Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Online cat crusaders save pets from Chinese chefs

Cathy1
July 11th, 2007, 04:41 PM
More than 800 cats were spared futures as feline meatballs destined for Chinese dinner tables, a newspaper reported Tuesday, after animal rescuers raised enough money to buy back the entire truckload of cats in a span of hours.

CBC News
The China Daily newspaper said a well-known cat crusader from Shanghai, Duo Zirong, alerted police to halt the delivery on Friday as the shipment was en route to a slaughterhouse in Guangdong province.

Cat meat is a delicacy in the province and can be sold at 15 yuan ($2.08 Cdn) per kilogram.

Duo, along with her band of rescuers, blocked the truck in a parking lot in a Shanghai suburb for hours. Meanwhile, other activists mobilized support online, asking fellow cat lovers to donate funds to save them.

Prominent cat rescuer Huo Puyang, Duo's mother-in-law, said the cat dealers showed police "obviously forged" vaccination and inspection papers, indicating they were from a farm in Anhui province. She said the cats were in fact taken from the streets, and many were owned by Duo.

"The police believed them and would not allow anybody to take the cats, which were 'private property,' unless we paid," Huo said.

Several hours later, the group was able to pool together 10,000 yuan ($1,377.87 Cdn) - enough to buy all the cats. The group plans to set up a cat gallery on an adoption website and find new homes for the animals.

With files from the Associated Press

NoahGrey
July 11th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks for this Cathy. I happy to hear that the cats were saved. I won't get into how I feel about China and other countries who sell cats/dogs for meat.:mad:

ACO22

Barbrarz
July 26th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Do you happen to have a website for the article about the Cats in China. I would really like to read this article.

Thank you,
Barbra

chico2
July 26th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Cathy,although this is probably only a drop in the bucket,it is a great drop:thumbs up
I hope all the Oympians bring their own food to China,I don't even eat Chinese food here in Canada....:yuck:

NoahGrey
July 28th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Chinese food here in Canada is not the same as in China.

ACO22

chico2
July 28th, 2007, 07:28 AM
ACO22,I know that,hopefully we are right,I just have a GREAT aversion to anything Chinese.:evil:
In Toronto most of the restaurants that were closed down(temporarly)because of unsanitary conditions were Chinese or other Asian origin.

Also some were found to serve "special"orders to"special"customers...
I am a little paranoid maybe(hubby says:laughing: ),but after all I've read about China and their ways over the years,Chinese has become a 4-letter word for me,sorry!

NoahGrey
July 28th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Hi Chico2,

Actually let me revease what I said. I remembered a Toronto Chinese resturant that was closed down because when the health depart came through, They found about 30-60 frozen cats in the freezer. This was a couple of years ago.

ACO22

chico2
July 28th, 2007, 07:56 AM
I was going to write that,but I was not 100% sure about it,don't want to be accused of racism or slander.
Old habits die hard and I am sure we only know of some of it,unfortunately:mad:

Love4himies
July 28th, 2007, 08:27 AM
I heard rumours that they ate cats:eek: , but did not believe it.

NoahGrey
July 28th, 2007, 12:27 PM
I heard rumours that they ate cats:eek: , but did not believe it.

In China, they have cat and dog markets. It's true. Disgusting...but sadly..true.

ACO22