Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

wasp sting

pitgrrl
July 11th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Streets went and stepped on a wasp, resulting in a sting on the his foot. I'm wondering how long the pain of a wasp sting usually lasts (I've never been bitten myself, so I really have no idea dunno ) and, if a dog were to have an allergic reaction, how long that takes? Could he swell up hours from now or are we pretty safe if it's been about an hour since it happened?

Is there anything I can do to help with the pain?

Dog Dancer
July 11th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Poor Streets - I hope he's feeling okay soon enough. From personal experience with bee stings (I'm a bee keeper) it doesn't sting for long. I'm not sure of the difference with a wasp. Did you look to see if the stinger is there? I know with bee's you have to pull out the stinger. My dog Shadow is allergic to bee's and wasps and the reaction is pretty quick. I am not a Dr. of course, but if you haven't seen any swelling or reaction yet you're probably safe. You could always just try phoning your vet and asking - I'm sure they'd give you free advice on the phone. Good luck to Streets.

pitgrrl
July 11th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I actually should have mentioned, I did stop in at my vet's office and she said to bring him in if he swells up or developes hives. It's just that often people have great home remedies that vets don't know about.

marko
July 11th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Pitgrrl,

We did a pet podcast on this very topic last week with Dr. Lee and he gave great information as always.

You can listen to the podcast here:
http://pets.ca/blog/?p=37

Hope it helps and hope Streets forgets all about that sting quickly.

Thanks

Marko

rainbow
July 12th, 2007, 01:47 AM
I actually should have mentioned, I did stop in at my vet's office and she said to bring him in if he swells up or developes hives. It's just that often people have great home remedies that vets don't know about.

Keep Benadryl handy or one of the store brands that contain the ingredient Diphenhyramine. :)

TeriM
July 12th, 2007, 02:55 AM
I think generally that most reactions happen quite quickly. Lucy has been stung several times (keeps on snapping and biting at bees) without reaction but my mom's dog got stung last year and his whole face swelled up :eek: so now we keep some benadryl around just in case Riley has an issue.