Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Instructions to keep your puppy in a kettle/ crate at night

swissd
July 12th, 2007, 05:27 PM
First: Once you obtain a place where it can sleep in find sometihng that will keep noise off off your head (most puppies whine and bark for the first few days) or put it some where you can't really hear it. REMEBER GET A KENNLE OR CRATE THAT WILL ONLY ALLOW THE PUPPY TO TURN AROUND DETAILS ARE AT BOTTOM WHY.

Second: At night get some sort of water bottle or water sack and place some warm water in it (it helps the puppy to think someones there with it). Optional- place a loud ticking clock so the puppy dosent have to sleep in complete silence which helps it out a bit.

Third: "important"! if it ever barks just ingore it or say NO! or BAD! it will usually stop if it listens to you.

After a few days the puppy should get use to its kennel or crate and it will be easier to put your puppy to sleep.

good stuff to know:
-is your puppy getting hard to train cause it isnt listeneing? Get a spray bottle to spray at your puppy if it does sometihng you dont want it to do (like bark or eating flowers etc.) It will almost instantly look and listen to you once you spray it. Just say no, bad, etc. and it will eventaully break its bad habits. ONLY WHEN NEEDED! try talking to it first and be gentle this approach comes last.

-try keeping the kennal/ crate reachable for the dog to go on its own so it can get used to it... try treating it and praising it when it goes to the crate/ kennel alone

-Remeber this a puppy will never pee or poo where it sleeps so getting a big enough kennel is crusial!!

COMMENT ON ANY INFORMATION LEFT OUT

LavenderRott
July 12th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Remeber this a puppy will never pee or poo where it sleeps so getting a big enough kennel is crusial!!

Hmmm.

Puppy mill puppies (those purchased from internet sources or pet shops) are raised in small cages filled with urine and feces so they have absolutely no problem sleeping in their own mess.

Also, while a spray bottle sits on my computer desk to discourage my ADULT dogs from barking their fool heads of at a knock at the door - I have never used one in reguards to training a young puppy. I prefer a more "hands on" approach - redirecting behaviour and such to teach positive actions.

A puppy simply isn't going to pay attention to you all the time. It is a fact of life. As a parent - I don't expect a 2 year old to pay attention to me every time I open my mouth either. Their attention span just isn't that long! :rolleyes: When your 2 year old child gets into something that it shouldn't - you go and get the child and give it something that it can have. Working with a young puppy works much the same way.

PetFriendly
July 12th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Hmmm. ...

I agree with your hmmm... Its not really as easy as that with all dogs. Some pups have never been in a confined space and need to be taught they will be safe there. To them, safe is wide open spaces where you can see in all direction and run if needed, can't do that in a crate.

Also, if a pup is barking or crying, perhaps they need to go out and piddle, doesn't matter if they were out a mere 20 minutes ago.

Introdcutions to crates take a long time. In essence, the OP is correct, and has the right general idea. DOn't let them out every time they bark, wait for the pup to calm down so that it learns that calm = open door. And if done correctly, your dog's crate will become its safe place, you'll be able to retire the door, and just keep it tucked in a corner of a busy room to offer your dog a place to nap in peace.