessary) and apply the ointment (which is already on your finger) directly into the eye. The quicker you can carry out this operation the better. Try not to yell when she sinks an errant claw into your flesh.
This manoeuvre doesn't work every time but when it does it's brilliant.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
If you have a helper, all the better.

I don't see any point in confining her further. Better that she carry on in a familiar space. Every change registers with a cat, depending on their sensitivities.

Give her as much attention as she'll allow outside of the treatment times :eek: , so she knows you're the same, loving person and wish her no harm. Even a quick scratch behind the ears is a help.

You might also want to add 250 mg Lysine to her wet food twice a day, in case what she has is in fact herpes, a virus which never goes away and commonly erupts during periods of stress. If she only has problems with one eye, this is a strong indication that it may be herpes. The Lysine (it must be pure lysine; I get it at the health food store in capsules which I empty into the canned food) supports the immune system and it does seem to help shorten healing times. In my experience, secondary infections are almost certain and these must be treated with antibiotics.
Just a heads up.

Good luck. I keep reading about vet meds available as a gel that you rub into their ear every day but I haven't heard any first-hand accounts. If things get really hairy and you're about to come down with cat-scratch fever, you may want to ask your vet to look into the possibility.

Jim Hall
July 14th, 2007, 11:56 AM
thanks for your kind advice badger
i had my buddy here today and we git some anotb in her eyes they alrady look a lot better
pretty ironic that if its herpes and i got to chase her a pin her down and stress her out that brings moore stress and more etc
oh well the joys of pets EH?

I really do love her and she was raelly strting t o get used to me
hopefully she will be sweet enough to forgive for putting ehr through this
I am also going to see about getting a loop stick /

Its amazing how strong and how tough cats are though.

hazelrunpack
July 14th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Oh, good luck, Jim! :eek: I can't even imagine how you'd pill or treat a determined cat! :grouphug: For sure keep us posted on how your little one progresses!

Thank heavens there are experienced cat people like badger on the board to give you some pointers! hazel has too many dogs to have any cat experience :o

krdahmer
July 14th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Ya towel works... I have to wrestle my 18 lb er into one to do any sort of medicating or claw clipping. Also maybe while she has the meds and you have to handle her maybe you should add some rescue remedy to her water to help calm her. It may help you get closer to her and show her you mean no harm. It works great also for traumatic vet trips.

Oh ya and keep the peroxide handy, and don't worry you can make up really cool stories for the scars!!:laughing: :goodvibes:

Jim Hall
July 14th, 2007, 06:59 PM
yup im getting some rescue remedy tomorrow when i go hlep out at adoption day

The more i think about how i was trested at the vey the angrier im getting
why am i givng my cat antibiotics for what is most likeky a viral infection?
And why didt he attempt any testing or diagnosis on what was causing the infection he said it was probably herpes probably doesnt cut it
well is she still not eating by monday im gonna got to my friends vet place its bloody expensive but i know she will be in excellent hands

not to mention the vet tech called my beautifull cat a "beast "
I told her that is was scared to death not mean :mad:

badger
July 14th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Read this link and all will become clear: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_herpes_viral_conjunctivitis.html

Jim Hall
July 15th, 2007, 02:55 AM
what an excellent site thank you

Jim Hall
July 15th, 2007, 01:56 PM
:goodvibes: howdy folks well down under is feeling a bit better today she ate 4 ounces of fancy feast and some water took a dump and a pee and is snooozing

I still have to handle her for her antib's and I was thinking of a stick and noose any thoughts ? i like the idea because your dont have to grab and risk injury to her
not to mention me It looks awfull i know but which is less likely to cause injury to her ?

badger
July 15th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Are you serious? I didn't think so.
Be brave but firm, it would take quite a bit to actually hurt her. Wear gloves if it makes you feel less exposed.
So 'down under' is the name of the cat? I thought you were Australian :laughing: . Or from Paterson, New Jersey, home of the late great poet (and insurance salesman) e.e. cummings.

