Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

angry mother, kitten scared!:(

coryy
July 12th, 2007, 02:39 AM
My cat keeps hissing and growling at her kitten(only have 1) and it's starting to scare me. Last night I had to force her down while the kitten drank her milk and today she isn't allowing her near her!

At first I assumed it was because she was getting here teeth in(only 4 weeks old) and she might not be used to them and have bit the mom by accident or maybe mom was getting jealous of all the attention the kitten was getting but now I feel as though I can't sit back and do nothing. Please help!!!!

BTW I only forced her down because she wouldn't allow the kitten near the wet food although when mom is away the kitten will eat but I didn't think she was getting enough so I did what I did.

....also I'm not totally sure as they sleep when I sleep but when I woke up they were sleeping in seperate spots from each other, the mom was so loving at first what happened?:confused:

mummummum
July 12th, 2007, 02:57 AM
I'm sure one of our "Cat People" will be along to help you soon (and I'm not one of them unfortunately) but I would strongly recommend that you keep them in separate rooms and look at alternative feeding arrangements as your Mama Cat could seriously injure or kill the kitten.

coryy
July 12th, 2007, 03:13 AM
I haven't seen the cat get phisical yet just vocal, it does seem as though she is in heat, could this have something to do with it?

a lil background info: My cat was a stray in the rain when we took her in and was really small, not kitten small just small. The kitten is 4 weeks old and for the first couple weeks we left the cat alone with her kitten and just recently brought the two out into the open. For the first couple days everything was fine but now it's like she is disowning her. Right before I brought them out the mother was very aggressive, attacking my brother mostly and breaking the skin with her teeth!

mummummum
July 12th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Well since you are going to take your Mama cat to the Vet for spaying anyway maybe you want to bring her in this week.

But I would still separate the two. Hissing ans spitting is a BIG warning in my books and I know I couldn't live with myself if something happened to the kitten. You might want to ask your brother what he was doing to provoke the Mama into biting...

TeriM
July 12th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Yep, I agree with the others. Apparently it is quite common for new momma cats to go into heat again very soon after having kittens so this could definately have something to do with it. I'm also inclined to think that perhaps mama is weaning the baby? Unfortunately I am also not a cat expert but I would probably not leave the two together while unattended.

Definately do not force the mama cat to feed the baby! If the baby is eating real food then go with that and ask your vet if an extra supplement is recommended.

coryy
July 12th, 2007, 03:37 AM
I wish you could meet my brother, if he did something to the cat he would've told me.! The cat was extremly deffensive, it would stare at our feet just itching to pounce and did randomly on all of us but for some reason chased my brother around the house. He's 25 so i dought he did anything childish like pick it up wrong or anythng.

Now it's all nice like, probably in heat! and as for the spaying, trust me if I had the money I would.

TeriM
July 12th, 2007, 03:48 AM
You really need to beg or borrow for the spay surgery for both mama and the new kitten (assuming you are keeping). The kitten could come into heat any time after about 4 months so definately we don't need any more kittens looking for homes while so many are unable to find homes :sad: .

rainbow
July 12th, 2007, 03:50 AM
As Teri said, do not force the momma cat to feed her baby and ask your vet for advice on feeding the little one. Also, I would consider borrowing the money from a relative or friend and get your cat spayed asap.

coryy
July 12th, 2007, 04:02 AM
To be honest, my dad regrets bringing the first cat home and now has two! I have always been the main caregiver for the cat(s) and i'm broke, I hate it! I wish my brothers would chip in!

Thanks for the help so far.

rainbow
July 12th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Why don't you ask your brothers for some help. :o

Rottielover
July 12th, 2007, 08:02 AM
If she is not allowing the kitten to nurse all of a sudden, and is getting physical with it, sounds like she is in pain...She may have an infection which has to be seen ASAP. Talk to your vet about making pay arrangements. She needs to be seen

sugarcatmom
July 12th, 2007, 08:18 AM
And after you have momma cat checked out, take a look at this website for links to spay/neuter subsidy programs: http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html Not sure where you live (that site is for the U.S.), but I'm sure you could do a similar search for your area.

CyberKitten
July 12th, 2007, 01:59 PM
If her kitten is a female, she may see her as competition if she is in heat. please spay asap!!!!! That is crucial - the earlier you spay, the better health a cat will have and if you want these cats to live together in harmony, you will have to spay! It is also possible - since cats detect one another by smell that the kitten (I hope these cats are not allowed outside - that's a recipe for disaster!- do you really want more kittens? Or worse, injured cats Or even worse?) was sprayed by something or somehow attained another kind of smell. But it may well just be that se is in heat. (Unless the kitten is older - 3-4 months), there is no good reason for mama to be nasty to her. I would take her and bottle feed her - do you have KMR for the kitten or is she weaned yet?

But you really Have to have them spayed!!! If your day brought mama home, he bears more than some responsibility and has to help in paying for the spay! Alternatively, you could sell something or have a yard sale or raise money somehow but it has to happen!!! You could even ask the vet for a payment plan but please get your kitties to the vet!