Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pee Pads and Potty Training

Hammermeister
July 13th, 2007, 05:44 PM
:rolleyes: I figured there needed to be a recent post for this issue here.

We have a 13 week old Chihuahua puppy named Boo.

He poops on his mat, but pees everywhere else.:confused:
Idealy, we want him to eventually tell us when hes gotta go, so we can walk him outside (we are in a 2nd floor apartment) rather than oing everything on the mat.

Any help or other questions about potty training a small dog? Why don't we start a good resource!:grouphug:

bendyfoot
July 13th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Someone asked a similar question in the training forum. In the interest of not repeating myself, check it out:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42523

You don't want to train the dog to go on the peepads "sometimes" if you plan on wanting it to be fully housetrained...otherwise you're confusing the dog...stick to one place and one place only...ideally outside. You're going to have to anticipate when he needs to go. If he's that young, it's going to be every hour or two, plus after he eats, plays, chews or naps.

bendyfoot
July 14th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Just thought of something else...if you want to teach the dog to tell you when he needs to go out, you can try installing some jingle bells within reach near the door. Everytime you take pup out to pee/poo, ring the bells just before you leave. Try to encourage the pup to do it himself by smearing some peanut butter or something else tasty on them...once they ring, out you go...

Purpledomino
July 14th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I second Bendyfoot's advice. We housetrained our Minpin this way (doorbell), worked like a charm. Also pick one spot for the potty area right from the get-go.....and don't waver from it. Crating is also a good idea, as toy breeds are crafty little things and will try to eliminate anywhere if they think they can get away with it, and have free run of the house. Good luck!