Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Peeing when Excited

dmmontal
July 12th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Hi all,

First time posting on this lovely site! I wonder if someone might be able to offer some advice.

My family got a new Westie puppy a few weeks back. She was 9 weeks old when we got her and now she's about 14 weeks. We've been gradually housebreaking her, using a crate and trying to keep her on a schedule with her walks. She's gradually showing improvement, with one exception...she pees all over any time someone walks in the door. When I get home from work, she pees, when someone walks in the room after being out of sight for a few hours, she pees. Basically any time she is greeted by someone she gets really excited and it just starts coming out of her. She's not stopping to pee, it just drips out as she runs around wagging her tail. It seems to be completely separate from her going because she has to relieve herself. Even immediately after a walk where she seems to have completely emptied herself, if someone were to come in she would still get really excited and start peeing.

My family had another Westie years back who was about 13 when she died. She never showed any sort of behavior like this, even as a puppy. Is this behavior normal? Do you think it's something we can improve with training or do puppies grow out of this behavior (assuming it's common)?

LavenderRott
July 12th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Honestly - I think my first stop would be the vet to eliminate any health issues.

dmmontal
July 12th, 2007, 07:33 PM
She's been going to the vet regularly since we got her and everything seems to be fine. I don't know if my parents have specifically mentioned this behavior to the vet, but I do know that the vet has tested her urine several times since we've gotten her and everything has checked out.

LavenderRott
July 12th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Ok. Two more questions.

Where did you get the puppy?

And.....

What do you do when this happens?

dmmontal
July 12th, 2007, 07:46 PM
We got her from a very reputable Westie breeder with good credentials and a lot of experience.

Honestly we don't really do anything when she does this. We scold her if we catch her peeing on the floor normally, but in this case it seems like she can't really help it so we haven't really been reacting to it. Like I said it's not like she's stopping to pee, it just starts coming out of her when she gets excited.

That's part of the reason I'm posting here, because I'm trying to see if many puppies do this and grow out of it, or if it's something they need to be trained not to do anymore. Losing control of her bladder when she gets excited seems to me like something a mature dog might not do. But then again, I really don't know. Like I said our last Westie never did anything like this.

bendyfoot
July 12th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Honestly...this sounds a lot like normal submissive puppy peeing to me...a "polite" response from a puppy to an older, dominant dog is to urinate...it is a show of submission and deference... My own pup did a lot of this, sometimes accompanied by rolling over, or it would just piddle out of her as she came over, like yours.

We found that crouching down low to her height and speaking quietly to greet her helped a lot... imagine if you were only 10 inches of the ground and these huge animals towered over you...you'd feel pretty submissive too!!!

Whenever our pup did this type of pee (very different from a normal housebreaking accident, which is having a normal urination in an inappropriate place), we totally ignored it and simply took her outside with no song and dance, just did it very quietly. Then we would clean up the mess once she was out of sight. This way, you don't reinforce the behaviour with ANY kind of reaction. She's not misbehaving...in her mind she's being polite.

Now, if it was a housebreaking accident, and you catch her in the act, give her a sharp "NO", pick her up and take her outside to finish, then praise lavishly when she does it in the right place.

My guess...this will eventually stop and she will grow out of it. Our pup never pees submissively with humans anymore, but will, on the rare occasion when she's greeting our older dog (who she idolizes).

You're seeing normal puppy stuff.

LavenderRott
July 12th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Crystal is right.

Personally, I would take it a step further and not acknowledge the puppy at all when walking into a room. Give her a chance to settle down a bit before greeting her.

bendyfoot
July 12th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Good suggestion Sandy. I usually do try to aknowledge the humans in the house before the dogs...gives them time to settle as you say.

LLynch
July 12th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Hi,

This is my first time posting.
I wanted to share my solution with you for the peeing when exited.
I have a golden/labrador mix, she's 1 1/2 years old and she pees everytime
someone comes to the door, or up from the basement.

I have solved this problem by ignoring her for 5-10 minutes when i come in the door. Most of the time now, it only takes about 2-3 mins after i come home and she calms right down and lies down in her bed. As soon as she
does this , i call her over and say hello and pet her... no peeing!!!

I also ask any gests to do the same.
She has gone 6 months now without peeing so i made the mistake of thinking
she was "cured" and i reverted back to saying hello before she calms down
and , she peed.

I suggest you give it a try.
It's hard at first to ignore them, but try setting a timer, it works.

Good luck
I look forward to hearing how it's going

dmmontal
July 12th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Great suggestions, everyone! I'll definitely share your advice with my parents and we'll give it all a shot. I'm relieved that it's normal puppy behavior.

bendyfoot
July 12th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Let us know how it goes!:thumbs up

Frenchy
July 12th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Crystal is right.

Personally, I would take it a step further and not acknowledge the puppy at all when walking into a room. Give her a chance to settle down a bit before greeting her.

Yep , that's just it. My sister's golden did the same thing , and he would jump on you at the same time :yuck: pee all over..... but you just ignore the puppy, until she comes down. And tell everyone that comes to your house to do the same.

Ford Girl
July 13th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Dazy use to do this but now that I think about it she hasn't in a month or so? If you search this site I know this is something that has been posted a few times. :)

Corrie
July 19th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I have a 2 1/2 year old Wesite who did the same thing!
My Charlotte just got so excited when we came home, someone new came to the door or just about anything different happened that she peed on the floor!

We solved it by ingnoring her for 5 minutes when we came home, telling our frinds who came to our home not to speak to her till they were in the door and she was calm and in a sit. Didn't take her long at all to figure it out...she still has the VERY odd time that she has a little accident, but not very often at all.

It also gets much better with age...she is so much calmer now than she was as a puppy....Westie's are great dogs, but they are terriers for sure!!!