Jim Hall
July 15th, 2007, 09:51 PM
well i was before i reseached it thanks for replying kindly instead of calling me an idiot like i deserved I went out and bought the heaviest pair of gloves i could find

i also bought some of that non proppelent aersol to spray

the frozen fish thread was great any other ideas to tempt my nasally challenged cat to eat?

otter
July 15th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Jim, I don't know if this will help but I put my cat in a pillow case (a THICK pillow case) when I have to take her to the vet and it might work for putting the ointment in her eye etc. I put her whole body in the case and leave just her head out, then cinch up the opening of the case round her neck and put a collar on her (obviously you'll need to make the collar larger to account for the extra space the pillow case takes up ) - I actually have a special pillowcase, I think it might even be a laundry bag, made of thicker cotton, almost canvas, that has a draw string at the opening and it works great, no collar needed with the draw string. With the cat "in the bag" she can still move around and not feel totally confined yet, those nasty claws are all contained!

Jim Hall
July 15th, 2007, 11:30 PM
yeah i heard of that one i might give the laundry sack a try
i bought a pair of very heavy duty glloves and a really thock relly large bath towel fo rtomorrow and some of that spay stuff w phermines and st johns wort

dtbmnec
July 16th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Are all limbs still attached (I'm talking about yours :p)?

If so you're doing well :)

Good luck

Megan

P.S. Otter...a pillow case...oh the boys are going to hate me forever now :) *giggles evilly*

otter
July 16th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Well, I just about lost a finger or two (plus a bit of arm) trying to get cat into a carrier (note to anyone purchasing a cat carrier, get one with a top opening!!) so the pillow case was a great alternative. The cat gets used to it pretty quick, they can still fully see what's going on, can move freely but can't get anywhere tooo quick... just remember to watch out for TEETH!

Jim Hall
July 16th, 2007, 12:46 PM
all limbs and digits are atachhed both on me and my great buddy whose helping me out i just wrangled her and she sort of hid in a corner and let me wrap her up so i guess she getting resigned to it also i think the ointment sooths her eye so she may realise its a good thing
I am amazed at the resiliency and basic good nature of all the cats i have know in my life :highfive:

just remember to watch out for TEETH!
oh yeah thinking of puuting that on a tee shirt

Jim Hall
July 17th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Since yesteday when i had to catch down under and get the antib in her eyes
she had remained in her safe place and hasnt eaten or really moved from there except to pee I am in despair. I am almost ready to bring her back to the rescue shelter

Its silly i know but i feel so bad for this poor soul and before she got sick she was doing so good. I am frustraded and angry at myself and at a loss on how to help this poor girl
i dont think since friday she has eaten more than 10 oz of food
I have tried everthing from tuna to her favorite fancy feast to boiled chicken livers and boy was that disgusting
If any one can tell me anything at all I can do
She looks so sad and depressed and I have no clue what to do Ive been on the floor talking to her this morning and she just looks away

chico2
July 17th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Awww Jim,poor little kitty,but please don't give up on her..
When I take my Rocky(11yrs) or Chico(almost 10)to the vet,it's a 2-person job to get them in to the carrier and I've had them since kittenhood.
All the way to the vet,in the car,they howl as beeing tortured,it is not unusual for any cat to react that way.
I also have my Rocky on meds twice daily,at feedingtime I put his 1/4 pill,mashed up in a little bit of food,he'll lick it up and then I give him the rest of the food,but of course first you have to get DU to eat.
As for putting on BIG gloves,my cats are terrified of gloves:confused:
Rocky at one time was on calming meds,it came in the form of a gel,applied to the inside of his ear,you could ask your vet if antibiotics can be administered that way too.
Also,since she is in such an agitated state,I would give handling her a rest for now..IMO,her health problems are not fatal..just a thought..first she has to eat:cat:

want4rain
July 17th, 2007, 08:34 AM
i have two cats im giving pills to right now.... while both are pretty gentle cats... id like them to stay that way!! what im doing is cutting the pills up and putting them into little egg white squares. just hard boil the eggs and chop the white up into squares. if you put a slit into it and slip the side of it, tuck part of the pill in and then roll it in some yummy juices, goes right down. as for the rest of it... good luck!!!

