Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting Belle at 8wks instead of 10wks old??

Smiley14
July 9th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Ah! I just got an email from the fosters who have my puppy asking if it would be okay if I take her on July 28th when she is 8 weeks old instead of our planned August 11th when she is 10 weeks old. They need to go out of town that weekend in July.

Here is what she said in the email:

We have talked about letting belle leave early because the pups now have all of their teeth and Hildi is weaning them. With her being a rescue, I guess we
are lucky she has been this good so far. The pups are eating and drinking
on their own already. Belle sucks up half the tray of food and then passes
out while the other puppies are eating!

What do I do?? I'm panicking a bit here because I'm one of those anal people that plan everything way in advance and this threw me for a loop! I called the airline and I can switch my flight to that date, but would have to confirm with them by midnight tonight in order to still be able to use my airlines miles. The flight otherwise costs $1180. I'm using 50k airline miles to be able to fly for free. So I have to decide in the next few hours!

What should I expect bringing a puppy home at 8wks instead of 10 weeks?? Should I go ahead and do it or insist on at least 10 weeks? (Although as they need to leave town, I'm not sure what that would mean. I might have to wait for them to get back I would imagine and then not know who would be watching the puppy during that time. But I'm sure they would find someone responsible to watch their dogs). I'm such a worrier, this makes me nervous! I don't know what to do! :o Please let me know what you would recommend! Thanks!! :)

Frenchy
July 9th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I don't know much about puppies , but in the old days , they were ready to go after 6 weeks , now we know it's better to wait a bit longer ... but I think 8 weeks is just fine if the pups are healthy. :stork-baby: woohooo ! :goodvibes:

jiorji
July 9th, 2007, 09:04 PM
i think 8 weeks is the general age they're let off from breeders

Smiley14
July 9th, 2007, 09:22 PM
I think the ideal age is around 10-12 weeks now, but the Foster is a vet tech, so I would hope she knows what she's talking about! Luckily, I've been shopping up a storm already, so already have everything purchased that I could possibly need. :o I emailed her back with a few more questions, so hopefully she'll get back to me right away!

Frenchy
July 9th, 2007, 09:24 PM
And if you get home and find the pup is not ready, you can always return him :rolleyes:
Just kidding :D

I think everything will be ok , stop worrying. :grouphug:

Smiley14
July 9th, 2007, 09:26 PM
LOL! I know, I know, I'm a total worry wart. :o I just remembered also that the airline requires a minimum age of 8 weeks old. She would be one day shy of 8 weeks since she was born on Sunday, June 3rd and I would be flying Sat July 28th. One day wouldn't matter, would it?? I have no idea how they would verify her age. They don't even require a health certificate for domestic flights, although it's recommended to get one anyway in case airport security asks to see it.

luckypenny
July 9th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Can the foster wait until 9 weeks? If the puppies will be weaned by then, I guess it's alright if they leave their mother. However, if I'm not mistaken, it's the litter mates that are needed a little longer. Will all the puppies be gone by 8 weeks? If so, do you have any friends with small healthy puppies? Perhaps you can get Belle lots of play dates with another puppy or two :shrug: .

Smiley14
July 9th, 2007, 09:45 PM
LuckyPenny, that's my understanding as well, that the reason 10-12 weeks is more ideal is for better socialization with Mom and littermates. I don't know anyone else with puppies right now, except my trainer of course with all her puppy classes I bring Petey to as an assistant! But then my understanding is that is not safe to be around other puppies or dogs like that until they have had all their shots??

luckypenny
July 9th, 2007, 10:16 PM
You know, I had forgotten you had Petey :o . So that's in your favor. I don't think I'd recommend it if Belle would have no dogs at all to socialize with.

As for puppy classes...from my past experiences, I think it's a chance I would take (it really depends on the breed of dog). However, there are some places that require that all puppies have at least one vaccination and be de-wormed by the time they start. Also, they disinfect the environment with bleach, Virkon, or some such cleaners to avoid contamination. They would also provide these products during classes so that owners have to clean up immediately after their puppies. I've visited trainers that are extremely strict on cleanliness and ask for proof of vaccinations and other meds prescribed for de-worming prior to registration for classes. They realize how important dog/dog and dog/human socialization is for dogs, especially during the early 'imprint stages' between 3 and 16 weeks.

