Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Have 2 litter mate puppies

gsdlove
July 9th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Does anyone have 2 puppies from the same litter? I would like some tips/hints. Did you crate train with the both in the same crate? How much time should they spend together? Would it be better to have some one on one time?

LavenderRott
July 9th, 2007, 11:16 PM
You most definately need some one on one time and I would most certainly crate train them seperately. You run a very high risk of them bonding to each other and not you.

Personally - I would NEVER get a pair of puppies at one time. Especially not littermates - they already have a bond.

Toonces
July 10th, 2007, 08:31 AM
My girls are litter mates and altho I adopted them when they were a year and a half old they have a very strong bond but are also very independant and very bonded with us but if one of them thinks the other is in trouble look out, Brandy is scared of snakes and Currie will stand inbetween her and the snake:rolleyes: quite funny to see.

I would crate them seperate and spend seperate play times with you and training aswell. Get them socilazied with other dogs the sooner the better or they may gang up on other dogs when they get older. My two are very good with other dogs but we have alot of doggy company here, Brandy is more of a loner and only plays with her sister Currie but Currie loves when other dogs come for a visit.

Good luck you have your hands full, I am assuming they are gsds by your name are they the same or different sex? just curious I would love to see pics:D

clm
July 10th, 2007, 08:50 AM
I have 2 puppies, but the breeder wouldn't let us have 2 from the same litter as they tend to bond to each other and not to you, so we got them from different litters and they're 2 months apart in age.
The breeder does however keep littermates from time to time herself and lots of individual training and one on one time helps with the bonding. One of the biggest problems she finds is if they are separated later on in life, they are so closely bonded that they have a very hard time if one passes away or goes to another home.

Cindy

pitgrrl
July 10th, 2007, 08:31 PM
My girls are litter mates and altho I adopted them when they were a year and a half old they have a very strong bond but are also very independant and very bonded with us but if one of them thinks the other is in trouble look out, Brandy is scared of snakes and Currie will stand inbetween her and the snake:rolleyes: quite funny to see.

I would crate them seperate and spend seperate play times with you and training aswell. Get them socilazied with other dogs the sooner the better or they may gang up on other dogs when they get older. My two are very good with other dogs but we have alot of doggy company here, Brandy is more of a loner and only plays with her sister Currie but Currie loves when other dogs come for a visit.

Good luck you have your hands full, I am assuming they are gsds by your name are they the same or different sex? just curious I would love to see pics:D

I think you have the girl version of my two :laughing:

I have two brothers from the same litter and there are definately some things I wish I'd done differently. I haven't had any problem with them bonding to the humans in the house, but I do wish I'd separated them more when I first found them as they can get pretty anxious when away from each other.

I would also say it's important to work on training with each dog individually, other wise you can end up with a situation where one dog is following the other, but won't follow a different command than what is being asked of the first dog.