-ashley

Jim Hall
July 17th, 2007, 09:04 AM
im not giving up on her its just that im afraid she is going to get sicker because of no food I cannot handle her to give her anything because she is terrified of being handled
i ahve had cats before that didnt like the vet and have had to give pills and meds to them but they just didnt curl up and do nothing after wards
I do not wnat to give her up but i do not wnat her to get sicker she was doing so well before she got her conjuctivitis the rescue woamn was amazed at how well she was doing
she is a beautifull srong survivor and has been through so much i just want her tio be well and content.

badger
July 17th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I wonder if the rescue would take her back until she's better. Why don't you have a chat with them? It is not an admission of failure on your part, she got sick at the wrong time, just when she was beginning to feel comfortable with you. She would probably be caged, but sometimes small spaces are comforting when one is feeling poorly. The not eating worries me a bit.

You could try keeping her in a room by herself, reduce her stimulation to a minimum. Put the food out - the smellier the better - and just leave her be, except when you have to treat her.

Feeling helpless when our babies are sick - even if they don't fight the meds -is common currency here, but what she has is not life-threatening and she WILL recover :) .

sugarcatmom
July 17th, 2007, 10:35 AM
im afraid she is going to get sicker because of no food.

That's definitely a possibility. Anytime a cat goes without food for more than 48hrs, they're at risk for developing hepatic lipidosis ("fatty liver"), as well as suffering from dehydration, which makes them feel sicker and even less likely to eat. It could be that the antibiotics are making her feel nauseous (many cats don't tolerate them very well). Hate to say it, but I think another vet visit is in order. At the very least, a different antibiotic might be the way to go. Can you try offering her some chicken baby food (no onions)? Maybe some plain unsweetened yogourt? At this point, the primary concern is that she eat.

Love4himies
July 17th, 2007, 11:02 AM
She really needs to eat. I would try badger's suggestion of putting her in a small room with the smelliest food, perhaps sardines mixed with tuna. If she doesn't eat that, then your only option may be to force feed her a high calorie prescription diet from your vet with a large syringe while she is on antibiotics. I watered down the food to make it a bit runny and warmed it slightly (about the same temperature as a baby bottle milk) when I had to do this to one of my cats when he was on antibiotics. It ensured that he stayed hydrated as well as getting some vitamins. It was cheaper than having the vet do it.

Cats can often turn anorexic (sp?) while on medication.

Jim Hall
July 17th, 2007, 12:13 PM
well im not giving her the oral just the topical and she is at this point so frightened. i think im gonna leave the house for a few hours and see what happens but if she doesnt eat today im gonna have to bring her back to the rescue ther is no way im gonna force feed a cat that cant be hadled without her being scared to death

dtbmnec
July 17th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Oh no :(

Take her to the vet first....The vet I used to use had a follow-up policy of sorts where if something wasn't working out they'd see you for free within a certain time period (I think it changed depending on what was done)....

Or get her a box. Just an ordinary cardboard box. Put her food/water dishes inside it (make it a big box) and maybe she'll feel safe enough in there? Like you aren't going to "pounce" out of nowhere?

I know that my boys go crazy over salmon and tuna...try that?

Megan

Jim Hall
July 17th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Well i went out and got sardines and chopped em up with some tuna cat food. I built a liitle screen where she is behind my dresser she has plenty of room the dresser is in an alcove so she has about a meter squre behind there and the screen is by the opening on the side
i gave her the food in there and went out for a hour and when i got back she had eaten it all!! yeaaaaa!
so I will see whay happens i am still going to call the rescue lady tonight and see what she thinks I do not want to give her up!!!
She was doing so well before this happened and i am certainly willing to start again. I just want her content and healthy.
got my pictured s back from cvs as soon as i can get them scanned i will post them so you cxn sll love her as much as we do .

thank you all so much for your advice and sympathy it's good to know there are so many folks out there who care

dtbmnec
July 17th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Well i went out and got sardines and chopped em up with some tuna cat food. I built a liitle screen where she is behind my dresser she has plenty of room the dresser is in an alcove so she has about a meter squre behind there and the screen is by the opening on the side
i gave her the food in there and went out for a hour and when i got back she had eaten it all!! yeaaaaa!
so I will see whay happens i am still going to call the rescue lady tonight and see what she thinks I do not want to give her up!!!
She was doing so well before this happened and i am certainly willing to start again. I just want her content and healthy.
got my pictured s back from cvs as soon as i can get them scanned i will post them so you cxn sll love her as much as we do .

thank you all so much for your advice and sympathy it's good to know there are so many folks out there who care

Oh well that's such good news!!

