Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why does my dog like chocolate?

Spoiled
May 7th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Its been going on ever since Easter, when there were chocolate eggs hidden around the house. He began to search, and found one and crunched it in half before any of us could get him. He didn't eat any.

Now today, there were some chocolates on the floor (probably fell down from their usual hiding place where he can't get them) and I came into the room, and he looked at me funny. I noticed a chocolate in his mouth and took it out immediatly. He didn't eat any.

Is it normal for most dogs to go even crazyer over chocolate than their favourite treats? :confused:

I just want to find out a little more information on why he would want to eat chocolate.

Luba
May 7th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Spoiled its just cause of the smell of the sweet sugar, any dog if yu let them would eat it.

Pls go take a lookie and make sure no more is around it can make your baby real sickies!

Spoiled
May 7th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Really? Any dog would eat it. Wow, I guess I'll have to be carful!

There isn't any around where he can get it. There never is usualy.

Bill & Bob
May 7th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Some dogs can eat chocolate, and some can't. My friends dog got into her kids Halloween candy and ate a tonne. Other than having the runs pretty bad he was fine. Other dogs get deathly ill from it.
Something called Theo Bromine in chocolate that they are normally allergic to.

Look at me sounding all experty!

Luba
May 7th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Bill(y) Bob (thorton) LOL had to do that just had to do that!

Some dogs? I thought all dogs?

Bill & Bob
May 8th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Yeesh, I never thought of mine and Bob's name being so close to that guys full name.

chico2
May 8th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Billy-Bobby sounds kind of cute :p
Anyway,why a dog likes choclate? Probably for the same reason I LOVE it,it tastes good :D

Spoiled
May 8th, 2004, 01:56 PM
I heard of a dog eating a whole chocolate bar and it didn't bother her. But I wouldn't want to take a chance.

Bill & Bob
May 8th, 2004, 02:11 PM
No, I think I would rather spell Billy Bobby like this:
Billi Bobbi.
But I would add little hearts above the I for the dots.
Then I'd shoot myself.

Anyhoo, nah, not worth trying a dog on chocolate. Consequences are too dire. Interesting that not all dogs are allergic though.

Luba
May 8th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Ok Bill you gotta explain this one to me, I always thought ALL dogs couldn't have..I couldn't find an article about 'some' ...direct me pls thats interesting

NOT that I would ever ever advocate anyone giving chocolate to their dogs....aside from the cocoa problem there is the sugar issue

Anyway if you got the scoop on something, give it up LOL

Bill & Bob
May 8th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Nope, I've got no scoop to be had. I've just heard that it's deathly bad for dogs, but I've also heard about my friends dog eating almost half a bag of chocolates from Halloween without any serious problems. Don't have an explanation for it at all. No reference or source to cite. Maybe it's just the old 'an exception to every rule' thing?
Although my friends also feed their dog just about anything, including scraps from the table, potatoe chips, etc. etc. etc. They don't overdo it mind you, but if they are having chips they certainly throw the pooch a few. Thus, perhaps their dog has an iron stomach? Not sure.
They kept trying to feed Bob cheesies one day when we were together. I kept asking them not to, but they thought that was just me being anal retentive and persisted. Finally I was getting fed up with it all and suggested that they might get upset if I offered their kids crack or something next time I saw them.
Of course I wouldn't do that, but it got the message across.

Bill & Bob
May 8th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Funny story, sort of. Other day I made some nasty hot Jamaican jerk chicken wings. Love hot spicy foods. Mine will make any man sweat buckets. Well, one little piece of meat (no bone) fell off the plate to the floor. Before i could grab it, Bob munched it up and I couldn't get him to drop it before he swallowed it. Oooh, I don't think he got what he wanted.
He sat there with this weird look on his mug and licked his lips for about half an hour. Eventually the heat went away. My friends told me that he was going to have belly troubles the next day, but no problems to be seen (or picked up for that matter).

MBRA518
May 9th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Ok Bill you gotta explain this one to me, I always thought ALL dogs couldn't have..I couldn't find an article about 'some' ...direct me pls thats interesting

NOT that I would ever ever advocate anyone giving chocolate to their dogs....aside from the cocoa problem there is the sugar issue

Anyway if you got the scoop on something, give it up LOL

Ok I've got VET info on this one.

When my dog was young (about a 1.5 or so) she got into one of those boxes of maccaroons... the ones from walmart for 98 cents... anyway, it was at the back of the counter and she had never gotten anything from there before, but she got at this whole box and downed it while I was in class.

I paniced and called the vet ASAP... they asked what she ate, how much, and how much the dog weighed (about 75-80lbs). They told me not to worry as it was "milk chocolate" and that MC doesn't actually have that much coco in it... it is mostly sugar. So they told me to not worry she would be fine (she was) and to take her for a walk because she was sure to have one He!! of a sugar rush - that was the under statement of the year - she bounced off the walls for the day. :D

But it seems that milk chocolate is not so bad... Dark chocolate is worse, as it has more coco... which is what will really hurt the dog. But the best bet is to just keep them away from all chocolate, just to be safe.

MEEKA
May 10th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Chocolate Is Poisonous To Dogs, Along With Onions And Some Other Things. Do Not Feed Your Dog Any Chocolate As He\she Could Die.

Catt31
May 10th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Ya, I've heard that too! It was on TV a few weeks ago, some news blurb around Easter. The vet on it said that depending on the amount of cocoa in it, how big the dog was, and how much they eat. Bigger dogs can ingest more chocolate and be ok...sort of like the big person drinking more alchohol and he will be ok eh?? He still did not recommend giving a dog chocolate on purpose, but was just saying that IF it does happen, which sounds like it does all the time, not to panic too much, just call your vet and they will guide you on what to do next. It was interesting, as I, like everyone else obviously, believed chocolate was totally 100% poisonous to dogs. I've heard lots of stories of dogs eating a whole box of chocolates and surviving, so there must be some truth to the man!! I still put the chocolates up high, if they stick around long enough to have any left!!! :o heheheh

marko
May 10th, 2004, 12:38 PM
http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-20.htm

Hope it helps,

Marko

Luba
May 10th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Ya I heard all of that and knew the milk choco vs cocoa bean thing but never ever heard it was ok for 'some' dogs to have chocolate.

MBRA518
May 11th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Ya I heard all of that and knew the milk choco vs cocoa bean thing but never ever heard it was ok for 'some' dogs to have chocolate.

I don't think it is "ok" for some dogs... just that it will not hurt some dogs - or it takes more to hurt them due to their size. Like any poison or mediciation, you have to give enough of it for the size to get the effects... The larger the dog the more chocolate required to cause problems.

melanie
May 11th, 2004, 06:19 PM
i love chocolate and would die without it, and charlie just loves it too, i would be worried if she didnt, but then we are both big (not literally sheesh) i food girls. the theo bromide affects all dogs of all shapes and sizes, it is just that my big girl can take alot more than a little one, big dog-she may just get sick and the little one dies. please put up you chocky, what a waste of good chocky, im shocked at you, its called self preservation lady, gosh what is going thorugh your mind, you shocking chocolate waster (im sure it is a sin somewhere) :eek: :p ???
dogs can have any carob or dog chocolate, carob does not have the theo bromide in it neither the doggy chocolate (which charlie just loves). and dog chocolate is heaps cheaper than the good human stuff. i have not met many dogs that dont like the dog chocolate, it always wins me a few friends, and please, for the love of god,PUT AWAY THAT CHOCOLATE for humans only, (i now run arond my kitchen screaming and holding my face in agony, oh the crime of it,ahhhhhhh) :eek: :rolleyes: :p