Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

can any1 give me tips to potty/ paper train my puppy?

swissd
July 12th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Can any1 give me a walkthro or tips on how you potty trained your puppy. Im kinda stumped... the only way we let it poop is outside but i wanna also train it to poo on paper inside

bendyfoot
July 12th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Is there a reason why you want it to go to the bathroom in the house? Why not train it to go exclusively outside? Much less mess to clean up!!!

swissd
July 12th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Is there a reason why you want it to go to the bathroom in the house? Why not train it to go exclusively outside? Much less mess to clean up!!!

well i just wanna do it so if it ever has to go inside it will... I havent quite been long enough with my puppy to know when it has to go to to the washroom becuase i let it out every hour and sometimes it takes a potty insdie

bendyfoot
July 12th, 2007, 09:53 PM
If you want your dog to go to the bathroom outside in the future, you have to only reinforce that behaviour...allowing it to pee/poo in the house, even on paper, is telling the dog that it's ok to do this.

From what you're saying, it sounds like you would prefer that the puppy NOT go in the house. Right? So... taking the pup out every hour is a great start. Also take him out after every meal, play session or nap. Try to get him on a schedule. Praise him like crazy when he goes to the bathroom outside where he's supposed to...I mean PRAISE HIM LIKE CRAZY!!! Make it the biggest party of his life. If he goes to the bathroom in the house AND YOU CATCH HIM IN THE ACT...tell him "NO" loudly and sternly, pick him up quickly and bring him straight outside to finish up. When he goes outside...:party: :party: :party: . If you find an accident in the house and you didn't see him do it, it's too late. Just clean it up with a good enzymatic cleaner to remove the smell.
Crate training can be very helpful too. Pups are not inclined to mess their crates/beds/dens. If pup is in the crate while he sleeps, or when you're out of the house, you'll be much more likely to find a clean house when you wake up/get back home.

It's important to remember that there WILL ALWAYS BE ACCIDENTS when you have a puppy, especially a young one. It takes time, patience and consistency to acheive good housetraining. Sometimes it can take months.

So don't allow or encourage the pup to go on papers in the house...this will send mixed messages and slow the training. Stick with it, buy lots of paper towel, and things will eventually get easier.

Edited to add: also, if you're not sure when puppy needs to go, there are a few things you can watch for: sniffing, circling or pawing at the floor...it can be subtle though, so keep a close eye... if you spot any of these behaviours, get him outside quick!!!