Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats are Adorable Animals, but Im fed Up and Need HELP!!!

maltesegirl
July 12th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Hi everyone. Okay so here is the situation that I need advice with. I live in a condo complex, bottom level, fairly large yard. I have two dogs, love cats, but am extremely extremely allergic. Obviously there is not a leash law concerning cats here in California. However, several of my neighbors let their cats roam free 24-7. It didnt bother me at first until an accumulation of several things:
1)There are several scratches on my car due to the owners not watching their animals
2)They jump my fence and leave hairballs in my yard...which give my pretty bad allergic reactions
3) They poop in my yard, which I am left cleaning rather than their owners
4)The eat my dogs food constantly! I am feeding other peoples animals more than my own!
5) I feel that when someone takes responsiblity for an animal...that is exactly what they should do...and I dont feel that my neighbors have done this....

The problem is that i dont even know which neighbors the cats belong to since i live in a condo complex...honestly, I guess I never thought about it but they could be strays....

Does anybody have any advice on how I should handle this situation?????
Thank you----cat owners, please do not take offense to this post....none is intended.

want4rain
July 12th, 2007, 05:02 PM
none taken! its dangerous to just let a cat roam free in a situation like that!

is there a no kill shelter or sanctuary in the area?

if the cats belong to someone they should have tags or be microchipped. see if you cant get your hands on a humane cat trap and start trapping them. if they are chipped, they will get returned to the owners, soemtimes there is a fee if there is a repeated catch, if there is no owner, address or microchip then they will be adopted to appropriate homes.

if you want to be kind about it, you could put up fliers saying that you plan on setting a humane trap for cats?

im not sure what your other options are because we never had to deal with that situation. its what i would do anyway. :)

good luck with it!

-ashley

maltesegirl
July 12th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Thats exactly what my sister told me to do! Only she said I should give a lee-way of a week on the flyer....saying....I am going to be setting up traps, however, I will give a week to allow oppurtunity for everyone to see the flyer....the next step I guess is seeing if my homeowners association will even allow me to put up such flyers.

krdahmer
July 12th, 2007, 05:42 PM
That sounds like a good plan. Be sure you have a no kill shelter to take these kitties to first. And perhaps you could go to the condo group with your concerns. Also see if any of the local rescue groups are fighting for area cats to have tags/ be registered or be leashed and join the cause.
I have 6 cats and agree that cats should not roam free, not only because of the havoc they can cause in a neighbourhood to people and property but mainly because it would be safer for them and maybe cut down on the out of control feral populations in most areas. They should have all the same regulations and rules that dogs do.

CyberKitten
July 12th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I would add the proviso that you find a shelter or rescue group that is not a kill shelter. You do not awnt to trap these kitties only to discover they'll be dead ion 72 hours. Please remember that while I know they are causing you suffering, it is not their fault. It IS the fault of their irresponsible "owners" I personally have four cats - none of whom go outside except on a leash or with me in the back yard which is fenced in and inaccessible . Cat "owners" need to know that cats who roam face all kinds of danger - including cars, dangerous people who will hurt them, bouchers who sell cats and dogs and rabbits who somehow get out of their home to labs (!!!) and other not so nice situations.

I would talk to the people who own the cats and explain to them that you have serious allergies and ask them politely to pick up after their animals and also how dangerous it is for the cats that they are allowed to roam free. If that does not work, then I would explain that it is legal (check to make sure it is) to trap cats if they are on your property and that you plan to do this and surrender them to a no kill rescue if they end up in your humane trap.

(By the sound of it, trapping them and finding them new people may be a good thing if they are roaming everywhere! Clearly, these people are not very responsible and the cats are not well cared for!)

Good luck!! Do you take medication for your allergies? Are they seasonal or are they connected with asthma and more dangerous to you? You should explain all of that to your neighbours as well.

Frenchy
July 12th, 2007, 09:14 PM
if you want to be kind about it, you could put up fliers saying that you plan on setting a humane trap for cats?

That's what I was about to post. :thumbs up

maltesegirl
July 13th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Well I have probably 200+ neighbors...I really have no idea who the cat belongs to so that is why I havent spoke to them directly. I have six shots a week for my allergies and am on oral medication. So I am planning on contacting the shelters around here to find a no kill as well as posting a flyer that says what my plans are....I will give the owners one week before I start trapping to give them a chance to get their cats accustom to being in the home more often! I think it my be this one neighbor though....she actually has a doggie door on her front door...so her cat can roam the neighborhood whenever it would like! ????????

heidiho
July 13th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Well they all have to check their mail,.so i would for sure put a flier by the mailboxes..And put them on the cars there to.

want4rain
July 13th, 2007, 05:07 PM
oh and i should also say there are usually other folks who are willing to trap for you so you shouldnt be have to even handle them at all.

-ashley