Maybe that was all she really needed? A place that she felt she could eat without being pounced upon by the human?

Have you got any treats for her? I know that whenever I have to give my boys any meds or anything I almost always give them a few treats right afterwards. Maybe you could do that? maybe she wouldn't be so scared? Sort of a "yeah this really sucks but I get a treat afterwards so maybe its not so bad?"

Megan

chico2
July 17th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Jim,it's great she ate something,hopefully she will continue to do so:pray:
We'll be looking forward to pics of the little girl:thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
July 17th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Jim keep up the good work:thumbs up

Leave the screen where it is so she will always have a safe place:)

I know it must be frustrating most times that she is so scared but if you bring her back to the rescue undoubtbly it will undo all the good work you have done so far, she feels safe enough in your place that she is eating after being treated. I know she loves you & is very grateful to you for adopting her from the rescue it will take time for her to be able to show you. Please don't give up on her:pray:

looking forward to lots of pics:)

Jim Hall
July 17th, 2007, 11:42 PM
So D U came from out from bebind the dresser and explored some and lret me sit down and give her a pet for about 10 seconds i gave her some sardines mixed with somw fancy feast and she ate about half so far
yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

hers a ?? how long can i leave that out for ?

sugarcatmom
July 18th, 2007, 12:04 AM
i gave her some sardines mixed with somw fancy feast and she ate about half so far
yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I leave canned food out for my boy for as long as it takes him to eat it all, or until his next meal, whichever comes first. He's usually finished about 4-6 hrs later but there have been times where he's still nibbling the crusty remains at the 12hr mark. You can add extra water to keep it moister if that's what DU prefers.

Oh ya, and that's awesome that she's eating again! What a relief.

growler~GateKeeper
July 18th, 2007, 12:04 AM
So D U came from out from bebind the dresser and explored some and lret me sit down and give her a pet for about 10 seconds i gave her some sardines mixed with somw fancy feast and she ate about half so far
yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Great news!! Persistance makes all the difference:thumbs up

Not sure what you mean there?
If you're refering to the screen - I think you should leave it until she is comfortable enough to not need to hide behind it anymore.
If you mean the cat food - leave it out until she either finishes it or it becomes dried out (she won't eat it then) cats like to eat in small portions often throughout the day commonly refered to as grazing

keep up the good work, it's paying off.:)

Jim Hall
July 18th, 2007, 12:40 AM
ok thought the food might spoil
she usally eats it all within an hour

Love4himies
July 18th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Sounds like she is on the mend. Keep up the great work!:thumbs up

chico2
July 18th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Jim,see,it takes lots of baby-steps for her to gain trust,but I am certain,before you know it she'll come out of her shell:pray:
Cats are nibblers,will eat some and then come back for more,because of that,I keep a dish of good quality dry(Orijen)available all day and fresh cold water of course.
I do not recommend feeding only dry,I only leave it out for snacking..
:fingerscr that little DU will steadily improve:fingerscr
Going back to the shelter would probably be the end of her,as more people would adopt her and give up on her:sad:

Jim Hall
July 18th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks. actually after she ate last night she came out for a little brushing
so i think I was overeacting a little yesterday

As for her going back to the shelter i realise thats a bad thing and believe me, thats the very last thing i want to do I have no intention of giving up on her
as long as I can keep her healthy. She is not by any means a bad or mean cat.

I mean i could have gotten any number of mush cats lol including one who would not leave me alone at the shelter. but the satisfaction i am getting in interacting and watching this beautiful creature i have come out of her shell
is just amazing.

and yhr liitle glutton ate a whole van of fancy feast and half a can of sradines last night so i siscpedt i was getting plaed a little.

lol my former cat gimpy who had a back leg amputated did that, she would drag her stump across the floor when she wanted a treat .