But in your case, seeing you already have pets in the home, I don't think bringing her home earlier would be such a problem. I would look into starting her in puppy classes as soon as you feel it's safe though (ask your trainer if he/she requests proof of vaccinations from the other owners). Will the foster have her vaccinated at least once prior to her coming to your home? This is something else I would highly recommend (a minimum of 48 hours before she's scheduled to leave).

Rainy
July 9th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Ideally 12 weeks and even more in some cases is best.It is for socialization and manners that the mommy teaches and the heirarchy that they develop as siblings living,learning and playing together.I honestly think that you are the best place for this puppy because 1) You do have a dog that can teach some manners and socialization untill all shots are had.
2)Although these people were kind to adopt mom and care for the babies (which is awesome!!!)They were not prepared for this litter and are very lucky that they didn't lose mom or the babies during delivery especially travelling with her so close to term.
3)Who will be caring for the puppies when they go away?Belle will be just fine with you.:)

Smiley14
July 9th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Thank you SO much for the advice and support!!!! You guys are so awesome!! :grouphug:

I finally called them since I was getting too anxious waiting for their email and asked more questions. They have a family emergency, the pups are already weaned and very independent and they will be having the other ones picked up at 8weeks now too and will be bringing the Mom with them. Apparently they had a familiy emergency come up and don't know how long they will be gone for. So while I'm still very nervous about it, I went ahead and agreed to pick up at 8 weeks. I called the airline back and got my flight switched. Still able to use my miles thank goodness!!! Got charged $80 for the change, but at least it all worked out. I am sending a package to the Fosters with the crate, puppy pads, blankets, sweater, and toy. And they will meet me at the airport two hours before the flight leaves so I can get checked in with Belle. I'm really nervous! I hope this is the right decision. I just didn't know what else to do!

Oh, Belle got her first shots today and will get her second shots on the 23rd, a week before the flight. The airline was fine with that and with her being 8 weeks. That is their minimum age requirement. The Fosters will get the health certificate and proof of vaccinations so far from the vet on the 23rd.

I'll call my trainer tomorrow and ask her what she thinks about classes too. I do know she collects proof of vaccinations and such. I thought her minimum age for classes was 14 weeks, but I can't remember for sure! I'll find out. And hopefully Petey will be a good teacher in the meantime! LOL! Thanks guys!!!!

Crestedcrazy
July 9th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Congratulations!

8 weeks should be fine, my little girl Niya was almost 9 weeks when we had her flown from the USA in Iowa to Seattle and hubby met her at the airport and then drove home back to Vancouver Island a very very long trip for the baby girl and I was a nervous wreck the whole time.

She was fine and as it turns out is such a good little traveler now, not sure if that had anything to do with it or not but who knows!

I would suggest having some Nutri-cal for her though for the flight to keep her strength up.

And again Congratulations and I'm looking forward to seeing pics over in that section :)

rainbow
July 10th, 2007, 02:49 AM
WOO HOO ....we get pics two weeks earlier. :highfive: Glad you were able to switch your flight. :thumbs up I'm sure everything will be fine and you must be getting so excited. :D

Smiley14
July 10th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks guys!!!! :grouphug:

Watch for pics of our flying adventure in about three weeks! :) LOL!

Frenchy
July 10th, 2007, 09:10 PM
WOO HOO ....we get pics two weeks earlier. :highfive:

I was thinking the same thing ! :laughing:

Smiley14, don't forget until then , you have to eat right and don't forget to breathe ! :D (funny how we can feel how hyper you are in your post :laughing: )

wdawson
July 10th, 2007, 09:51 PM
i think 12 weeks is better......so send him to me for a month or so.:laughing:

hazelrunpack
July 10th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Wow! gone for a day and look what happens! :D Congratulations, Mummy! :grouphug: :goodvibes: (<---Smiley doing a happy dance.) How exciting! :D

Can't wait for the pictorial! :highfive:

Lucky lucky Belle...and lucky lucky Smiley! You'll do great together. :thumbs up Petey will take care of the canine end of things and you'll get to spoil her rotten in all the best sorts of human ways. It's a win-win situation. :D

clm
July 11th, 2007, 06:52 AM
I got both my pups at 8 weeks from a very good breeder, and the way the litters were tormenting their mothers, I think they were glad to see them go :laughing:
Can't wait to see the pics.

Cindy

Smiley14
July 11th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks guys!!!!! :grouphug: