Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

no house calls

Jenny Lanning
July 13th, 2007, 06:07 PM
my dog seems to have an ear infection but his vet is closed, is there anything i can do to comfort him until tomorrow?

Winston
July 13th, 2007, 08:35 PM
You can usually tell if it is red or itchy! most times it is smelly too! I have taken a nice soft wash cloth with warm water and tried to wipe out the ear..gently because it may be uncomfortable for your dog...If you can get your finger in a little bit you may find some build up inside the ear..again gently..You will probably need an war wash or antibiotics to clear it up?

A visit to the vet would be the best as we are not vets here! but hope this helps in the meantime!

Cindy

Dr Lee
July 13th, 2007, 09:17 PM
While a number of home remedies exist to help with ear infections, treating too soon to the vet visit can alter the quality of the ear swab microscope test which helps provide the vet with the information to make the best choice of medication for your pet.

As far as home remedies go: for cleaner: white vinegar and water 1:1 ratio has been recommended by some veterinary dermatologists. As far as treatment: I had a veterinary dermatologist tell me that monistat 7 and similar products worked well on yeast infections of the ear. Neither have undergone safety and efficacy trials... (I have had a few clients tell me that it worked though).

However, instead of using home remedies, my recommendation would be to keep him comfortable and see a vet as soon as an appointment is available.

Good luck:pawprint:

Jenny Lanning
July 13th, 2007, 09:32 PM
While a number of home remedies exist to help with ear infections, treating too soon to the vet visit can alter the quality of the ear swab microscope test which helps provide the vet with the information to make the best choice of medication for your pet.

As far as home remedies go: for cleaner: white vinegar and water 1:1 ratio has been recommended by some veterinary dermatologists. As far as treatment: I had a veterinary dermatologist tell me that monistat 7 and similar products worked well on yeast infections of the ear. Neither have undergone safety and efficacy trials... (I have had a few clients tell me that it worked though).

However, instead of using home remedies, my recommendation would be to keep him comfortable and see a vet as soon as an appointment is available.

Good luck:pawprint:

Thanks, I just want to keep him comfortable until then. I don't want to mess anything up.

Jenny Lanning
July 13th, 2007, 09:40 PM
You can usually tell if it is red or itchy! most times it is smelly too! I have taken a nice soft wash cloth with warm water and tried to wipe out the ear..gently because it may be uncomfortable for your dog...If you can get your finger in a little bit you may find some build up inside the ear..again gently..You will probably need an war wash or antibiotics to clear it up?

A visit to the vet would be the best as we are not vets here! but hope this helps in the meantime!

Cindy
Thanks. I want to keep him comfortable not treat him before I can get him to vet. But don't know what to do.

mummummum
July 13th, 2007, 09:40 PM
A warm compress ie. hot water bottle wrapped in a flannel on the outside of the ear is comforting and can help with draining if there is blockage or infection. Let us know how you make out.:fingerscr

Jenny Lanning
July 13th, 2007, 09:44 PM
A warm compress ie. hot water bottle wrapped in a flannel on the outside of the ear is comforting and can help with draining if there is blockage or infection. Let us know how you make out.:fingerscr

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. I Don't have hot water bottle , but I think maybe warm towels will do.

mummummum
July 13th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Actually, really hot water on a well-wrung washcloth would likely retain it's heat better. You can also try drawing very light-pressure circles (massage) below and behind his ear and around his temple.

You might also speak with your Vet about pain management as well. Some people use low-dose ASA, others use arnica.

And of course did anyone mention cuddles and lovin's :lovestruck: but, I'm sure you are way ahead of us on that one.