Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

frustrated

jennifer1977
July 10th, 2007, 08:38 AM
I have had this problem with my cat since i got her. she is 5 years old and once every couple of day she will refuse to poop in her litter box. she will usually go close to it but sometimes she will find a spot in a corner or even on the bed. I feel like i have tried everything, i clean her litter everyday and give some new, I have moved her litter box to where she was consistantly pooping and it worked for a couple of days and then she found a spot right next to it. Any spot that she has gone on gets treated with slightly diluted vinegar water. I don't know what else to do. help.

sugarcatmom
July 10th, 2007, 10:16 AM
You might want to try adding another litter box. Some cats don't like to poop in the same box that they pee in. Also, is it possible that she gets slightly constipated now and then? My cat will occasionlly go outside that box, but it's always related to constipation issues. A cat that's pooping on the bed could be trying to tell you she's uncomfortable. What do you feed your kitty? If you don't already, perhaps adding some canned food to her diet will help.

Good luck!

Love4himies
July 10th, 2007, 10:28 AM
That is a good idea, Sugarcatmom, one of my cats likes to poop and pee in two different litter boxes.

Frenchy
July 10th, 2007, 12:21 PM
You might want to take her to your vet too ! This could mean she is having a health problem. One of my cat did this , what I didn't know before going to the vet is he was doing it because he was constipated , I had to put him on a special diet. Did this cat ever checked out by your vet ?

jennifer1977
July 11th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the great responses. I will definitely try adding another litter box and see if this helps. Both my kitties are are dry food from Purina (lean). I never thought about the constipation aspect, what can I do to help her with the consitipation? Would adding canned food to her diet help?

Jim Hall
July 11th, 2007, 11:08 AM
yup its been my experiance with dry food that it does lead to constipation
try some good quality wet food to help her out

krdahmer
July 11th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Um, I'm pretty sure that everyone here would agree that Purina is also not the best dry food to be feeding. Check out the food forum there are tons of great food suggestions there in other threads.

CyberKitten
July 11th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Yes, I think the food could be an issue - she needs some wet food. Dry food inevitably creates some problems and she may well - at 5 yrs of age - have a UTI so I would bring her to a vet before doing anything to rule out a medical problem - but also start to feed her better food. Purina dry food os awful!! (Lots of grain, not many nutrients! It is like us eating dry corn on the cob or something day in and day out. She needs some wet food! The vet cane prib recommend some but there are many recommendations on the Board.

If it is not medical, the rule of thumb is 2one litter box per cat plus one since she just might want one for urination and another for the other. She may also be unhappy with the litter - but I would have the vet check my main priority. She is a young cat but at 5 yrs, if she has been eating dry food (esp the type Purina is) she may have some medical issues that can be cured by better food.

Usually, inappropriate urination is a cat;s way of letting us know something is wrong.