Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

concerned about breathing

concerned
July 11th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I recently took in a pregnant stray cat. She had seven kittens nine days ago. Six were still born. The one that survived was born very quickly and was smaller than the others. I have been calling him/her Tiger because of the strength and mobility this little thing has. Mom is taking very good care of this little kitty and then yesterday my son noticed the kittens whole body was moving rapidly as if it was breathing very fast and hard. It is very hot and humid here right now (30c humidex at 10:00 am) and I did consider that it may be panting but the kittens mouth is closed. Any ideas anyone? Should I be so worried? Thank you in advance for any comments and help.

krdahmer
July 11th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Yep, you should be concerned especially since 6 were stillborn. I ran into this with a stray I took in as well, because they usually have terrible or no nutrition there can be a lot of issues with the kittens. Even though it is hot and that could be the issue, take the little Tiger in and have a vet look him over. It's always better safe than sorry.

Love4himies
July 11th, 2007, 09:24 AM
How sweet of you to take in this poor mom.

I would take it to the vet to be checked out. Has the mother seen one since you have taken her in?

I have noticed my cats breathing heavier when they are hot.

Keep us posted and if you can post some pictures of mommy and kitten?

concerned
July 11th, 2007, 09:43 AM
The mom is healthy but she is a small cat and the six still born kittens were huge! They were all breech except Tiger. I have had the mom a good 45 or 50 days before the birth and have been feeding her Wellness kitten food. She is the most affectionate cat I have ever seen.
Mom is a beautiful long hair silver tabby and the kitten is black with a white streak up his face and four white legs.
Thank you for your help and lets hope everything is ok. I will post later when I know more of what is going on.

krdahmer
July 11th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks we'd love to know how it turns out. They sound beautiful.

concerned
July 13th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Thank you everyone for your help and concern for little Tiger, he passed before we could get him to the vet. He went peacefully, he went to sleep snuggled with mom and didn't wake up.

bendyfoot
July 13th, 2007, 07:09 PM
:sad: awww...poor baby...:sad:

:rip: little Tiger...you fought hard...

heidiho
July 13th, 2007, 07:33 PM
do you have any pics of momma cat

Love4himies
July 13th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Aw that is so sad. How is momma doing?

concerned
July 13th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Yeah, the little guy was pretty tough. I think mom knew, she was crying a lot the last day. I think she misses them all, poor thing. I have cats so she will have company at least. I will get a friend to take a pic of mom, I don't have a camera, and will post it.
It's so sad.

otter
July 13th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I'm so sorry. Rest easy little Tiger :rip:

rainbow
July 14th, 2007, 12:14 AM
I am so sorry to hear about little Tiger. :sad: :grouphug: :candle:

growler~GateKeeper
July 14th, 2007, 12:39 AM
:sorry: to here about lil' Tiger:candle: :rip: :angel:

please have momma cat spayed asap - sounds like from her size the same thing would happen again

Thank you for taking in momma & her babies:angel:

krdahmer
July 14th, 2007, 05:31 PM
:sad: I know how tough that is, poor little kittens. And mamma too. :grouphug:

concerned
July 15th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Thank you for your caring post everyone.
Mom will be spayed as soon as possible! No worries there.
I am going to try to get pics of mom today.