Jim Hall
July 19th, 2007, 10:16 AM
si i fed d u about midnight yesterday when she came out she finished her food and came out again so i put a little more in her bowl and she lays down and and starts to doze lol I think she just likes knowing there is some food there. poor girl

she is dong really well looks very hydrated and is eating aboiut 8 oz of food a day

got my pics back i will try to scan and post some tonight

I got a call from the rescue org apparantly everyone there is waiting on my next report lol they all feel in love with her and think im a hero for taking her hime with me aww shucks

krdahmer
July 19th, 2007, 10:39 AM
It's funny I was driving through Paterson yesturday and I though of you and your kitty...

Glad to hear she is coming around. And I have also found that for the first while anyway abused or neglected rescues really need the comfort of knowing there is food there. Always having a little out can go a long way to gaining her trust, then when she knows its there and she can count on you you can worry about a routine. Palomine actually still gets a little vocal and clingy when the food bowls are empty, but he just follows me around cause he knows now that is where the food comes from.:)

Jim Hall
July 19th, 2007, 10:42 AM
i cant belive it you were in paterson nj?
welcome to the garden state

chico2
July 19th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Jim,I am sooo glad she's eating again and drinking,I think she's out of the woods as far as her health goes.
The emotional scars will heal too,one little baby-step at a time.:cat:
I have never had a cat who's been abused or neglected,but have had cats with stress-problems... patience and love will cure most emotional problems.
Can't wait to see this little girls pic!

Jim Hall
July 20th, 2007, 09:16 AM
i am pretty sure the imfection is still there to a degree but it doesnt ssem too be affecting her to much

well the next stuggle will be tues am when we bring her to my friend Lisa the vet surgeon. Shoiuld have briught her thier in the first place.

her hubby bryan who i have known since high school helped we wrangle her a few times so they vets should be ready.

it's funny watching her cause when she is brave enough to get petted you can tell she enjoys it .

growler~GateKeeper
July 20th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Try to stay as calm as possible when preparing for vet visit - she will know when you are stressed.

Do you have a carrier for her yet? You could always just use a carboard box w/top lifting lid - make sure you put several small holes in the lid for air - some cats find it less stressful than a traditional carrier.

:highfive: on the brushing too, this is a good way to show her affection as well as removing dead furs

good luck tues:)

Jim Hall
July 20th, 2007, 10:28 AM
lol cat in a box sounds like a dr seuss story
trouble with that is this is a strong cat and if she busts out im in big trouble i will thonk about it though yeah I hear you about stressing i do my breathing exercises before

how do you think i should treat her wehn she comes home from the vet visit?
let her out and put t treat in her bowl and go away or hang out and talk to her a little with a treat in a bowl?

i once transported a meezer mix from ohio to nj in a car in a big box
10 hours of meeeowwwww and wandering around my pinto hatchback
and i mean 10 hours blockhead didnt stop for a minute

growler~GateKeeper
July 21st, 2007, 01:23 AM
how do you think i should treat her wehn she comes home from the vet visit?
let her out and put t treat in her bowl and go away or hang out and talk to her a little with a treat in a bowl?

I would let her out in your room close her safe spot (the hide-behind screen) she will probably run for cover right away. Yes put a treat in her bowl, I would stay & talk to her for maybe 5-10 mins then leave the room, come back for a quick peek after 30 mins, bring out the brush & see how she responds - if she's up to it brush her a bit, if not let her be. This will show her you didn't do the vet visit just to upset her & are willing to give comfort (the sound of your voice & your presence nearby) & also respect her wish for a bit of alone time to calm herself down - will also give you some time to de-stress:). Depending on if she is given anything by Dr (like meds/vaccines) it might make her sleepy. All of my cats have been abit sleepy after vaccines.

When you talk to her on the way home & after you get home try not to make a big fuss about it ie too much "good girl your safe at home now" kind of gives them the impression "OMG that was a Huge ordeal" (same principle as over excited greeting of the kids/dogs when someone get home from work makes the act of leaving in the morning much harder {kids/dogs get way more anxious} because the person makes such a big deal about coming home)

:highfive: great job working with her to help overcome her fears, baby steps is the way to go. Lookin' forward to post-vet update