Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Odd Cat Behavior

Radish
July 14th, 2007, 12:23 AM
*I'm not sure if this belongs in "pet health" so my apologies if this is in the wrong forum!*

I've had this cat, Yogurt (my at-the-time 5 year old neighbor named her...haha), for 4 years - she's spayed, had all her shots, and hasn't had any obvious (I'll explain this in a minute) health problems. We got her from the vet where she, 2 sisters and brother were rescued after mama had been hit by a car when they were left on the side of the road - why these stupid people didn't leave the carrying cage closed on the steps of the clinic is beyond me...grr. We took all 3 girls (boy was already taken) and they all turned into beautiful, sweet cats. Unlike her "normal" sisters, Yo is a bit of a strange cat and I've always wondered if there could actually be something medically wrong with her (yet forget to ask the vet every time).

I don't know if any of these are related but here are her eccentricities.

1) She regularly kneads and sucks on blankets and almost get a possessed look in her eye until you pet her and talk to her.

2) Almost every night (pretty consistently at 11pm) she tears around the house like something is chasing her (but not in the regular cat-playing fashion), crouches low to the ground, is very twitchy, her back skin/fur ripples, and she'll bite/lick her back near her tail.

3) A couples times, also at night, she's started meowing/howling while hiding in a corner until you pet her and talk to her.

4) Also on a few occasions she's been sleeping on my lap and woken up with a start, meows (short), and tries to bite until you pet her and start talking to her.

5) She tends to be a bit spooky at things (more at night) - like coming around corners, through doors, etc.

Our first thought was that her hearing or sight might be compromised but she turns and looks at you as soon as you call her and she chases string/toys with no problems. When I googled the symptoms, the things that came up were brain tumor (but I assume this would've worsened) and cat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (seems silly but apparently happens). Any thoughts as to what could be causing her to be like this (any or all symptoms)? Once again, my family has had many cats (the strays love us) and never any like this. She due for her shots again soon so I'll ask the vet about it as well.

Thanks!

badger
July 14th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Ask the vet about rippling skin disorder:

http://cats.about.com/od/healthfaqs/f/ripplingskin.htm

PS I would put off the vacs until she is better

growler~GateKeeper
July 14th, 2007, 01:15 AM
1) She regularly kneads and sucks on blankets and almost get a possessed look in her eye until you pet her and talk to her.

This is usually because the cat was taken from/lost mom before weaned or was ready (some cats take longer to "let go" of needing mom than others) this is a comfort to her, kind of like a soother to babies. It's okay for her to be sucking on the blanket, try to get her a blanket that doesn't shed fluffy stuff - so she doesn't ingest too much of it.

Ditto what Badger says re the other issues

bendyfoot
July 14th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Badger,
I've never heard of this condition before...and it sounds like it might explain one of my cats...

The Trademark Rippling Skin
The skin on the cat's lower back visibly ripples, accompanied by the cat's biting and scratching at his back or tail. Yep...she crouches low, the skin on her back gets all ripply, she takes a few quick swipes at her back and legs with her mouth...Loud and Insistent Meowing
Cats afflicted with this syndrome may also meow loudly for no apparent reason, often at night. Almost every night she launches into the most god-awful sounding screeching meows for about 5 minutes for no apparent reason.Strange Eye Appearance
His pupils may become dilated, and he may stare blankly into space. His eyes may appear "glassy." Often...any time she is kneading...very regularly...sometimes she lauches into unprovoked attacks after the eyes change.
Erratic Racing
The cat will often run in circles, or race off, first in one direction, then another. She runs back and forth accross the floor at full speed, often crashing into objects/furniture...probably daily
Sensitivitiy to Touch
A cat affected with rippling skin disorder may sometimes show extreme sensitivity and discomfort with petting. She's a biter...but only when she's being petted.

This is the strangest thing I've ever heard of! She's on antianxiety pills right now because of the aggressive behaviours...perhaps we should be investigating the phenobarb...I need to talk to my vet about this for sure. She's always been weird, touchy, just plain odd with inexplicable behaviours.
Thanks for posting this link!!!

Radish
July 14th, 2007, 02:44 PM
growler - I had heard that before. Mama was hit by a car when they were pretty young so that's probably why. I will let her suck away (the blanket she usually does it on isn't very fluffy). :)

Thanks badger! That fits perfectly - now to find out what's causing it. I can't imagine it's flea bites (they get shots) or toxins (shots from the vet, nothing in the house for her to get into, etc). So that leaves Pansteatitis or Brain Involvement. She needs to get her shots (but may wait on that, depending on what the vet says) so I'll make an appointment for her and see what he says.

Thanks so much everyone!

krdahmer
July 14th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Um... all those behaviours sound like a pretty normal day around here. I have at least one or two that fit every one of those descriptions. As long as everything is medically ruled out, it is probably just issues from the mom getting hit and the poor kittens being there. And some kitties are just more skittery than others.:goodvibes: