Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

7 month newfie not able to housebreak yet!!!!!

babalina
July 12th, 2007, 11:04 AM
just bought a 7 months newfie and I have had her for a week and half. I have had dogs before and successfully housebroke them. The lady that I bought the dog from never house broke this puppy. So far, I have brought the dog out every hour when I am home and keep her in my bedroom at night. She keeps doing it inside the house when I am not watching and in the bedroom. she never indicates to me that she needs to go *before* pooping. It is really beginning to wear me out. After pooping in the house, I show the dog the poop, yell at it, then immediately bring it outside each and every time. Please help me, I am beginning to lose hope!!!!

babalina
July 12th, 2007, 11:09 AM
p.s.

And by the way, I take her out at 9PM, 11 PM, 1AM 3AM last night and she still did it in the bedroom. If I put her in the crate, she barks all night.

Frenchy
July 12th, 2007, 11:19 AM
I show the dog the poop, yell at it,

You're kidding me right ? Haven't you heard about positive reinforcement ?

First of all , you're never going to get anything by yelling at a dog.
Second of all, you think this can be done within a week ? It can take weeks / months to house break a dog. It is not the dog's fault if nobody took the time to show him how to be clean in the house.

You must give him lots of exercise everytime you bring him outside, wait until he pees/poops , tell him how a good boy he is , maybe give him a treat. But don't scream at him.

babalina
July 12th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Thank you for posting your reply.

does anyone have any suggestions on what to do at night? she will never housetrain if she is allowed to keep peeing and pooping at night while I am asleep. This is the biggest dilemna at this point

Frenchy
July 12th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Just before you go to bed , take your dog outside but make sure he pees and poops before going back in. So that could mean you'll have to go outside with him, and make him walk or play until he does his business. Do you have a crate where you could put him at night ? And remember , crates are suppose to be a happy place for a dog , it's not a place to put him because he just pooped in your house. You can do this but it takes patience and understanding on YOUR part. Good luck ! :fingerscr

sugarcatmom
July 12th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Please please please read this article on housetraining: http://www.dogstardaily.com/article/housetraining Yelling at your dog for soiling in the house was just about the worst thing you could have done. All it did was teach her not to eliminate in front of you, which is probably one reason why she isn't giving you any signals when she does have to go. I would also suggest that she needs some positive retraining in the crate department. Here's some info that might help:

A Special Place

Dogs are den animals, and they value their own special place — a place for peaceful retreat, a methodical chew, or even a snooze. A doggy den (a collapsible and portable dog crate and dog bed) is an ideal training tool. Apart from its obvious uses for transporting dogs by car or plane, a crate may be used for short-term confinement when you cannot supervise your puppydog—to keep him out of mischief and prevent him from making housesoiling, destructive chewing, and digging mistakes. In addition, the crate may be used specifically to create good household habits: to housetrain your puppydog; to establish a hard-to-break chewtoy habit; to reduce excessive barking; to prevent inappropriate digging; and to foster confidence and calmness.

Right from the outset, when you are home, regularly confine your pup for "little quiet moments" in his dog crate in order to teach household manners and imbue confidence. Then your dog can look forward to enjoying a lifetime with the full run of your house, whether you are home or not.

Teach Your Puppydog to Enjoy His Doggy Den

A dog crate is really no different than a child's crib, playpen, or bedroom. The first item on the agenda is to teach your puppydog to thoroughly enjoy spending time in his doggy den. Stuff your puppy's first meal into a hollow chewtoy (see our Chewing blueprint), tie the chewtoy inside the crate, and leave the door open so the pup may come and go as he pleases. Praise your puppy while he chews the chewtoy and supervise the puppy if he leaves the crate. Once the pup has settled down for a quiet chew, you may close the crate door. For your pup's second meal, put the stuffed chewtoys inside the crate and shut the door with the puppy on the outside. Once your puppy worries at the crate to get to his dinner, let the puppy enter his crate and close the door behind him. From now on, always give your puppy a stuffed chewtoy when confining him to his crate.
Your pup will soon learn that confinement is for a short time—and an enjoyable time.

Maybe take a look around the rest of this website: http://www.dogstardaily.com/ and this one:http://www.openpaw.org/Pet_Basics/basics.html for lots of other tips on training and socializing your dog.

swissd
July 12th, 2007, 05:17 PM
p.s.

If I put her in the crate, she barks all night.

usually putting ur puppy in your bedroom is the last hope... To teach yor dog to sleep at night independentaly keep the crate somewhere were you desire and if dog barks either say "no!" or ignore it... For my puppy it took about 2 days but to have noticable results keep a warm water bottle or osmthing like that and put it in the crate... it really helps. You can also put a clock which ticks loud (you know the noise it makes every second). Remeber! Only get a crate/ kennel big enough so the puppy can make a almost tight circle. If the dog sleeps in a satisfiying place it should'nt poop or pee where it sleeps.

This should help you :party:

Dogastrophe
July 12th, 2007, 05:18 PM
House training a dog, regardless of age, requires only two things: consistency and patience (sometimes with older dogs, it will take a lot of patience).

Consistency: take your pup out often - first thing in the morning, right after eating, after playing, after prolonged sleeping, before bed, etc. Take a few treats with you, put pup on a leash and head for the yard. Stand in one area and let pup sniff around. You can use commands such as "go potty" or "be quick". When pup does it's business, praise and give a treat. Then go back inside.

When you go out for a potty trip, don't play with her, don't wander around the yard, etc. After a few times, you pup will learn that she is to go to the bathroom when out. If you want to play in the yard with her, go back inside for a few mins, then go back out and start to play (this is a preference I have, others want their pups to play/exercise which is also fine. Regardless, you want to be there when she goes so you can praise her).

If she is only going when you are not around to catch her, then you are giving her too much freedom in the house. She hasn't earned the right to roam unsupervised. If you are home with her all day, hook a leash to her and tie it to your belt. Keep an eye on her and get a sense of her body language. Does she do anything different just before she pees on your feet? Learn to read her signs and act prior to the event.

Some people have had great success using a bell on the door. Before each potty trip you ring the bell and go outside. The bell only gets used when going out for bathroom trips. Depending on your pup, she may over time, learn to ring the bell herself letting you know that she needs to go out.

Patience: don't yell at her, don't stick her nose in it, don't create any negative association. If you do not catch her in the act, don't yell at her - she will not associate your yelling with her taking a leak on your couch ... only that you are yelling at her for the last thing that she did (which may be coming toward you to see how you're doing). Clean up the mess and take her outside. If you do catch her in the act, a very sharp "stop" or "no" immediately followed by taking her outside will generally work. You have to remember that this pup has been peeing in the house for 7 months. To her this is the normal place to go. Its only been the last couple of weeks that this has become an abnormal place.

When we adopted our yorkie x he was 5 1/2 mos old and not house trained. He would look us in the eye and pee on the floor. It took us about 6 months to get him to around 80% trained and another 6 mos to get as close to 100% as possible. It was very frustrating but worth it in the long run.

mummummum
July 14th, 2007, 02:19 AM
You've had excellent advice and I can only add a few things.

You have had your dog for a week and a half. Your dog has had seven months of being able to go where ever it could or had to go ( I would say "want to go" but I'l bet dollars to doughnuts this came from a puppy mill or a BYB).

You have had your dog for a week and a half. New environment. New food. New rules. New people and worse people who yell things she doesn't understand.

Please be gentle ~ I know you are frustrated but this is a baby. You will get nowhere you want to be by yelling and being impatient. Follow all the advice you've been given calmy and lovingly and be patient with the mistakes. If you can't dpo this with housetraining then where will you be with obedience training ~ be gentle with your dog and yourself.

babalina
August 2nd, 2007, 11:16 AM
Hi everyone

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to reply to my note, about zsa zsa, my newfie dog. I have had her for a month now, and she is doing much better about the house training. She holds it in all night and sleeps in my bedroom and the only accidents I have had was right after she got spayed, of course, from the trauma of the surgery. I have pretty much followed everyone's advise very carefully, and have had success. I would say about 80-90%, since I still have to watch her carefully and keep letting her out often. I have also had a roommate move in exchange for dog sitting during the day (she is home all day) and this has help me tremendously, and the roommate will be until October.:dog:

She gets up and licks my hand in the morning to wake me up so she can go outside.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Frenchy
August 2nd, 2007, 11:20 AM
I'm glad it's going better ! :thumbs up

So now you will have more time to post pictures of this dog ..... :pray: