Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I feel like a constant worry wart over Vlad

ancientgirl
July 10th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I know you are all probably tired of me asking about what to expect after neutering and stuff, but I feel like a nutty first time mom.

I had both Vlad and Oksana spayed and neutered on June 29th. I had thought neutering would calm Vlad down a bit, because was being agree towards Oksana, etc...

Fast forward to this weekend, and I'm wondering why he's still playing so rough with her.

Well starting yesterday I began to notice he's very quiet, just walking around, watching Oksana run all over the place and just sitting there. He was like this most of the evening, but at bedtime he did manage to get active.

I'm taking both of them in on Saturday to get their microchips, so I thought I'd ask the vet to perhaps have a look at him.

He's eating well, and using his litter box fine. Vlad is a quiet kitty, he rarely meows, but earlier he was in my closet and began meowing, so I immediately thought something was wrong. He was fine, but I'm still wondering if he's okay.

I've got tons of boxes empty in my dining room, which I moved a few to my bedroom, thinking maybe all the boxes has thrown him off a bit, since there's less room in the dining room than before.

And as if that's not enough worrying, I was searching for something about cat food on another site and saw an entry about something called Rippling Skin Disorder, and now I'm convinced Vlad might have this.

I've no experience with a recently neutered cat. Does his behavior sound like some kind of transitional thing? I'm seeing the vet either way, but I just wanted to know if you guys have experienced something like this.

I swear, I don't think I could ever have kids, I'd be calling the pediatrician every hour.

dtbmnec
July 10th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Breathe and relax...chances are he's fine...chances are he hasn't got that Rippling Skin Disorder...

From the sounds of it he knows something's up. There's a lot of boxes in the dining room and its a little disconcerting. My boys were both a bit quiet right after neutering but within a few weeks they were back running around like crazy.

Breathe :D

Megan

ancientgirl
July 10th, 2007, 08:49 PM
You're right. I worry just way too much. I didn't think that all the boxes and the slowly disappearing things would be something he'd notice. But I am beginning to realize that these little guys are VERY astute. And its been a lot of change for him. First the neutering and now the packing. I think I'm going to buy some Feliway this weekend. Perhaps if I have some here and then when I move in it will be easier for him.

Thanks, I'm breathing...

growler~GateKeeper
July 11th, 2007, 12:05 AM
AncientGirl yes you worry too much, but that can be a good thing - you will know when something IS off.

They are probably a bit worried because the changes - yes they can tell when the slightest thing is different.

Is stressful just being a kitten - so much to explore, so little time, never enough time to play:D :laughing:

When moving day arrives - BEFORE anyone opens the door to remove said boxes please, please put the :cat: :cat: in a secure room (even if its empty of usual contents) w/food, water, litterbox, carrier & a few toys & do not allow anyone in the room at all - not even you until all is moved. This will ensure the kitties are safe & will not run/hide & get lost! Then ensure all outside doors are closed & carefully go in the room, close the door, load kitties in carrier & proceed to move them to new house. When you get there do the same: set up a secure room away from :crazy: moving stuff.

Definately you need to sit down & relax for a minute or ten & remember to breathe;)

Jim Hall
July 11th, 2007, 08:04 AM
well im not tired of hearing your adventures
I get called a worry wart at least once a week either by the vet the rescuer i got my cat from or any number of friends
please keep posting and let us know how vlad is doing
Vlad is a great name for ao cat by the way

ancientgirl
July 11th, 2007, 08:10 AM
AncientGirl yes you worry too much, but that can be a good thing - you will know when something IS off.

They are probably a bit worried because the changes - yes they can tell when the slightest thing is different.

Is stressful just being a kitten - so much to explore, so little time, never enough time to play:D :laughing:

When moving day arrives - BEFORE anyone opens the door to remove said boxes please, please put the :cat: :cat: in a secure room (even if its empty of usual contents) w/food, water, litterbox, carrier & a few toys & do not allow anyone in the room at all - not even you until all is moved. This will ensure the kitties are safe & will not run/hide & get lost! Then ensure all outside doors are closed & carefully go in the room, close the door, load kitties in carrier & proceed to move them to new house. When you get there do the same: set up a secure room away from :crazy: moving stuff.

Definately you need to sit down & relax for a minute or ten & remember to breathe;)

I need to try and just let them be kitties, I know. But Vlad has certainly picked up on the goings on. Oksana is like nothing unsual is happening. She's running around without a care in the world. But I think I have a deeper connection with Vlad, so it makes sense he's probably feeling some of my anxiety.

I was thinking of perhaps boarding them for the night though. I'm planning on moving on a Saturday, and I know the Friday night before is going to be a mad house at my place, not to mention the day of the move. I am usually very stressed and thought they would certainly pick up on that. So I thought I'd take them to the vet Friday evening, then I can pick them up Saturday afternoon after I'm all moved. This way, I'll have things pretty much set up, and I won't have to worry about them getting out.

ancientgirl
July 11th, 2007, 08:11 AM
well im not tired of hearing your adventures
I get called a worry wart at least once a week either by the vet the rescuer i got my cat from or any number of friends
please keep posting and let us know how vlad is doing
Vlad is a great name for ao cat by the way

Yeah, I'm like the queen of the worry warts.

I've always liked the name Vladimir, so Vlad just seemed perfect for the little guy, then Oksana came along and they made the perfect pair of Russian kitties.

krdahmer
July 11th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I've moved my brood twice now, and each time I seclude them in a room as was suggested and they get moved last when most of the furniture is already in and arranged at the new place and everyone is settled down, eating pizza or having a beer.

Every time I start to pack they all get to acting a little weird, meowing at nothing (I think they are yellin at me as to where their things have gone), hanging out in weird spots (Buddy was sleeping in one of the open cupboards- I think I have a pic of that), crawling in the boxes (so I don't forget them ;) ), and generally seem out of sorts.

But after it's all over and they have a new space to sniff and investigate, they calm right down and go back to scouting out the best spots. :D

Jim Hall
July 11th, 2007, 09:16 AM
its amazing how cats find the best spots in the house

Love4himies
July 11th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I have moved many times with my cats and they do notice when something is not in its place or something has changed and they didn't like that at all. Don't worry, they are just being normal cats.

ancientgirl
July 11th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I've moved my brood twice now, and each time I seclude them in a room as was suggested and they get moved last when most of the furniture is already in and arranged at the new place and everyone is settled down, eating pizza or having a beer.

Every time I start to pack they all get to acting a little weird, meowing at nothing (I think they are yellin at me as to where their things have gone), hanging out in weird spots (Buddy was sleeping in one of the open cupboards- I think I have a pic of that), crawling in the boxes (so I don't forget them ;) ), and generally seem out of sorts.

But after it's all over and they have a new space to sniff and investigate, they calm right down and go back to scouting out the best spots. :D

Aww, look at him. Yes, mine like to sit in the boxes. They watched me fill up quite a few and were there watching me load them onto the dolly when my dad came over to help me take them to the new place. And they've been hanging out in the boxes. I feel so bad that they might think I'm going to forget them. Poor sweeties.

krdahmer
July 11th, 2007, 02:29 PM
OH and kind of :offtopic: but just some advice, recycle boxes are GREAT for moving. They can carry like 2-3 times what a regular box can and you can reuse them. I borrowed my moms and used mine to move the kitchen stuff and some smaller things, they worked so great. And they are so sturdy you don't have to worry about them breaking or stuff falling out the bottom! :thumbs up

ancientgirl
July 11th, 2007, 02:37 PM
OH and kind of :offtopic: but just some advice, recycle boxes are GREAT for moving. They can carry like 2-3 times what a regular box can and you can reuse them. I borrowed my moms and used mine to move the kitchen stuff and some smaller things, they worked so great. And they are so sturdy you don't have to worry about them breaking or stuff falling out the bottom! :thumbs up

I think I've got all the boxes I may need. My dad has been bringing me some from where he works, for the past month. I've got boxes coming out of my ying-yang!

I wish I could close my eyes and be moved already.

krdahmer
July 11th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I'm with you I can't wait till they figure out teleportation! Did you guys at least get some relief from the heat yet? It's a nice cool 70 here now, but the past few days were horrible!

growler~GateKeeper
July 11th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I was thinking of perhaps boarding them for the night though. I'm planning on moving on a Saturday, and I know the Friday night before is going to be a mad house at my place, not to mention the day of the move. I am usually very stressed and thought they would certainly pick up on that. So I thought I'd take them to the vet Friday evening, then I can pick them up Saturday afternoon after I'm all moved. This way, I'll have things pretty much set up, and I won't have to worry about them getting out.

Boarding is a great idea that way you know for sure they are safe (& out of the way:D ) Good luck w/moving day.

Did you remember to take 10mins for yourself?

ancientgirl
July 11th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I'm with you I can't wait till they figure out teleportation! Did you guys at least get some relief from the heat yet? It's a nice cool 70 here now, but the past few days were horrible!

Ugh, its been in the high 80's & 90's here with the humidity in the mid to high 70's during the day.

ancientgirl
July 11th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Boarding is a great idea that way you know for sure they are safe (& out of the way:D ) Good luck w/moving day.

Did you remember to take 10mins for yourself?

Yes, I'd be distracted and constantly be wondering if my brother or dad opened the bedroom door by mistake. This way I know they aren't even around and in no danger of getting out.

And yes, LOL, thank you I did take a few moments and told myself to calm down. This evening the little guy was actually acting more like himself. I took some of the boxes in the dining room and put them in the corner of the bedroom. I figured, if he doesn't see so many boxes out here he might not feel so overwhelmed.

Jim Hall
July 12th, 2007, 04:56 PM
your probaly wat too busy too read this, but the best off luck to you and all the assorted souls in your move
Please post and let us know how it went