Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Veterinary Hospital Tashereau Neutering so cheap?

karli444
July 11th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Hello,
I am a student and I need to get my mini poodle neutered. I dont have a ton of money. Most of the vets that I have looked at have been asking around 150. Then I discovered the Vet Hospital Tashereau on the South Shore where they are only asking $75. Does anyone know anything about this place and why it is so inexpensive? I just moved here and I dont know much about the vets.
any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

ancientgirl
July 11th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I don't know anything about that vet hospital, but I know where I live, in Miami, it cost me about $95 to get my kitten Vlad neutered at my vet's office and $245 to get Oksana my female kitty spayed. There are also animal shelters which offer spay and neutering for anywhere between $60 - $125. $75 seems to be a normal price.

Frenchy
July 11th, 2007, 12:44 PM
My vet charges $150 for a 100 lbs dog so $75 for a mini poodle is average. For me anyway.

luckypenny
July 11th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I'd look into it a bit further. Call them and ask for details as to what's included. Approximately 150$ is the average cost for this area of the South Shore. Maybe if you call other vets in the area as well and ask for details as to what's included too, you can compare. I do know that for 75$, that particular vet does not do a blood profile, the pet is given morphine, operated, and then given an anti-biotic shot. That's it. They use dissolving stitches which does not require a further check-up. However, I like the idea of going back after 10 days or so just to make sure everything has healed properly. Many other vets include this follow-up visit and a blood profile in their price, as well as any further antibiotics to be administered at home. You'd really have to ask for more info.

BMDLuver
July 11th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Remember, you get what you pay for both in quality of veterinarian and quality of staff. Certainly not my choice to ever recommend.

luckypenny
July 11th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Remember, you get what you pay for both in quality of veterinarian and quality of staff. Certainly not my choice to ever recommend.

Thanks BMDLuver, that's pretty much what I wanted to say :o :D .

Frenchy
July 11th, 2007, 09:41 PM

Maybe for some vets , but not mine. He has reasonable prices and I am very happy with all the care my dogs get at his clinic. Maybe not the case with the one the OP has asked about. But I don't think because you pay more , you get more quality.

coppperbelle
July 12th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Maybe for some vets , but not mine. He has reasonable prices and I am very happy with all the care my dogs get at his clinic. Maybe not the case with the one the OP has asked about. But I don't think because you pay more , you get more quality.

That is so true. Paying more does not guarantee good care.

BMDLuver
July 12th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Read between the lines. ;)

luckypenny
July 12th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Karli444, you may want to take a look at this when trying to choose a veterinarian http://www.readersdigest.ca/mag/2002/08/pet.html . Lots of great tips, particularly the paragraph titled "Confirm the veterinarian’s status."

In Quebec, you can call the Ordre des médecins vétérinaires du Québec at 1-800-267-1427 to see if there have been substantiated complaints and/or sanctions against a veterinarian. This is a free public service, all you need is the name of the vet and his/her location. You can also ask why some vets charge so much less than others who are in the same community as well as any other questions/concerns you may have.

Good luck (and feel free to post pics of your pup :) ).