Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog and Cat In Same House...

quidditchfan
July 11th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I have a GSD/Beagle Cross who is about 18 months old and we have recently moved into a house with a cat. The GSD is absolutely OBSESSED with the cat and will sit and stare at it for hours at a time. Does anyone have any suggestions to how I can train the dog to ignore the cat? Most of the time the GSD sits quietly and stares at the cat but when the cat moves the GSD gets excited and barks in a very high pitched way which sets the cat off and then we have a riot. The cat is a permanent resident as is the GSD and I simply need some suggestions on how to work with this issue. Thanks in advance to anyone with suggestions. Also, as a side note the GSD is a spayed female.

sugarcatmom
July 11th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Maybe this PDF has some info that can help you: http://www.labadoption.org/linkpages/DogBehave/Articles/Cats.pdf

A GSD/beagle cross, you say. That sounds like an interesting combo, have any pics?

PetFriendly
July 11th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Has the dog gotten a chance to get close to the cat? She might just be curious. Once the novelty wears off, she'll leave it alone. Also, if you stop fussing about her fussing on the cat, it might help.

Dracko
July 12th, 2007, 12:28 AM
I can't give the step-by-step on how to make it work out but given your dog seems to like the cat and is excited that is a good thing! I have a GSD and 3 cats. Dracko still gets excited by them at times but they put him in his place. It will take your dog, esp given he is only a puppy, time to calm down. You have to learn how to send the right signals to the dog on what behavior is acceptable and what isn't in regards to the cat.

I want to see pictures too!

quidditchfan
July 13th, 2007, 12:18 PM
At first I just thought that she (the GSD) was just curious but it has been three months and things do not seem to be getting better. The cat gets REALLY stressed out when the GSD starts to bark at it and I'm not sure what type of signals that I'm sending to either of them when I try to separate them, so any step-by-step instructions that you have Dracko would be much appreciated. I'm trying to keep them separated as much as possible but I would really like them to just get along. As for pics... I have attached a couple. She hates having her picture taken (I think the camera noise scares her) but she basically looks like a GSD only she stands about 18" at the shoulder

PetFriendly
July 13th, 2007, 09:54 PM
How much exercise is the dog getting? I know one of our cats will 'get the game on' with the dogs, and they will really chase her around if they haven't been out walking and playing yet.

I know with my former room-mate's cat, we had to put him in a crate the first time a dog came in the house because he'd attack it (and it was an adult golden!). With the cat in the crate, the dog was able to ge close to demonstrate to the cat it meant no harm. Then we put the dog in a crate, and put the cat's carrier on top of that to show the cat that being near the dog isn't a bad thing. Then we let the cat out, spinkled catnip around the dogs crate and let the cat explore. It took a week's worth of these sessions, keeping the animals seperated otherwise, and the cat got over the dog...

Does your dog know the command Leave it? You might want to start re-inforcing the command with less interesting things than the cat, once you are sure the dog has gotten the gist of it, start using it for the cat?