Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spider Bite

jesse's mommy
July 9th, 2007, 04:48 PM
So I'm sitting here browsing Ebay and I see Jesse "dancing" around and take a look closer and see this big a$$ spider on her back. I do my "scream" and shoo the spider off and kind of stun it. I grab a tissue and kill the thing. Now, Jesse didn't yelp or anything like that, but I don't know if this spider bit her or not, nor do I know anything about spiders. I saved it just in case. But here is my question, since I'm so "insect stupid", what would I look for in case this thing did bite her. She's laying next to me now, but it could be because of my "scream". Should I dab her but with alcohol or something in case it did bite? I'll try to take a picture of it in case we have an entomologist (sp?) here.

krdahmer
July 9th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Take a picture for sure see if anyone here knows if the spider could be poisonous (I know you guys in the southern states have some nasty critters... had a run in with a poisonous one in Arkansas a few years back.). Also try a spider site to see if you can identify it and there should be a health site all about how to deal with spider bites. Just google it or something. Hope it was just a pest and not anything serious!:fingerscr

I never thought of it, but I imagine that cats and dogs do get spider bites just like us eh?

jesse's mommy
July 9th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Alright, got a picture. Any ideas?

rainbow
July 9th, 2007, 05:45 PM
EEEEWWWW .....what long legs it has. :eek:

It doesn't look like any of these: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in011

I know with humans spider bites get a rash around them. None of any pets I've had ever got a spider bite. I did hear of someone's cat getting bit around here and it swelled right up around the bite. I hope Jesse is okay. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

rainbow
July 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Maybe it's the long-jawed orb-weaver? Or possibley the golden silk spider. :shrug:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in011

jesse's mommy
July 9th, 2007, 05:53 PM
What about this one? Does it look like this? I'm so NOT a spider person. :yuck:

rainbow
July 9th, 2007, 05:56 PM
What about this one? Does it look like this? I'm so NOT a spider person. :yuck:

That one definitely has the hairs on its legs. What's it called? Did the one you kill have the stripes on its body like that one?

jesse's mommy
July 9th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Rabid Wolf Spider
GENUS and SPECIES: Rabidosa rabida
The Rabid Wolf Spider, Rabidosa rabida, is a typical member of the wolf spider genus Rabidosa. Wolf spiders in this genus are very common in Kentucky and grow to about 1" in length. They are characterized by bold brown and white stripes on the cephalothorax. The picture of the female wolf spider carrying spiderlings (shown above) is also in the genus Rabidosa.

filox
July 9th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Venom in spiders work by dissolving the tissue, if it where a venomous spider, the area of the bite will be very tender, your dog will be in pain.

In any case, watch him for a couple of hours, look out for excess salivation, shaking, Pain, twitching...

Even if it was a venomous spider, it was on the back, the possibilities of the spider fangs going trough the fur of the back and catching skin are very low...

Cheers.

rainbow
July 9th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Good information Filox....sounds like you know spiders.

Jesse's Mommy, did the one you kill have the stripes on it?

jesse's mommy
July 9th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I can't tell. That's the part I squished. :o

rainbow
July 9th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I can't tell. That's the part I squished. :o

Well, I guess that's the only part you could have. :laughing:

If it is the rabid wolf spider it's harmless according to this site....

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/spiders4.html

jesse's mommy
July 9th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I hope it's not poisonous. :fingerscr

rainbow
July 9th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not. How is Jesse right now?

jesse's mommy
July 9th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Chewing on a bone and annoying her Daddy. :laughing:

rainbow
July 9th, 2007, 06:41 PM
WOO HOO Jesse :highfive: ....I guess she's alright then. :laughing:

Frenchy
July 9th, 2007, 08:16 PM
ewwwww :yuck: I am so never never moving to Florida. I like black spiders but this one , yuck ! How big was it ?

krdahmer
July 9th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Oh I am so having creepy nightmares tonight!:yuck:

Lukka'sma
July 9th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Hope Jesse will be OK:fingerscr