Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Abandonment Issues

chrisramsay11
July 13th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Please help!

I have a Golden Lab/Retriever that I adopted from the SPCA when he was about 8 weeks old.. He has been an amazing dog.. He is about 3 1/2 yrs old now and about 2 months ago he tore his ACL.. He is such a good dog that i didnt even hesitate to pay the 1500 for the surgery. He completed his surgery and everything was healing as it was suppose to about 5 weeks later when all of a sudden he tore his other ACL.. 1000 later we fixed his other ACL it has now been about 4 weeks and he is starting to heal and get mobile. About a week ago he started to panic any time he was left alone.. ie howling jumping up on windows sill and blinds, pooing in the house when he has never ever done that before. When we are home he is completely normal and the best dog ever.. Any suggestions on what might have changed his behavior all of a sudden and what to do about it.. I have tried leaving like a radio or tv on for noise but that didnt help.

mummummum
July 13th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Sorry to hear about the acl x2 (there are a few of us on the board going through that righ now :rolleyes: ) Did he injure himself at home to your knowledge ? Has any major change happened in your household (new members, different schedules, workers in and out ?

chrisramsay11
July 13th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Nothing has changed at home at all.. No schedules or anything.. All i can think of were his few days at the vet for observation.. I know he has never been caged before that but even still he was ok for about 2 weeks after coming home from the vet when everyone left and now its changed for some reason. He tore his first ACL just running in the yard playing he yelped and started hobbling and then his second one he was taking short walks as per his recovery schedule when he yelped again and couldnt walk.. both surgeries were a complete success and he is almsot back to normal which is incredible considering all hes been through in a short time!

mummummum
July 13th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Unless he had a bad experience in kennel and you crated him at home during recovery, then I haven't a clue. The only thing I can think of is that he is fearful he will get injured at home and that you aren't there to protect him/ save him from pain. The two week span may reflect the amount of time you kept him on pain meds. The only thing I can suggest is that you treat this like you would separation anxiety.

chrisramsay11
July 13th, 2007, 05:26 PM
thanks for the input.. i will try to spend even more time with him when home (if that possible) and hopefully less time away and give it a bit of time to hopefully get things back to normal and make him realize all is well at the homestead and that he is safe and sound regardless of whos is home!

hazelrunpack
July 14th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Here's a thought. 5 weeks of time elapsed between the first and second injury? And 3 - 4[/B] weeks after that he became anxious? Do you think he's anticipating being hurt again in another week because that's the amount of time that elapsed the first time? :shrug: If so, maybe the anxiety will extinguish once he realizes that he isn't going to have another injury :fingerscr

Good luck with your baby! :grouphug: :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes: Keep us posted on how he's doing!

sugarcatmom
July 14th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Here's an interesting story about a yellow lab named Moose that developed pretty severe separation anxiety later in his life: http://www.labadoption.org/linkpages/Available/Adopted/Moose.htm Maybe there are some tips on how his family dealt with it that can help you guys get through this as well. Good luck! (Glad to hear his ACL surgeries went well).

chrisramsay11
July 16th, 2007, 05:04 PM
thanks alot for the feedback and the link!! All your help is greatly appreciated and i will in fact keep you posted!:thumbs up

pitgrrl
July 16th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Just another suggestion. How active was your dog before the injuries?
In my experience, lack of excersise and anxiety in a dog can have a close relationship, and it sounds like your dog has not only been through a whole lot in recent months, but can't get any outlet because, ofcourse, he needs to heal.

It's just a thought.