Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hurt tail; help!

kathryn
July 12th, 2007, 02:19 PM
right so maxwell (the russian blue) is always picking at his ears so I have some ear drops from the vets and put them in when he itches at them. right he hates it though, like most animals.

anyways i did what I normally do and squatted over him and held his head. I put in a drop and he freaked out and ended up bending his tail the wrong way.

i think its sprained or something because as soon as he calmed down from being mad over the ear dropps I went over felt it and it is stil clearly attached nad not broken to anything, no blood, no anything. i pinched the end of his tail and he meowed so i know its obviously still working. he can move it but he doesn't want to put it up in the air.

alll the time his tail is up in the air. straight up. he does not put his tail down.

now its down and his twitching his muscles a bit.

i can move it but it is uncomfortable to him.

so i think he really pulled a muscle or something. my mom wants to wait untill tommorow to see if he's just pissed off or if something is wrong.

is that okay? because i do not think he broke anything and is fine except for hes just letting it hang down. he can move it a little up though.

help me out. i feel bad because this was sort of my fault but I wasn't expecting him to freak out THIS much, usually he just digs his nails into my leg and then its over and done with.

is there anything I can do at home or wait and then take him to the vets soon? and what if its broken? i am 99% certain he just hurt the muscles but how would you even repair a broken tail?

put ice on it or leave him alone? what do I do? do you think hes just angry?

Dr Lee
July 12th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Don't blame yourself, these things happen frequently. From what you are describing sprain is likely the cause and as such should be back to normal in a day or two. If it was broken, often time is a common treatment.

If his tail is not better tomorrow then a trip to the veterinarian for some pain medication and evaluation is recommended. Do NOT give any over the counter pain medications to your cat!

Good luck:pawprint:

kathryn
July 12th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I still feel bad cause his tail is uncomfortable :( hes cuddling me right now though and doesnt seem to be mad cause he knows it was an accident.

And I know that aceto... whatever it is, Tylenol and stuff is poisionus to cats.

I think he disloctated a tail bone though. I do not know much of cat anotomoy though. but one of the bone things in his tail is a bit swollen and out of place, but not enough to where I would call it broken, more like sprained muscle and dislocated tail bone.

he's already moving it more but its still uncomfortable to him and if it gets worse overnight or something my mom taking him to the vets to get it xrayed and examined.

maybe once he goes to bed for the night and lets it rest he will feel better.. i hope. im so sad that i hurt my kitties tail :(

Dr Lee
July 12th, 2007, 06:48 PM
The vets can give him pain medication and let you know what is going on!

Let us know how it goes:pawprint:

krdahmer
July 12th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Don't worry he's already forgiven you. Cats are great that way. I know I picked Fagan up the wrong way and caused his knee to go out, and I felt like such an ass knowing how delicate his knee was to start with, but accidents happen. I've stepped on tails, paws, accidentally kicked one in the face when I was putting my feet up on the couch.... as long as they get lots of I'm so sorry's and loads of snuggles they know not to take it personally.

If it were me, I would take a trip to the vets anyhow just to make sure its just a sprain. Hopefully it'll will heal quickly on its own. :goodvibes:

kathryn
July 12th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Okay. I've hurt my cats before, accidently of course. I once was going up the stairs and kicked kasey in the face cause he didnt move fast enough :(

he's moving it a bit more so i think im going to give him the weekend instead to heal his tail and make an appointment for monday so my mom will have money by then to pay for the bill. my vet isnt that expensive though so even if he has to xray i got 3 done for socks when she was pregnant for like 45 dollars alltogether I think. so i call that a good deal.

he's napping now and isnt crying anymore and my mom checked it out and he didnt scream like he did earlier but shes sad too but she told me not to worry about it they she'll get him to the vet and get him better... so i think im okay. still feel kind of bad.

kathryn
July 24th, 2007, 09:40 AM
It's been a little while since I updated this board, but I took maxwell to the vets and he said its dislocated, and he popped it back in place and said theres nothing else to do other then let it heal. so yay, hes okay now. and we got meds for his ears and had them cleaned.

krdahmer
July 24th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Glad to hear it wasn't broken. :goodvibes: