Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nathan Please Help

nathanlevi play
July 13th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I Have A 5 Pound Dog That Has Been Diagnosed With Stones In Her Bladder What Can I Do To Get Rid Of Them She Is Bleeding A Little When She Urinates I Have Been To The Vet But He Couldent Do Anything But Say It Would Be Expensive What Can I Do To Make Her Better?

mummummum
July 13th, 2007, 06:09 PM
What kind of bladder stones does she have and what did the Vet recommend
as possible courses of treatment? if you felt the costs were unjust, did you get a second opinion ? Talk with your Vet about payment plans ?

Please bear in mind that we are not Vet's, only people who love animals and cannot provide your with medical advice as such.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out to you that if your dog is bleeding as she urinates she is in horrific pain and that most of us would beg, borrow and steal if it were legal in order to get medical treatment for our animals particularly if they are in pain and suffering.

Dr Lee
July 13th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Bladder stones usually requires surgery and as soon as possible. If she is urinating blood, then antibiotics and pain medication until she goes to surgery would be a good idea.

Depending upon the type and size of stones there may be options like dissolution however, if the stones are numerous or large or the wrong type of stone (there may be mixed components of stones as well) then dissolution may not be an option. Typically if there is frequent, bloody urine, then due to patient comfort issues as well as risk factors, surgery is recommended.

Other non-surgical options like lithotripsy may not be an option due to the small size of your pet and often become more costly than routine bladder surgery.

I agree with mummummum, time to look in to payment plans and/or some relative's loans.

Good luck. :pawprint: