Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how can i differentiate between parvo and intestinal obstruction

eddyrmz
July 13th, 2007, 07:32 PM
i need to know how to differentiate a diagnostic for parvo and intestinal obstruction. because my 4 month golden retriever is sick , he havent eat since monday morning (last eat monday morning) he began vomiting afeter mid day just a crearly vomit. he didnt ate that day after vomiting we took him to the vet. he prescribed amoxcicilin (suspension) and paracethamol becasue he diagnoses a gastrointestinal infecction of something organic he could ate. but he didnt get better so next day (tuesday) he had a little diarrhea and we took him again with the vet and he gave a shot of a quinolon at the hospital. and prescribed amikacin 100mg 1shot for 3 days e/12hrs, paracethamol and furoxona for the diarrhea. he didnt want to eat normal food so he prescribed also baby food (gerbers) to avoid hurting her stomach.
i gave him a shot fo amikacin and his gerber he ate so good.
on wednesday i try to give him an another gerber but he rejected he didnt want to eat nothing. i forced him to ate and he accepted but when i gave him a electrolyte serum he vomitted 2 minutes later. at night he made poop like kind of "normal" as he made normally. (like doughy (pastoso in spanish))
to avoid the dog getting dehydrated i gave him serum oral way
on thursday we were also trying to get something to eat but we decided to suspend food (gerber) and also water(serum) because he vomitted.

i continue gave him the amikacin shots each 12 hrs (100 mg)until thursday mornig was last shot. then i decided to search on internet why he didnt show any improvement so i Found on internet that intestinal obstruction and parvovirus has some kind of simmilarities like depression, vomit, diarrhea, anorexy, etc. So im trying to discard th eparvo because it havent been so continuous the vomittong neither the diarrhea and only once diarrhea with a very few blood and like kind of clear mucus.

im thinking also on instestinal obstruction because Mac (my golden ret...) he was always biting somthing like paper, socks, shoes, sandals etc.. was always biting also plastic bags sometimes with kitchen trash etc.

i took him today to another vet hospital at the veterinary university because there is a animal hospital so i explained all this and told her that i suspect fot an intestinal obstruction because as i know parvo in three days with some kind of lack of attention, die because of excessive diarrhea. so they ordered a radiography and they didnt find anything so they ordered a contrast radiography with barium (bario in spanish) and as time goes by he vomitted also the contrast sustance (barium) and also he made a little diarrhea so theygave metoclorpramida to avoid vomit and to improve peristaltism in order to movilize the barium transit on the intestine.
but at the second radiography about 15 minutes of the first time barium was given they saw a kind of foreign object it was like round circle object with a black center and we though that was the object obstructing the intestine.
but later when all barium has finished crossing the intestina, they kind of told me that the best diagnose is parvovirus. because all the barium completed his way in all intestine with any apparent obstruction.
im also kind of accepting because my dog wasnt innmunized for parvovirus and im feeling so terrible for being responsible for this.

im just praying for my little dog to get better and now is at the hospital with antibiotics (amoxcicilin) and rehydratation)by IV way, and also toldme they are gaving him vitamins.

i also read yesterday that there was some kind of "therapy" with some antibodies for parvo i cant remember its names but i can remember that are made from horses serum i guess...i cant find the web page where i saw that ..

so im wondering if you know something about this therapy you could help me to help my little dog.

Dr Lee
July 13th, 2007, 08:18 PM
In short: the clinical signs for intestinal obstruction and parvovirus are overlapping. Also other diseases can have similar signs. (If they all had tell tale clinical signs without confusing overlap, then the need for testing would not exist). It sounds like the veterinarians feel that foreign body obstruction has been ruled out, correct?? Is there a reason why you are still worried about a foreign body obstruction?

Haven't they run a parvo fecal ELISA testing? If the pet has never been vaccinated for parvo, then that would be a likely cause of the clinical signs. Also if the pet has never been vaccinated, then false positive testing is not likely. False positives usually occur when vaccinations for parvo have been given within a couple of weeks of the testing.

Your questions on other medications and parvo treatment:

The mainstay of therapy is supportive care including IV fluid therapy, antibiotic therapy, antiemetics (anti-vomiting) medications, etc... Close monitoring of red blood cell percentage and blood protein are often needed in addition to the standard monitoring of clinical signs. Most do well in the hospital. As Mac is four months old and is a large breed dog, his chances are better than smaller, younger dogs.

