Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Free neutering?

locco
July 13th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Today some guy was working on my kitchen and saw my cat and noticed that it wasn't neutered, so he told me there are free places to get them neutered. I have never heard of such places before, anybody knows about this?

Locco

ancientgirl
July 13th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I don't know where you live, but in Miami some of the pet shelters offer discounted spay/neutering and sometimes even free if you are a county resident. You should call a few shelters in your area and see what kind of programs they offer.

Kristin7
July 13th, 2007, 04:02 PM
It's possible. Not sure where you live, but in my city we do have places to go for low cost spay and neuter (not sure about free though). For cats it is $20, dogs are $30. There is an extra $10 charge if the animal is pregnant. Since it opened, the number of cats and dogs euthanized has been dropping. :thumbs up

mummummum
July 13th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Was it Mahaleani who spoke about the spay & neuter bus that travels about her town doing freebies particularly for ferals. I know that the City of Toronto used to run and free speuter program for catch and release ferals but I think they stopped about 8 years or so ago. (Duh-uhmb move in my opinion :mad:)

TeriM
July 13th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Firstly I would definately recommend getting your cat neutered no matter what. There are so many kittens already in this world who have no homes that anything you can do to prevent more kittens is great.

I'm sure that some programs exsist for spay/neuter, I would contact your local shelter to find out if they have any info. I would also urge you to fund this yourself if you are able so that others who aren't are able to use the service.

Good luck.

krdahmer
July 14th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I know here there is a program as well to help people spay and neuter their pets, you pay a significantly smaller fee according to what you can afford. Try contacting a local rescue or the local humane society they should be able to point you in the right direction. And depending where you live I have also heard of neuter/spay initiatives where like the bus thing they do a bunch all at once for no charge in the spring to avoid kitten season.

Good luck and please get it done asap.:goodvibes:

locco
July 15th, 2007, 01:18 PM
thanks guys for the replies, I live in Ottawa and will call around and check out their programs. because my vet gave me a really steep estimate 350+ for neutering, and this I can't afford especially when am working really hard saving for next years tuition :/ anyways if anybody knows a good shelter in my area please post, thanks again :):)

NoahGrey
July 15th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Hi Locco,

$350+ for a neuter? YES that is VERY pricey. A neuter should only be in the $100's and sometimes less. A good shelter is the Ottawa Humane Society.

Hope this helps.

ACO22

badger
July 15th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I pay just over a hundred dollars for vaccines and neutering in a relatively prosperous part of Montreal. The vaccs are obligatory before neutering.
350 is outrageous for a procedure that takes about 20 minutes and doesn't even require an overnight stay. Call around.
You'll be doing your cat - and the exploding cat population - a huge favour.