Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

poo out of the litter box

Romeo83
July 10th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Hello,
I have a kitten who is eight months old. He has never had any problems using his litter box until recently. Everytime he goes poo, he either drags a little piece with him out of the box, or it gets stuck to the fur around his bum. One time it was actually very badly stuck in his fur and it was very hard to clean out. It's a very messy and unpleasant situation!! :yuck: He is a medium haired tabby cat. Do you think trimming the hair around his bum would help? He is a healthy kitten and was neutered and had a check up about three months ago. I also keep his litter box very clean. Has anyone had a similar situation? I would appreciate your opinions.

badger
July 11th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Oh yes, this problem has come up more than once. Absolutely, clip the hair around his bum if you think it would help and it's not a big stressful deal for him. Some cats are just not up to having their nether parts messed with, even if it's for their own good.
Give him the highest quality food you can afford so his stools are a good consistency and less likely to stick. Make sure he gets lots of exercise so obesity won't eventually prevent him from cleaning himself, which in the natural order of things is how it should be.

Love4himies
July 11th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I have a Himalayan who has this problem. She comes to us, meows and shows us her bum so we can clean it for her :yuck:.

chico2
July 11th, 2007, 08:06 AM
I have the same problem with my Vinnie,beeing white and medium hair,I often have to clean his bum,it's not a big deal to me.:cat:
Trimmimg the hair around his privates is definetly not an option:yell: he told me so:laughing:
I use a soft cloth for the worst of it and he takes care of the rest himself..

ancientgirl
July 11th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Both my Vlad and Oksana are shorthaired kitties, and really don't have much of a problem. But now and then Oksana will have a little bit of poo stuck on her so I use a kitty wipe, which is already moist and gently wipe it off. Sometimes it takes me a couple of times since she doesn't like her little bum being messed with, but it eventually comes off. But yeah, it would help if you trimmed her hair and gave her food that makes her poo a bit more firm.

badger
July 11th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Trimmimg the hair around his privates is definetly not an option he told me so

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

krdahmer
July 11th, 2007, 03:31 PM
And there are shakes you can buy to add to the food that have probiotics in them that help them digest their food and give them firmer stools.

Oh and I had a similar talk with Windy, Chico!:laughing:

ancientgirl
July 11th, 2007, 03:38 PM
And there are shakes you can buy to add to the food that have probiotics in them that help them digest their food and give them firmer stools.

Oh and I had a similar talk with Windy, Chico!:laughing:

Shakes? Where do you get them?

Romeo83
July 11th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks for all your replies..some of them were very funny!! haha
Well, I believe I feed him good food. He eats dry kitten food (He is 8 months old) by the brand "Nutrience" (available only at Pj's pet shops). However, we are guilty of occasionally letting him snack on tiny bits of our food...he enjoys everything from little bits of chicken to little bits of fruit. We do not give him too much of anything though. Do you guys think it's a bad idea to give him any human food at all?? In addition, he has his kitty treats that he gets once a day (chicken flavored treats by "Luv").

I guess I will try to see if I can trim his fur a little. He might argue with me about it though...He is very picky..especially when I try to trim the nails on his back paws! :frustrated: I love the little guy to death :lovestruck: , but his poo surprises are not so loveable!!!! :yuck:

Romeo83
July 11th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Oh by the way...where can I get the kitty wipes that some of you suggested?? Will baby wipes work as well? Also, where can I get that shake thing to make stools firmer??

ancientgirl
July 11th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Oh by the way...where can I get the kitty wipes that some of you suggested?? Will baby wipes work as well? Also, where can I get that shake thing to make stools firmer??

You can get them at the pet store. I usually find them where they have the shampoo's and nail trimmers. I don't suggest baby wipes but buy the ones specially made for cats. The great thing is, they are made to replace baths, so you can wipe kitty down every now and then.

sugarcatmom
July 11th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Well, I believe I feed him good food. He eats dry kitten food (He is 8 months old) by the brand "Nutrience" (available only at Pj's pet shops).

Might I suggest that canned food would actually be better for Romeo than dry. There are a couple problems with dry food, one being that most brands are way too high in carbohydrates (with 3 exceptions: Innova EVO, Wellness CORE, and Nature's Variety Instinct) and cats being obligate carnivores don't need all those carbs. In fact, long-term carb consumption can lead to a plethora of problems like obesity and diabetes.

The other big problem with dry (ALL dry) is that it lacks moisture. Well "duh", you say. But the reason that's a problem is because cats are designed to get all of their water requirements from their food (ie nice juicy mice and birds - which contain around 70% water, similar to canned food). Because of this, they have a low thirst drive and by the time you see a cat drinking, it's already dehydrated. Cats eating only dry food are in a constant state of dehydration. Not good for their kidneys, among other things. Young male cats in particular are prone to developing urinary crystals that can cause dangerous blockages, and one of the best ways to combat this is with a wet food diet (dilutes the urine so that crystals are less likely to form "clumps").

Anyway, if you want to read more on the fascinating topic of feline nutrition :laughing: , I recommend this site: http://www.catinfo.org/

Good luck with the poop issue!

krdahmer
July 11th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I got my shake at the Clever K9 a higher end pet store in St. Catherines. You could ask at any pet store they should carry something similar. Nutrience is kind of a lower, but not the worst, end food... I just talked my mom and dad into switching from it to a higher quality one. (Although their first cat has been on it 9 years and is healthy.) Oh and ya people food, even in very small amount can upset a sensitive belly. But I know those little hopeful furry faces are sooooo hard to say no to!! :cat: :rolleyes:

chico2
July 12th, 2007, 08:17 AM
When hubby and I have dinner,like clockwork Vinnie and Rocky take their chairs at the table for their treats.
I know it's not that great for them,but after one little piece of chicken or beef,they run off happily,knowing they've inspected what we eat:laughing:
Chico will have no part of disgusting human food:cat: