Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

can't leave my dog alone

jfroshaug
July 12th, 2007, 07:49 PM
everytime I leave my dog alone he starts howling and when I come back he has gotten into the garbage or wrecked something....what can I do to get him to stop?......he's a 2 year old german shepherd/husky/lab/ cross...I've only had him 2 months though.

bendyfoot
July 12th, 2007, 08:28 PM
You've got a dog with separation anxiety, from the sound of it...and this can get worse over time if not treated. I'd speak with a behaviourist with experience treating this kind of problem...it takes time and patience, but it is possible to work through this. Others here may have had some personal experience and may offer some suggestions on how to get started.

Dracko
July 13th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I agree...you need a "plan" to treat the separation anxiety. Dracko (GSD) suffered from it after I got him. I was against crating believing it was cruel and then it was explained to me that it teaches the dog "time out" when you are gone. That they are to relax and rest. We did it building up the time he was crated and it pretty much never eclipsed 3 hours. I actually only had to do this for a few months and then gradually left him out for short periods. Now 6 years later the only problem I would have is if I left out a garbage that had some meat in it. Otherwise, he does NOTHING bad when left alone.

Now no matter how long he is left alone in the house he just sleeps, watches out the window and I assume plays with the cats.

kigndano
July 13th, 2007, 08:48 AM
i have read a lot about this problem on line. and from what i have read so far it is simply a matter of introducing him to the crate slowly, and for short periods of time.

dont force him in there the first time (unless you HAVE to leave .. go to work etc). but even then it would be better to introduce him when you have time. Put some treats and toys in there and encourage him to walk in. dont close the door on him when he goes in the first time. after a couple times in close the door and stay there.

after a few more repetitions close the door and go out of sight to see how he acts. if he starts whining say something like "no!" or "quiet!" whatever you want to have the command be. ive also read that if he whines when you are in the room you can slap the cage to startle him (he should get the idea eventually).

slowly increase the amount of time you are gone, and when you come back to let him out make sure you tell him "good boy!" when he comes out to you. something i do is when i walk by the crate is to just randomly throw little bits of food in there, to continually reinforce the crate being a good place.

hope my advice helps!

im a dog newbie but cassius doesnt seem to mind his crate at all anymore.