Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What do you think of this food, and what do you recommend?

brianna079
July 13th, 2007, 09:37 AM
So as we are preparing for the arrival of our puppy (7 day count-down!!), I have to go get some kibble for him (a bag of what he is currently eating, and a bag of better quality to do a gradual switch?).

First: He is currently on Nutram (for pups). What do you think of this food? Is there any sort of quality to this food? I've never seen it before.

Second: We've been looking around at the different kibble, and really like the EVO Red Meat, except it is just a bit too pricey. What would you recommend that is a good quality food, but maybe a bit nicer on my pocket book?

BTW, Mr. Puppy is a doberman (still haven't found a name for him though).

mummummum
July 13th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Yes, Evo is expensive. But, I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for when it comes to food and Evo is quality. I'm also a firm believer that if you feed your dog the best quality possible for your pocket book, the healthier your dog is and the less money you will spend on Vet bills. I would rather go without something myself so that my dawgs eat well (okay they actually eat better than I do most times :rolleyes: ). I've been feeding Orijen which I believe is less expensive than Evo, my dawgs love it and I'm extremely impressed with it's quality and their commitment as a manufacturer to animal health.

rainbow
July 13th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Seven day countdown.....you must be getting very excited. :D

I would change his food from Nutram. It contains corn :rolleyes: and corn gluten meal :yuck: as well as menadione (synthetic Vit K) which is banned in Europe for human consumption. :eek:

Orijen is a great food (www.championpetfoods.com) and is cheaper than EVO RM by a fair amount where I live. A large bag of EVO is $63.99 + tax and a large bag of Orijen is $49.95 + tax. Personally, I like the Orijen better than the EVO RM. :)

When you do switch make sure you do it gradually so it is easier on your puppy. And, don't forget we want to see pics of your new dobie pup when you get him. :D

Lukka'sma
July 13th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Orijen gets my vote too. Lukka does very well on it, she was on Innova in the past but just didn't process it well.

PetFriendly
July 13th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I'm a new fan of Origen myself. Both our dogs love it, and one is particularly hard to please. And given the quality of the ingredients, its less expensive than other brands plus its better quality. All the carbs in it are fruit and veggie based, which compliments a dogs metabolism nicely. There is a good spread of protein sources, also designed for the metabolism. Its harder to find, only a handful of places stock it reliably here in Ottawa, but if you can find it, get it!

If you are going to buy a bag of the pup's current stuff, get the smallest bag possible and start switching after he's settled in your home (a new home in itself can cause soft poop so you won't want to shock the system too badly)

brianna079
July 13th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I was actually debating on switching to the Orijen, gradually with his old stuff. I live in Montrael, and found this great pet food supply shop that has a HUGE variety of holistics & great food. I fogot to check out the $$ of the Orijen, but glad to hear it is a couple of bucks savings compared to the EVO RM.

Just got an update on him this moning - the litter had a vet visit this week, and my pup weighs in at a huge 11.2 lbs!! :eek: Hes the second biggest of th litter, his bigger bro is a 11.6 lbs!! It was a small litter of only 6, so they been eating really well! :thumbs up

And I will definatly post some pics when I get him home.

marine's girlie
July 23rd, 2007, 12:50 PM
http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1490

because you have a large breed puppy, i recommend looking carefully at the nutirnet content of his food. in my opinion, the EVO red meat is too high in calcium for a large breed puppy. the current recommendations according to research done with giant breed puppies indicates that calcium should be no more than 1.5%.
EVO is a good food, but this one is not for a puppy. i'm not intimately familiar with thier entire line, but i couldn't find a large breed pupy food. i'm sure they have one, but i don't know what its called.
i find that the grain-free diets are often not appropriate for growth unless they are specifically formulated as such.

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/products/puppyLargeAnalysis.aspx

the orijen looks better and at least they give you a max, so you know its not sky high. the ones that give you only a minimum value can be higher than that, which is not good. the EVO is too high to begin with and since they don't mention it, ican only assume that this value is a minimum, which means it can actually be higher, increasing the risk of growth complications.
just food for thought....

clm
July 23rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
I'm using Orijen dry mixed with wellness canned for my pups and they're loving it.

Cindy

Mia101
August 18th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I thought for large breed the protein and fat were supposed to kept below 24% and 14%? :confused:

clm
August 19th, 2007, 04:25 AM
I think it's too high calcium levels you need to be concerned with with puppy food.

Cindy

rainbow
August 19th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Orijen makes a large breed puppy formula:

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/products/puppyLarge.aspx

brianna079
August 20th, 2007, 12:20 PM
So, we weaned him off the Nutram and onto the Chicken Soup for Puppies (because we thought it would be a less drastic change for now, than change him to better later). It has not been going well on the Chicken Soup, his poop was about the texture of gravy, and he through up twice as well (but we're not sure the food made him throw up).

So, we went back to see our girls at the great pet food store and went through the options and chose the Orijen. After only 1 day he was doing much better, and now everything seems to be 100% (hes been on it now for 6 days).

A big thumbs up to Orijen!!

rainbow
August 20th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Glad to hear he is doing good on the Orijen. :thumbs up I hope you're posting pics of the new arrival :stork-baby: :lovestruck: in the photo forum soon. :fingerscr

mummummum
August 21st, 2007, 05:20 AM
Yup, Orijen is a truly nutritious food ~ I've been very pleased with our results here too. Glad you converted ~ welcome to The Club !!