Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How long will it take my dog to get back to normal after being attacked

temrdm
July 9th, 2007, 10:23 PM
My dog was recently attacked and is on his way to recovery, but he used to have the best demeanor but now is scared and hides. I have never owned a pet before, and I have had him for 4 years so I am totally lost at how to deal with this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

luckypenny
July 9th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Welcome temrdm. I'm so sorry your dog had such a bad experience. A wonderful booklet I've read addresses these issues. If you get a chance, try to find a copy of it. I was unable to find it at our bookstore but I think you can get it here: www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com "The Cautious Canine, How To Help Dogs Conquer Their Fears" by Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D. .

growler~GateKeeper
July 9th, 2007, 10:57 PM
temrdm welcome to the forum

How long ago was the attack, what kind of dog attacked & how badly was your dog injured?

Four years ago my Dal x Lab :rip: at the age of 10 years old was attacked by another dog, Cally had bite wounds on his cheek & tail neither bad enough for sutures but I took him in for a wound cleaning by the vet. I also was bit but much worse than Cally, trying to defend him & keep the other dog away from him - I needed sutures & still have a couple of scars on my arm.

Cally was sad/depressed unresponsive to doorbells/visitors/barking dogs/my cat, didn't want to go for a walk for close to a week before he started to feel like himself again. After that he was back to his old bouncy excitable self.

Your small dog I'm assuming was attacked by a larger dog? S/He may have fear of larger dogs for a while, could be a forever fear, may not ever be afraid as a result of this.

The dog that attacked us was only a little bit larger than Cally was. So he did not fear bigger dogs as a result.

Your dog needs at least a week to recouperate & lots of positive feelings & praise/comfort from you - they know when you're upset/anxious/scared/mad/happy etc, they will react to your feelings ie if your feeling nervous about taking the dog out for a walk the dog is also going to be nervous. If the dog is not ready to go for a walk yet don't force the issue it will only be detrimental to his/her mental state.

Give your dog some time, when ready to go out again bring some treats and keep an eye on how your dog reacts to others.

Most dogs who are attacked are fine after they have sufficient recoup. time -on their own schedule of course:D

Check out the book suggested by LuckyPenny.

Keep us posted on his/her situtation.

temrdm
July 10th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks so much for your advice. He is much better today. He barked and ran a little today. He is a Shiz Tzu and the dog was a Great Dane. I was worried that he would never get back to the way he was, but today is better than yesterday, so I am sure tomorrow will be better too. Last night he just went and hide behind my plants to sleep, he has always sleep with us until this happened to him. He also rolled over and let me rub his belly today! He had to have a drain tube inserted, it came out yesterday morning; and he also had 5 stitches; those will come out next Monday. Again, thanks for answering.