Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Senior Cat Health

suefleet
July 9th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Our 15-year old male cat has had stomach problems on and off for years - he's nervous and we've been able to keep the trouble at bay with steroid shots. However in the past 2 days he's started to vomit mostly liquid (instead of the undigested cat food he will occassionally vomit) and this morning I found 3 different puddles of cat urine. The urine had a bloody tint to it.

We've made an appointment with our vet (they won't give any advice over the phone) but I'm just curious to know if this is something that could possibly be associated with his advanced age. I just don't want to put him through unnecessary stress via testing, etc. if the inevitable is close.

Does anyone have any advice or similar situations to share?

Many thanks!

sugarcatmom
July 9th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Sorry that your kitty isn't feeling well. The issues you're describing aren't necessarily due only to age, but it sounds like something is definitely wrong. Is your cat eating and drinking normally (not too much or too little?). Inappropriate urination with blood in it could be a sign of urinary tract infection, which is very treatable with antibiotics. Is your vet appointment soon? because if not, you might want to try getting him in faster (like today). Many cats live well past 15, so don't give up on him just yet!

Dr Lee
July 10th, 2007, 12:26 AM
It sounds like blood and urine testing will be well worth the time and cost to help evaluate your pet.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.:pawprint:

growler~GateKeeper
July 10th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Definately he needs to see a vet asap. Another possiblility to sugarcatmom's suggestion is bladder/kidney stones especially prevalent w/male cats

Duffy (16 years old female :cat: ) & I send you & yours :goodvibes: &:fingerscr

rainbow
July 10th, 2007, 02:28 AM
I agree with what everyone has said and you should take him to the vet as soon as possible. It sounds like it could be kidney disease which can be manageable. Good luck at the vet and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes: