Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A New Puppy with an In-Heat Cat

Hammermeister
July 13th, 2007, 03:18 AM
So today my wife and I bought a new male Chiuahuah puppy, and brought him home. His name is BOO.
He is 13 weeks old, and full of kisses and lots of energy.
The last time I had a puppy it was a Yellow Lab and I was 10 and all I remember is its puppy years almost had my parents giving it away!

So how bad can this little squirt be? He is not even 4 pounds and already given much CHASE to BELLA, our 5 month old kitty cat, who we just find out, upon arrival home from getting BOO, is SPOTTING and going into HER FIRST HEAT!!!

So I have an in-heat persian and a brand new boy chiuahuah. wow.
ANY IDEA WHAT IM IN FOR?
Any soultions to introducing the two animals?
Bella is twice his size, and swipes.
They seem to like eachothers food, too.

I am excited but also concerned because we don't want to start off on the wrong foot and scar these two babies for life!!!

badger
July 13th, 2007, 08:24 AM
As adorable and tiny as your new puppy is, training should begin immediately. When he hustles the cat, you tell him to 'leave it' and then distract him. Some of this will be sorted out between them, the cat will let puppy know just how far he can go, or hide, but it's your job to protect the cat in the early going and teach the pup what is and is not acceptable. The cat should always have a safe place where he can't get at her. Over time, they may even become quite friendly or at least respect each other's space.
Feed them separately or feed the cat high up and the dog on the floor. Cat food is not suitable for dogs. It's not a huge deal but best to set limits at the beginning.
I have no idea if the fact that your cat is in heat makes her more attractive to Boo but it would be a good idea to get her spayed right away. It will reduce the drama in your household and improve her chances of a long, healthy life.
Make sure kitty gets plenty of attention, her territory has been invaded and when a puppy is this young (and small), he is as much at risk from her as she is from him. Don't worry, things will settle down with the right guidance.

Hammermeister
July 13th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. We are learning slowly.

But they seem to have almost switched places today, the cat has started to pounce and wrap her paws around the dog from behind, the nights sleep was quite easy, but its become more of a fight between the two today.

Boo will poop on his spot mat but has problems peeing on it. And he pees about every three hours, on our carpets...

Ill keep this post up to date. :)

mummummum
July 13th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Yup, a spay for your cat would solve most of the sexualized behaviour and sparring problems :thumbs up and you could discuss an early neutering for your puppy at the same time :thumbs up :thumbs up