The 'horse' medication that I think you are referring to is called endotoxin antisera. It is administered once IV. Some veterinarians use it, some do not. It is used to help prevent endotoxemia from the intestinal bacteria.

One of the best medications used with parvo is Tamiflu (oseltamivir phosphate). The survival rate with this medication is enhanced; however, it needs to be given early in the state of the disease. This can be obtained from most human pharmacies.

With respect to your question on parvo virus and obstructions, I should not that one of the complications of parvo virus, especially if untreated, can be intussusception which is a telescoping of the intestines inside itself. The intestines then creates its own obstruction and without surgery is fatal. I am sure that your veterinarian team is monitoring for this complication while he is hospitalized.

I am glad that you have his hospitalized at the veterinary hospital. Please let us know how he is doing. :pawprint:

mummummum
July 13th, 2007, 10:51 PM
It sounds like the veterinarians feel that foreign body obstruction has been ruled out, correct?? Is there a reason why you are still worried about a foreign body obstruction?
...With respect to your question on parvo virus and obstructions, I should note that one of the complications of parvo virus, especially if untreated, can be intussusception which is a telescoping of the intestines inside itself. The intestines then creates its own obstruction and without surgery is fatal. I am sure that your veterinarian team is monitoring for this complication while he is hospitalized.

I think the Op is worried it is intusseption rather than a foreign object but just doesn't know it :

"but at the second radiography about 15 minutes of the first time barium was given they saw a kind of foreign object it was like round circle object with a black center and we though that was the object obstructing the intestine."

Likely the Vet either didn't explain that what looked like a circular object could be a partial "telescoping of the intestines inside itself" or it was not understood.

Let us know how your wee one makes out Eddyrmz. Parvo can be frightening but it can be cured with some degree of success if caught in time and treated properly.

eddyrmz
July 16th, 2007, 06:27 PM
In short: the clinical signs for intestinal obstruction and parvovirus are overlapping. Also other diseases can have similar signs. (If they all had tell tale clinical signs without confusing overlap, then the need for testing would not exist). It sounds like the veterinarians feel that foreign body obstruction has been ruled out, correct?? Is there a reason why you are still worried about a foreign body obstruction?

Haven't they run a parvo fecal ELISA testing? If the pet has never been vaccinated for parvo, then that would be a likely cause of the clinical signs. Also if the pet has never been vaccinated, then false positive testing is not likely. False positives usually occur when vaccinations for parvo have been given within a couple of weeks of the testing.

Your questions on other medications and parvo treatment:

The mainstay of therapy is supportive care including IV fluid therapy, antibiotic therapy, antiemetics (anti-vomiting) medications, etc... Close monitoring of red blood cell percentage and blood protein are often needed in addition to the standard monitoring of clinical signs. Most do well in the hospital. As Mac is four months old and is a large breed dog, his chances are better than smaller, younger dogs.

The 'horse' medication that I think you are referring to is called endotoxin antisera. It is administered once IV. Some veterinarians use it, some do not. It is used to help prevent endotoxemia from the intestinal bacteria.

One of the best medications used with parvo is Tamiflu (oseltamivir phosphate). The survival rate with this medication is enhanced; however, it needs to be given early in the state of the disease. This can be obtained from most human pharmacies.

With respect to your question on parvo virus and obstructions, I should not that one of the complications of parvo virus, especially if untreated, can be intussusception which is a telescoping of the intestines inside itself. The intestines then creates its own obstruction and without surgery is fatal. I am sure that your veterinarian team is monitoring for this complication while he is hospitalized.

I am glad that you have his hospitalized at the veterinary hospital. Please let us know how he is doing. :pawprint:

Hey
:)
today i went to the hospital and they gave me back MAc, im really happy i went on saturday and he has been treated with iv hydratation and some antibiotics. now on monday the vet told me Mac havent vomitted nor evacuee since he has been canalized IV, he began to eat early morning orally some dog food and some water still at the hospital.
so i brought it back home today at 4 pm, he was feeling so good until he drank a lot of water and he vomitted twice i think because of the lot of water he drank.

the vet prescribed mac amoxicilin each 12 hrs,
metoclopramida and also riopan i guess its as an antiacid. for some 4 to 5 days.

well thanks for replying and i will be back in touch with you to tell you hows doing mac!! i hope it gets better :fingerscr

ok bye!!!

Dr Lee
July 17th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Glad to hear Mac is doing better! :dog: