Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toronto vets/aural hematoma

wenchy
July 12th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Firstly, my dog has an aural hematoma in his one ear ( occured while his minor ear infection was being treated ). My current vet is quoting me 1100 total for the surgery itself. I'm fairly new to Canada from the US and my regular TX vet told me it should cost roughly 350-500 total. Is there any reason for prices to be hovering in the 1k range for this proceedure here versus back home? I do not mind having to pay but I feel like my vet has been raping my wallet over what appears to be a relatively minor proceedure ( I was quoted another 400 total for post care - weekly visits / removal of tube /etc.)

Any thoughts?

( also my dog is a male 10 yr old shepherd/mix )

Dr Lee
July 12th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Demographics can certainly be a large factor. If you think it is purely demographics - get a second quote. The price that another toronto vet gives you may answer that question.

Also every surgery is very dependent upon the patient and the disease. I just performed two pyometra surgeries this month. One was TWICE the price of the other. Same sized dog, same age, same disease. Totally different prices. It had to do with the severity of the disease and the status of the pet.

Some recommendations: Perhaps ask your vet if there are any items which may be optional and if this is a more extensive hematoma than usual.

Hope that helps. :pawprint:

coppperbelle
July 12th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I can't tell you what the surgery would cost today but a number of years ago I paid $150.00 for the surgery.

Last week one of our foster dogs had a hematoma drained. Frenchy should be able to tell you how much it cost at her vet here in the MOntreal area.

Dr Lee
July 12th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I have drained them for $150 or less but for extensive aural hematomas with preop blood work, iv catheter, monitoring, anesthesia, surgical correction, ear canal therapeutic flushing, ear swab cytology, intra and post operative pain medication and antibiotics and ear medication to go home, overnight stay, etc... I have had them at 400-1000. If there was higher risk conditions where pre-op ECG or chest radiographs were needed, it could be more.

Surgical correction typically includes opening up the hematoma, debulking the fibrin to help minimize deformation of the ear and placement of either sutures or a number of various surgical devices to help prevent reformation. This is often time consuming surgically on large dogs with extensive hematomas.

Hope this helps.:pawprint:

mummummum
July 13th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Vet prices in Toronto are a little all over the map and as someone quite rightly pointed out, if you are a careful consumer you do get what you pay for wenchy. Given the amount of detail Dr lee has provided maybe the best bet is to put together a shopping list of what needs to be done and call around to the Vet clinics in your vicinity. I know my Vet is comparatively expensive but I am paying for quality service and availability.