Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat behavior

2catfamily
July 11th, 2007, 08:57 PM
hi ya! although I have had cats previous, I had not had a female before- so when my 8 week old Angel proved to be quite skittish about the outdoors we did not hurry to have her spayed. Unfortunately the first time she went into heat she ran off overnight and came home pregnant! Now my worry is with my male cat who is also approx 1yr and a bit. We did have him fixed at 6mos. Buffy was a rescued field kitten and had been fending for himself- as a result he would not stay in and is a great hunter. Buffy brings a mouse for us and has one to himself daily. Both cats got on well till this past we when Buffy has been very aggressive to the very round angel and I'm afraid he may harm her young kittens -as in - make a meal out of them. should I be worried???:stork-baby:

heidiho
July 11th, 2007, 09:43 PM
:confused: Are you kidding,because she seemed afraid to go outside you didnt have her spayed????? :yell: :yell: Sorry i have no answer for you,but really after that supposed incident what do you think??Do you really need to come here to ask??

badger
July 11th, 2007, 10:40 PM
That's the problem, even an female cat who stays indoors, when she's in heat all bets are off. Far far better to spay, for so many reasons.
You'll have to keep a sharp eye on the male. I would confine her in a part of the house where he doesn't go. Now that she is preggers :sad: her smell will be different, something as simple as that could affect the relationship. Anyway, don't forget that she will go into heat almost immediately after the birth. Please don't make the same mistake twice.

marko
July 13th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Are you kidding,because she seemed afraid to go outside you didnt have her spayed????? Sorry i have no answer for you,but really after that supposed incident what do you think??Do you really need to come here to ask??

Sorry for calling you out on rudeness (again) Heidiho...but this is flat out rudeness that we are trying to get rid of. I'm sure that you, like me - did NOT know what you know now. You too were a newbie once.

Your answer does not contribute 1 bit...except to have the OP contact me personally and ask to be removed from our board because of your post in particular.

Although we all (myself included) hate hearing of cats and dogs getting preggers by accident...it happens and will continue to happen. We can educate on a one by one basis and that helps some people. Being rude NEVER helps. NEVER EVER.

(Please DO NOT respond to the rudeness issue in this thread - as always PM me if you need to)

Now back to the Op's question....Thanks badger!

bendyfoot
July 13th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I would probably confine the female to her own room once she's given birth and keep the male away completely until the kittens are much older, to be safe. Sometimes even very docile pets can act out when another household pet gives birth...I've heard of incidents where dogs AND cats have killed/eaten the new litter in the house. So better safe than sorry...keep them isolated from each other (so, make sure she has all her own litter box, food/water bowls, etc. etc.).
Make sure you have a 24-hour emerg. vet phone number handy and a way to get to the clinic if something goes wrong during the birth (things don't always go perfectly). Ask your vet about what signs to watch for that can indicate distress/birthing problems and keep close watch as things progress.
And be sure to have her spayed asap...

Love4himies
July 13th, 2007, 12:18 PM
bendyfoot gives very good advice. I agree the mom and babies must be kept safe in a closed room. Angel smells very different to Buffy, making Buffy feel somewhat unsure of her.

Also, keeping her in a room away from Buffy will give her the sense of security she will need to mother these kittens well.

Bring her in for a vet check up and ask him/her to be on call when she goes into labour. Some vets charge a small fee for this service (on call even if not called), but is best for mom and babies.