Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Centrum - Mult Vit/Minerals

SparklingSparky
July 12th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Anyone feed Centrum - supplement for multi vitamins/minerals to their dogs ?

the sandman
July 12th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Hi, I think I read somewhere that dogs and humans have different vitamin needs and I wouldn't give anything human to dogs such as vitamins or medicine. If he is eating a good dog food he shouldn't need extra vitamins. It's already in the food.

SparklingSparky
July 12th, 2007, 01:05 AM
I have studied the ingredients, it suit dogs.

My friend's vet recommand this to her dogs and they are eating now.

I am not feeding commerical dog foods thats why i need to have multi-vit/minerals supplement.

Human grade of supplement is much reliable then pet form of supplement.

mummummum
July 12th, 2007, 01:11 AM
:confused: So what are you feeding then that you need to supplement with a proprietary vitamin ?

rainbow
July 12th, 2007, 02:10 AM
I wouldn't give a product such as Centrum, which is made for humans, to a dog. Their metabolism is different than a humans and the amount of vitamins/minerals could be inappropriate.

Dracko
July 12th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't give Centrum to humans let alone dogs. If you want to give your dog a human one at least choose an all natural one from a health food store.

rainbow
July 12th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I still wouldn't give a human one, "natural" or not, as the amount of vitamins/minerals may still not be appropriate. Compare the labels of a human multi-vitamin/mineral product and a pet one first. :pawprint:

OC_Spirit
July 12th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Actually a lot fo the time the ones that are "tailored" to dogs are the exact same thing as the humans ones, the only difference being a jacked up price ;) And if you look at who the "professionals" are who are telling you otherwise often it is the company that makes the dog supplements or vets that have been paid off to endorse a certain company (like how many vets are paid off to endorse Hills Science Diet regardless of the fact that it is a crap food). Of course the dosage will be different from human to dog especially if you have a smaller dog and it is up to you to figure out what is the proper dosage.

Right now the supplements I am giving my dogs are Webbers Natural Glucosomine and Chondroitin Sulfate as well as Webbers Natural Wild Salmon and Fish Oil Capsules. The dogs are doing great on them!!! Well, the improvemnts that I can see are from the fish oil, the glucosomine has no obvious changes because niether of my dogs have HD. It is a preventative for arthiritis and dip and elbow dysplasia since I do dogsledding and weight pulling with my two.

mummummum
July 12th, 2007, 12:38 PM
And those are all great OC but it's not in the same league as a multi-vitamin. If you providing an animal with proper nutrition multi-vitamins shouldn't be necessary whereas with something like Gluc/MSM/Chndtrn you can't access that in a regular diet, homemade, kibble or otherwise. So, I'd still be interested in hearing what she is feeding her animals.

kiara
July 12th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Some human medications are o.k. to be used on cats and dogs. If your vet feels that your dog needs vitamin supplements, then you can buy the kind that is best suited for your dog.

rainbow
July 13th, 2007, 06:16 PM
And those are all great OC but it's not in the same league as a multi-vitamin. If you providing an animal with proper nutrition multi-vitamins shouldn't be necessary whereas with something like Gluc/MSM/Chndtrn you can't access that in a regular diet, homemade, kibble or otherwise. So, I'd still be interested in hearing what she is feeding her animals.

I agree. :)

MX3....the OP is feeding homemade:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42281

mummummum
July 14th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Thanks for all the replies.
His daily meat is made of cooked meat, veg and little rice.

Yes, i have done lot of research. :)

Respectfully, if you feel the need to supplement with a multivitamin then I would say you have not done enough research on proper canine nutrition and encourage you do two things:

1/Have your Vet do a complete CBC and chem screen on your dog so you can see EXACTLY where your dog stands health AND nutrition wise. You could well be doing far more physical harm than good by feeding your dog a homecooked meal that is too high/ too low in the essentials and supplementing on top of that with a vitamin.
2/Switch to a high quality holistic kibble until you have read every single book and article you can find on canine nutrition AND find an on-line forum or personal mentor who can guide you in nutrition.

A home cooked meal that is completely unplanned and uncharted for nutrition is "table scraps" in my book. Supplementing that with a human multivitamin in the hopes that you will make up the difference means you are likely doing more long-term organ damage than good for your dog. Using a human multivitamin by the way will literally be "wasted" (pee'd out) as most of it's contents will not spend enough time in your dog's digestive system to be absorbed (a dog's system is much shorter and therefore faster than a human's)

Yes, I am being firm about this ~ but only because it's something I know and care deeply about ~ please reconsider your approach.

shannonxj
July 16th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I give my dog Osteo-Form 500 tablets. Its a good one. Trust me. It was unrecommended to me by my friend from http://www.petsupplyonlinestore.com . Centrum by the way is for human, but i heard that centrum is also fed to cockfighting roosters but i never heard centrum for dogs.:thumbs up

syrinx
July 21st, 2007, 11:03 AM
I still wouldn't give a human one, "natural" or not, as the amount of vitamins/minerals may still not be appropriate. Compare the labels of a human multi-vitamin/mineral product and a pet one first. :pawprint:

A good example of this is the Royal Canin recall with specific veterinary diets, where a supplier had given the manufacturer a multivitamin mix that was for a larger animal. As Vitamin D is one that has upper limits for pets, it became a serious enough issue for them to have to recall the food this was in.
http://reliablepetfoodrecallinfo.blogspot.com/

If you want to use a human multivitamin, the NRC has come out with a new list for both cats and dogs. The cat upper daily limits can be found at http://recommendeddailyallowances.blogspot.com/, but I am not sure where you can find ones for dogs.

Pat and all the boys.
http://felinenutritionalnotes.blogspot.com/